1-Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
robinsnyder

Post by robinsnyder » June 14th, 2019, 11:56 am

robinsnyder

Post by robinsnyder » June 15th, 2019, 3:54 pm

I could really use some help with this to get to a point of approval to move forward. The software check of the file came out fine, but I will appreciate a listener review to let me know if acceptable - and if so, to give me an OK - so I can read for a short project or two - and then move on to the solo reading I have chosen.

...your help will be greatly appreciated!

Whobajube

Post by Whobajube » June 15th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Seems to be a bit of a backlog in one minute tests right now.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=75394

By my count there are about 10 yet to get done before yours (9 before mine :P ) We'll all have to be patient and remember that these are volunteers with a real life outside of this. There's a weekly and fortnightly poetry reading on the short works board. I'm not certain, but I'm sure it would be alright to try your hand at one of those while you wait.

Cheers,
JB

robinsnyder

Post by robinsnyder » June 15th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Thanks!

I hope I didn't sound pushy...just a little confused at times. I appreciate the information and will wait patiently. I didn't know how it worked and that they were done in order...thought it worked like getting a DPL

thanks again so very much!

silverquill

Post by silverquill » June 15th, 2019, 7:48 pm

robinsnyder wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 11:56 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_robinsnyder.mp3

Audacity - Windows - USB microphone
Here are a few notes for you.

All of the technical specs are on target! That is just great. :)
Yourr reading is just fine, perhaps a little fast on the pace, but I tend that way myself. Just a matter of style, and perfectly understandable.

The main issue is the background noise. USB mikes will always pick up some of the computer hum as well as anything else. Running noise reduction will eliminate most of that, and do so routinely on my recordings. There is, however, some rhythmic clicking, to fast to be a clock, to regular to be a clothes dryer. Take a listen closely, especially at the beginning and ending silences and you may be able to identify and eliminate it. The noise reduction feature softens this somewhat, but does not totally eliminate it.

Finding a quiet environment for recording is one of the big challenges many of us face. But, I'll save my stories for another time.

See what you can do, and if you need any help, let me know.

robinsnyder

Post by robinsnyder » June 15th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Thanks so much! I didn't hear the background noise, but I will work on that the first few days of this week. I did hear a click when I stopped recording, but I think it was from clicking the mouse...have to turn of key stroke and mouse clicks.

I'll try the noise reduction and also finding a better place to record....hmmm...I think I know what the noise was. I had the ceiling fan on!!! ...so when I played the recording to myself I didn't notice it then either as it was on then too. sigh...I'm so used to that fan being on all the time, I don't notice the hum - and I didn't even think of it. THANK YOU!!!!