Gutenberg down

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I go to gutenberg, and can access the search bar, and click on the bookshelves etc, but I can't get anywhere past the homepage without getting a message saying : Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache Server at www.gutenberg.org Port 80

So it says it's down for maintenance :(
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ej400 wrote: June 14th, 2019, 6:58 am I go to gutenberg, and can access the search bar, and click on the bookshelves etc, but I can't get anywhere past the homepage without getting a message saying : Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache Server at www.gutenberg.org Port 80

So it says it's down for maintenance :(
I know very little about such things, but that's what I assume. I'm using Archive.org just now---taking a break---but looked in at PG earlier this morning. It was down at that time.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com.au/ sees it down for everyone so there a few alternatives - a Martian spaceship crash landed on their server, it's national ban Ebooks day, someone forgot to plug the servers in, or normal service will be resumed as soon as possible or all or none of these things. Take your pick :D

Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

This is one reason why I print off what I have to read... but today someone forgot to stock pile :roll:

I mean, it's easier on the eyes, you can enlarge the text (although I make it smaller to save paper), and then you don't have to worry about the computer dying on you.

But yes, my pick is it's national ban Ebooks day.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It's back! It's back, it's back, it's back, it's back, it's back!

*Dancing for joy*

I was really feeling the deprivation, guys. :lol:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It was down for a least 20 hours or so, and rotten timing for me, because I had a lovely free afternoon yesterday, at home by myself. I was all ready to be SO productive!

Funny story: when I tried a few minutes ago (yet again) to access the book I wanted, and it actually worked, I gave a huge gasp and exclaimed, "It's back!" My husband, unaware I was looking at my phone, jumped up on the instant, fully alert and ready to kill the wasp which he believed I'd caught sight of. :lol:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Funny story! :lol: <laughing> Ok, I'm going to go an record now... IT'S BACK!!!!!
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I don't print my recording source but I do download the text from gutenberg or archive.org as soon as I start a project. I need that control, to know the text is there whether it's my wifi that goes down or external sites go down. For those of you who print you will have it readily available to print from as you need it.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Darvinia wrote: June 14th, 2019, 10:49 am I don't print my recording source but I do download the text from gutenberg or archive.org as soon as I start a project. I need that control, to know the text is there whether it's my wifi that goes down or external sites go down. For those of you who print you will have it readily available to print from as you need it.
:shock: Genius!
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Darvinia wrote: June 14th, 2019, 10:49 am I don't print my recording source but I do download the text from gutenberg or archive.org as soon as I start a project. I need that control, to know the text is there whether it's my wifi that goes down or external sites go down. For those of you who print you will have it readily available to print from as you need it.
Hats off the the most organized script person. Maybe I should try that (scratches that thought. I would rather fear for my life)
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

What I do is just copy the chapter I will be reading then shrink the Word copy and put it on one side of my screen, and then put Audacity on the other and away I go. That way I can get an exact count of the words I have to do and about where I am as I read (looking "x" page of "y" pages for the whole reading). That way I can adjust the print size to exactly what I want, and also the page size so that it is easy to read.

As for printing it out, I just finished Catriona (sequel to Kiddnaped). It was a 100,704 word, 170 page (at 12 point font) or 341 page (at 18 point font) book. I will figure out some other way to do it. :hmm:

Wayne

P.S. I do like the idea of downloading it. I will have to work on that.
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen: