I can't get uploaded

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

7A2c3Ml wrote: June 19th, 2019, 9:17 am I just gave all the steps, above. I do see one discrepancy between my "export audio" window and what Phil shows on his video. After he hits the "save" button, a screen opens showing a line spreading from left to right, indicating the transfer of the file. I GET NO SUCH SCREEN
This is the "Edit Metadata tags" screen. If you don't see it when you click "Save", you might have it de-activated. If you have it activated, but it doesn't turn up, then something is wrong.
So please check if you have the Metadata Tags editor activated, by going to menu Edit -> Preferences, "Import / Export" tab and look for "Show Metadata Tags editor before export". It has a square which you can check or un-check, to activate or de-activate respectively. It shouldn't affect exporting in any other way, except allowing you to add metadata before exporting.

PS: And also read through all posts, because a lot of people are trying to help and everyone has great suggestions, so don't miss them :mrgreen:
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

Tried twice more, no great success. As suggested, I opened a new file, "Librivox", on my desktop. I theoretically sent it there, since that is where I SAID for the file to be saved. When I went to upload, however, I found the Librivox file, but there was nothing in it. I am beside myself with frustration.
My name is Mark
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do you know someone local who is pretty good at computers and can help you out in person? I'm not sure how we can resolve this remotely. It would be better if someone were standing over your shoulder to see what you see.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

It would be useful if there's a Librivoxer near the original poster.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

I agree with Peter. i don't know whether a "computer expert" is what will help here. if someone who is ALREADY successfully recording on Librivox can come and take a look, that person will be in the best position to know what I'm doing wrong, and what "doing right" consists of.
My name is Mark
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It sounded to me like you were more having Windows issues than Audacity/recording issues at this point, which is one reason I suggested a regular computer person. They're also easier to find than a LibriVoxer, since there are more of them. ;)

Where are you?

Is your computer a laptop or otherwise portable? It would probably be easier to find someone if you could meet at a neutral place rather than at your home.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

(I use TeamViewer for connecting remotely, if that's something you have on your computer... If the name doesn't mean anything to you, ignore my post :) )
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

7A2c3Ml wrote: June 19th, 2019, 8:19 am When you say"Saving is not the one I want", when I am on that screen that first opens up after I hit "export to MP3", there IS no further "export" to hit, ONLY "save". Question: at the top, where it first asks where do I want to save the file TO, I get variations on "Desktop". SHOULD it say something about LAME? LAME doesn't even seem to enter into things, even though so far as I know, I have now installed it.
Hmmmmm. when you choose "export to MP3", that should be it. You may be using an earlier version of Audacity that had no fly out box to choose the format such as MP3, FLAC, etc. I am using 2.3.0 which does have that feature. I know that earlier versions just had the 'export' button and nothing opened up to the side to choose from, it automatically assumed MP3 if I had exported that way before. .

2). Where it asks where to save the file TO, variations on desktop is fine, choose one and remember it of course. It should not say anything about LAME because you almost certainly have it installed so that is one posibility we can say is not on the table. It's a beautiful day here in Louisiana, how about your area? And I admire your persistence; hang in there. :clap: Hello Kitty says hi Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

Just thought I'd add some more details, in case anything is relevant at this point beyond "It's not working"
1. After I've hit "SAVE"-- and as I've said before, no graphic shows up indicating anything is happening--the audio screen disappear, and I'm back on the Audacity dash
2. I assume I've nothing more to do here, so I go to X it out
3. Another screen pops up, asking if I want to "save the project",and I indicate NO
4. Now I go to the Uploader
5.When I click on "add files", I get all those choices, and I naturally click on "Librivox", since that's what I'd indicated on the "audio screen" as to where I wanted the file saved to
6. When I click on Librivox, it SAYS there is a file for June 20, i.e TODAY, the very recording I've just made! and yet
7. When I click to upload, I get the message "No item matches your search"!!!
My name is Mark
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've been avoiding responding to you, since there have already been so many people offering help, and I'm afraid of muddying the waters if there are too many of us throwing suggestions at you. But, at risk of further confusing things (and feel free to ignore me if I'm not helping), I'll venture to ask a couple of questions.

After you save the file in your LibriVox folder, you've said that you're not seeing it show up in the upload dialogue box. But can you see it when you look in your own folder? When you go to File Explorer in Windows, does it show up there? If so, you should be able to drag and drop it onto the uploader, so you won't have to worry about clicking the "Add files" button. If not, I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions. :( I've been following the discussion, and at first thought that LAME might be missing, but it seems you've cleared that hurdle already.

The team of Audacity developers, from what I've seen, are very knowledgeable and willing to help. You might try over there. Here is their FAQ help page on MP3 Export Problems, but I don't see anything there that describes your problem. You can ask them for help by posting in their forum.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: June 18th, 2019, 12:37 pm Unless...

Have you installed LAME?
In checking out Audacity's forum, I've just discovered that LAME is now included and does not require a separate download and install. This is for version 2.3.2, released on May 13. FYI.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

1. After I've hit "SAVE"-- and as I've said before, no graphic shows up indicating anything is happening--the audio screen disappear, and I'm back on the Audacity dash
2. I assume I've nothing more to do here, so I go to X it out
3. Another screen pops up, asking if I want to "save the project",and I indicate NO
the 'save' is to save the file as an audacity file, and it will have an ending of .aup. This type of file will not upload LibriVox, it is just Audacity's way of saving files you are still working with.

The 'export' choice is the one you want. This should give you the option of exporting as an MP3 file. (You do need some audio in the track for this; an empty track won't export). Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We've gone through this already. They ARE exporting. When you go to Export, the button to confirm the export says SAVE.

The problem right now is the missing file AFTER export (or whether it's exporting at all after confirming).
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

At some point, I would suggest unistalling Audacity, and re-installing it from scratch, in case the first installation is faulty...
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

How about exporting to another format and see what happens? In the drop-down menu for "Save as", choose "FLAC files" instead of "MP3 files". The uploader accepts FLAC files, but does your Audacity export at all?