Annoying words

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

OK. Not a word, but a phrase: “At this point in time” drives me nuts! It gives me a mental image of some guy in front of a giant sized map of the stars, running back and forth with a pointer, stating: “Not At THAT point in time, (running over to a different area of the map,) “But at THIS point in time.” Apparently the words “then” and “now” were removed from the dictionary. :?
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Here is something that works for me, if you don’t mind saying it like an Aussie.
In my everyday speech, I pronounce “peculiar” as “pe-KYULE-yah”.

Said this way, it is far easier to add the “-ly” on the end.

Thus “pe-KYULE-yah-lee”.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

mhhbook wrote: June 9th, 2019, 6:31 pm OK. Not a word, but a phrase: “At this point in time” drives me nuts! It gives me a mental image of some guy in front of a giant sized map of the stars, running back and forth with a pointer, stating: “Not At THAT point in time, (running over to a different area of the map,) “But at THIS point in time.” Apparently the words “then” and “now” were removed from the dictionary.
Could this be the origin of your mental image? :wink:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LXrorgYxl10

Chris
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: June 9th, 2019, 7:11 pm
mhhbook wrote: June 9th, 2019, 6:31 pm OK. Not a word, but a phrase: “At this point in time” drives me nuts! It gives me a mental image of some guy in front of a giant sized map of the stars, running back and forth with a pointer, stating: “Not At THAT point in time, (running over to a different area of the map,) “But at THIS point in time.” Apparently the words “then” and “now” were removed from the dictionary.
Could this be the origin of your mental image? :wink:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LXrorgYxl10

Chris
Makes sense, plus it's a great cartoon. However, the phrase drove me nuts during the Watergate era... hey, that's aging me! Here's a link to a great article about the interesting phrases used during those hearings. https://clickamericana.com/topics/politics/a-look-at-the-lingo-picked-up-from-the-watergate-hearings-1973 Telephonically...gotta love that one! :D
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

mhhbook wrote: June 9th, 2019, 8:28 pm Makes sense, plus it's a great cartoon. However, the phrase drove me nuts during the Watergate era... hey, that's aging me! Here's a link to a great article about the interesting phrases used during those hearings. https://clickamericana.com/topics/politics/a-look-at-the-lingo-picked-up-from-the-watergate-hearings-1973 Telephonically...gotta love that one! :D
That's a cool article! Some of those are now well rooted in everyday speech, such as "time frame" and to "sign off" on something. I never would have guessed that this is where they came from!
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

mhhbook wrote: June 9th, 2019, 6:31 pm ...drove me nuts during the Watergate era...
What drove me nuts is that the hearings always pre-empted the after-school movies and I was so looking forward to The Planet of the Apes movie series that one week.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

realisticspeakers wrote: June 10th, 2019, 3:36 am
mhhbook wrote: June 9th, 2019, 6:31 pm ...drove me nuts during the Watergate era...
What drove me nuts is that the hearings always pre-empted the after-school movies and I was so looking forward to The Planet of the Apes movie series that one week.
And I thought I was watching the Planet of the Apes...
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

LikeManyWaters wrote: June 4th, 2019, 7:43 am I'm currently annoyed with benign, benignly, and benignness. The author of my solo having used them over half a dozen times. Not that I hate saying it, just thought he could have possibly found some other descriptive synonym to use. :) But by the time you've finished writing a really long book, you might not realize you've used it that much.

Sometimes easy words trip me up if I start to think about them too much. Like "asked" or whether or not I'm pronouncing "t" and "d" in certain words.
I don't mind those so much but I despise benignantly and benignity. So hard to say and writers seemed to LOVE those two words in the olden days!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
ej400

Post by ej400 »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: June 9th, 2019, 7:04 pm Here is something that works for me, if you don’t mind saying it like an Aussie.
In my everyday speech, I pronounce “peculiar” as “pe-KYULE-yah”.

Said this way, it is far easier to add the “-ly” on the end.

Thus “pe-KYULE-yah-lee”.

Chris
Eh mate, I'd do the same... if only I were Aussie.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I have advanced well into my later years by saying pa-Kyule-yer-lee.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ej400 wrote: June 10th, 2019, 8:18 am ... if only I were Aussie.
A lament heard across the planet and the centuries. :lol:

When I was a tiny little kid, I wanted to be Davy Crockett, "King of the Wild Frontier".

Chris
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Tele-anything bothers me right now! Im doing a superhero book for ACX and there is so many tele words and I can't seem to keep them straight! :roll: :oops: :cry:
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
verycherrey

Post by verycherrey »

Tertiary or any other five-dollar word.

“Don't use a five-dollar word when a fifty-cent word will do.”

― Mark Twain
Last edited by verycherrey on July 8th, 2019, 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
A hundred times a day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the measure as I have received and am still receiving.

-Albert Einstein
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

verycherrey wrote: July 7th, 2019, 10:11 pm Tertiary or any other five-dollar word.

― Mark Twain
I think that after secondary, tertiary is perfectly cromulent. It's quaternary that resounds superfluous.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

realisticspeakers wrote: July 8th, 2019, 8:43 am
verycherrey wrote: July 7th, 2019, 10:11 pm Tertiary or any other five-dollar word.

― Mark Twain
I think that after secondary, tertiary is perfectly cromulent. It's quaternary that resounds superfluous.
Am I correct in saying that at 5 in the afternoon in the tropics everything is quininary?