accessing LV catalogue with iPad ?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

from the help line
I work in a skilled nursing facilty. We have a few visually impaired residents, who currently receive audio books on tape through the public library (we borrow the machines and they send us the tapes). However, we also have several sub-acute patients who inquire about audio books. Is there a way to download an app on our iPad so they can browse your cataloge and listen to books they choose?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Well, there is this: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_To_Listen_On_Your_Apple_Device

iTunes is still a thing, isn't it? Did I hear it was threatened with closure?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, I think my husband got a notification that iTunes was going to be discontinued. I don't use it, so I didn't pay much attention. But last I heard, there are still several third party LibriVox apps. I'm sure there are some that work on iPads.
kayray

Post by kayray »

A free way to do this is to do is to subscribe to each book as a "podcast" (this is independent from iTunes)

1. Browse our catalog on the iPad and find the book you want.
2. Copy the "RSS" link by pressing on the green button and choosing "copy"
3. Open the apple "Podcasts" app on the iPad. It might come preinstalled -- otherwise, it's free download from the app store. The icon is purple.

4. Click "library" at the bottom, then "edit" at the top, then "Add podcast by url" in the righthand column
5. Paste in the RSS url that you copied from the catalog snd click "subscribe"

The book will now show up under "shows". From there you can download each chapter as an "episode" by pressing the plus sign and then the cloud.

I don't like the "Podcasts" app interface, so I use the same technique to subscribe to each book in my favorite podcast app, Bookmobile. It costs $3 or so and is wonderful.

There are of course many apps out there that will access our catalog but the drawback I have found is that none of them seem to update frequently, so the newest books are never included.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
loon

Post by loon »

(Trying Bookmobile now. ‘Castro’ scrambles the order of chapters if I don’t add them one...at...a...time.)
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
kayray

Post by kayray »

Bookmobile has a steep learning curve because it has SO MANY features and options. One tip -- after you download a book, tap the "burger" at the top and switch it to "audiobook mode". :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
ej400

Post by ej400 »

If Ipad's are able to connect to the internet, (don't know, don't have one, but I'm sure they do), you could just go to librivox.org, search for the book you want and download it through there. I'm not sure where they downloaded files would go, as I do not have an Ipad, but maybe you could access audiobooks from the "downloaded" widget?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

re files in order . can you download the m4b format to them ?

Anne
loon

Post by loon »

I haven’t gotten Castro to do that. I think I’ll drop the $4.00 on the unlocked version of Bookmobile.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

My suggestion is to:

1. Go to "App Store"
2. Search for "LibriVox Audio Books" (the free version works fine, albeit with ads)
3. Download to iPad
4. Enjoy

This app and its developer have no connection to LibriVox.org, nor do I personally have any connection to them. I'm just a satisfied user.

HTH,

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock