Walk in closet / Studio

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

My neighbors like---no, LOVE---mowing their lawns and the rumble-grinding-whirring-chopping noises are driving me crazy. (We won't talk about weed eaters.)

I have a walk in closet in which I could record, though I don't use WI-FI (to everyone's absolute amazement and chagrin.) I can run a cable into the room easily enough, however, but I am wondering if all the blankets and suits and all that soft stuff is good or bad.

It's funny, I no longer dress unless I'm a lector at church, and my health has largely brought that to an end. So I dress for funerals. (Is that morbid in today's age.)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TMI. I know. I know.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

No it's not. Kevin, I understand how annoying it is when the neighbors mow, but they can't help it. I'd say the best thing to do when you want to record, and the neighbors are out and about, is to go to the complete other side of the house, and then set up a tiny studio or something... table, a chair, mic etc. Then test and see if noise reduction can get rid of all that grass cutting noise. You don't have to hide in the closet, the monsters might wake up from the mowing too. :D <smile>
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

First, recording in the nude is nothing to be ashamed of. We've all done it at least once. The unused clothing in the closet is a good thing - absorbs sound and deadens echoes, like moving blankets and acoustic foam.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

sjmarky wrote: June 14th, 2019, 9:10 am First, recording in the nude is nothing to be ashamed of. We've all done it at least once.
Speak for yourself. :wink:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

sjmarky wrote: June 14th, 2019, 9:10 am First, recording in the nude is nothing to be ashamed of. We've all done it at least once. The unused clothing in the closet is a good thing - absorbs sound and deadens echoes, like moving blankets and acoustic foam.
You've never seen me naked!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ej400 wrote: June 14th, 2019, 7:33 am No it's not. Kevin, I understand how annoying it is when the neighbors mow, but they can't help it. I'd say the best thing to do when you want to record, and the neighbors are out and about, is to go to the complete other side of the house, and then set up a tiny studio or something... table, a chair, mic etc. Then test and see if noise reduction can get rid of all that grass cutting noise. You don't have to hide in the closet, the monsters might wake up from the mowing too. :D <smile>
You are probably right in all of this. And there is certainly enough editing to be done while the mowers howl.
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

I record exclusively in my walk in closet. The sound and echo absorption is awesome. Best place in the house (double-wide mobile home). I did have to remove our WiFi router from there b/c my mic is super sensitive to just about everything.

Whatever you do, and I’ve learned this the hard way, be very cautious about recording in a small area with a backup power supply with lead acid batteries. They can go bad and release hydrogen sulfide gas. Smells like rotten eggs. Thankfully we figured out where the strange smell was coming from and i’m A OK! :shock: (I knew our laundry couldn’t smell that bad!)
April
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

LikeManyWaters wrote: June 17th, 2019, 8:04 pm I record exclusively in my walk in closet. The sound and echo absorption is awesome. Best place in the house (double-wide mobile home). I did have to remove our WiFi router from there b/c my mic is super sensitive to just about everything.

Whatever you do, and I’ve learned this the hard way, be very cautious about recording in a small area with a backup power supply with lead acid batteries. They can go bad and release hydrogen sulfide gas. Smells like rotten eggs. Thankfully we figured out where the strange smell was coming from and i’m A OK! :shock: (I knew our laundry couldn’t smell that bad!)
Wow! I'm glad you're okay!