COMPLETE [DR] A Little Girl in Old Boston by Amanda Minnie Douglas -mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

A Little Girl in Old Boston by Amanda Minnie Douglas (1831 - 1916).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-little-girl-in-old-boston-by-amanda-minnie-douglas/

Linny will BC and edit this project
Doris, an orphan from England, arrives in Boston and adapts to life in America. As she grows up, she undergoes many adventures and experiences the 1812 war. ( Elsie Selwyn)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23786
    PLEASE read from text turned into script: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1UZhexWKDdMhbsh3YxRgpyLR9EoP3u74S
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.
    This DR has Gender Neutral Casting. Since there are so many small parts, the same reader can claim multiple roles as long as they’re not in the same chapter.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading narration, please include for each file:At the beginning: Chapter [#] of A Little Girl in Old Boston, by Amanda Minnie Douglas. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Chapter[#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    littlegirl_[role]_[##]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by linny on March 4th, 2020, 2:41 pm, edited 19 times in total.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

I will narrate, PL all parts except my own, and edit together the play. I will need a DPL to PL my parts and the finished chapters. MC most welcome! :D

Edit: I changed the requested amount of sections in the MW because I think it will be easier to handle with just one section for each part.
Last edited by elsieselwyn on June 12th, 2019, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

elsieselwyn wrote: June 12th, 2019, 5:41 am I will narrate, PL all parts except my own, and edit together the play. I will need a DPL to PL my parts and the finished chapters. MC most welcome! :D
At your service. Just tell me what to do.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

KevinS wrote: June 12th, 2019, 5:48 am
elsieselwyn wrote: June 12th, 2019, 5:41 am I will narrate, PL all parts except my own, and edit together the play. I will need a DPL to PL my parts and the finished chapters. MC most welcome! :D
Thank you so much, Kevin! For my parts, I will record the narrator's lines (I turned the original text into a script) and have a pause between each line so that I can edit it together. Basically, you PL it like any other PL (look for stumbles, long pauses within a line, misread somehow etc.). Once I edit all the lines together, the chapters will be almost finished, but I just need you to make sure I didn't miss a line while editing, the pauses aren't too short or too long, and that nothing is drastically misread in the lines.
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

elsieselwyn wrote: June 12th, 2019, 6:05 am
KevinS wrote: June 12th, 2019, 5:48 am
Thank you so much, Kevin! For my parts, I will record the narrator's lines (I turned the original text into a script) and have a pause between each line so that I can edit it together. Basically, you PL it like any other PL (look for stumbles, long pauses within a line, misread somehow etc.). Once I edit all the lines together, the chapters will be almost finished, but I just need you to make sure I didn't miss a line while editing, the pauses aren't too short or too long, and that nothing is drastically misread in the lines.
It will be my pleasure.

Should I take a small part, too? (I haven't acted for decades!) You know my voice, so if there's something appropriate, just let me know when we're further along.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

If you want a part, absolutely! There are multiple parts that I think would suit your voice. Once the MW is set up, I'll point some of them out to you and you can decide which one you would prefer :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Most satisfactory!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Is Winthrop Adams available? I hope he'd fit my voice well, I'm looking for a teen boy character that's more of a major role... and I'm not too familiar with the book, so I hope he'd work out. Let me know what you think, thanks! :D <smile>
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

ej400 wrote: June 12th, 2019, 8:36 pm Is Winthrop Adams available? I hope he'd fit my voice well, I'm looking for a teen boy character that's more of a major role... and I'm not too familiar with the book, so I hope he'd work out. Let me know what you think, thanks! :D <smile>
You can have Winthrop if you want! He is an adult man though so if you want a teenage boy, Cary Adams (his son) or Warren Leverett would be younger. Totally up to you which of the 3 you prefer :D
ej400

Post by ej400 »

elsieselwyn wrote: June 13th, 2019, 4:28 am
ej400 wrote: June 12th, 2019, 8:36 pm Is Winthrop Adams available? I hope he'd fit my voice well, I'm looking for a teen boy character that's more of a major role... and I'm not too familiar with the book, so I hope he'd work out. Let me know what you think, thanks! :D <smile>
You can have Winthrop if you want! He is an adult man though so if you want a teenage boy, Cary Adams (his son) or Warren Leverett would be younger. Totally up to you which of the 3 you prefer :D
:hmm: Tough choice. I think I'll take Warren Leverett then.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Okay! I’ll mark you down once we get the MW.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

While looking through my lines, to find just the perfect tones, (and finding myself doing a southern accent for a book in Boston :lol: <laughing>), I found a couple mistakes with the text:

Ch 2 p.7 towards the bottom: "A small boy! How queer that seems." It doesn't say who reads the line.
Ch 2 p. 9 Middle of page: "she explained to Doris." I'm sure this is the narrator's line.

Thank you! :D <smile>
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

ej400 wrote: June 13th, 2019, 9:42 am While looking through my lines, to find just the perfect tones, (and finding myself doing a southern accent for a book in Boston :lol: <laughing>), I found a couple mistakes with the text:

Ch 2 p.7 towards the bottom: "A small boy! How queer that seems." It doesn't say who reads the line.
Ch 2 p. 9 Middle of page: "she explained to Doris." I'm sure this is the narrator's line.

Thank you! :D <smile>
Oh thank your for catching those mistakes - I tried to make sure all lines were labeled, but I am of course not infallible. If you see any more errors, please tell me! I appreciate the help :D
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Elsie,

I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

May I claim Electa King just because her name is super cool?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page