Need help with weird reverb

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DianaEve

Post by DianaEve »

There's a strange reverb being added to my file by the tiny closet in which I record, and it has been resistant to both additional sound insulation in the form of large bedding and to a professional deverb plugin (ERA-Reverb). Here is a test recording. Is there any advice anyone can give in regards to eliminating this troublesome reverb? Thanks.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Considering the wide variety of our members' equipment and circumstances, this test recording sounds just fine to me.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't hear reverb.

The mic maybe sounds a little hot/sensitive, but that's being really picky.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Diana,

I don't hear the reverb either. If you're using Audacity, make sure that in Preferences -> Recording the checkbox "Software playthrough of input" is OFF (I never tried turning it on, but that's the only thing that comes to mind - you're likely hearing your track fed back to you somehow).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

tovarisch wrote: June 17th, 2019, 5:43 pm Diana,

I don't hear the reverb either. If you're using Audacity, make sure that in Preferences -> Recording the checkbox "Software playthrough of input" is OFF (I never tried turning it on, but that's the only thing that comes to mind - you're likely hearing your track fed back to you somehow).
You're a genius. That must be it!
DianaEve

Post by DianaEve »

Thank you! I went back and fiddled some more. This is so strange. When I listen with my Focusrite it's fine. However, if I plug my headphones into my computer that's when I get all the reverb and start sounding like I'm making pronouncements from on high.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

This is caused by latency in your computer handling your sound. Your Focusrite has much smaller latency (you don't even notice it).

It's akin to what is described in the well-known joke: "Doctor, when I do this, it hurts! -- Well, don't do that."
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please