COMPLETE[DR]DR Scene and Story Collection, Volume 002 by Various - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

johnnyenglish; your file is fine, very close to word perfect.. and plenty gruff enough!

Just one very small correction, which will be easy for you to do for me, as I need your voice credit. At three seconds, I hear "happened" instead of "happens" in "Now the very next time this happens" If you would find it difficult to replicate your voice for the line, just record a few attempts at the word "happens" and I'll edit the closest one into the file.

Just upload that line and your credit as windinthewillows_badger2_grahame

Generally in DRs and plays, you should leave two or more seconds after every line/group of lines that your character speaks, to make it easier for the editor to see where they begin and end, and to make it simpler to insert the narration and other characters' voices. Don't worry about it for this file. As this is my first time editing a DR, and I'm used to handling this process in my own recordings, I'll handle it (I've already added the silences, when I PL'd your file) but for other recordings you will probably be asked to add the extra silence.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Peter, would you like the Narrator in English or American accent? Your choice. :D
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

English, please; it's a sort of bucolic idyll.

Peter
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hello Peter,

I shall get to those edits a little later today, but just a word of warning.

I am actually saying 'happens' on the original recording. It feel and sounds like 'happens'
to me when I say it, and I hear 'happens' on the recording.

However, I don't have any teeth, so sometimes my pronunciation can be shhluured or
distorted when I speak. (I have particular difficulty with 'S' and 'T' words, and I am simply incapable
of saying 'few' correctly! :lol:)

This is not a complaint, I am always amenable to making any corrections requested - just be
aware that it may not sound any better to you! :wink:

Andrew (johnnyenglish)
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Okay, leave it as it is; I'll edit in a stronger "s" sound from elsewhere in your recording. Just upload your voice credit, please.
Peter
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Peter - 'Badger' credit line uploaded.
(With a couple of variations for you to choose from...)
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Peter.

As requested!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/windinthe_willows_badger2_grahame.mp3

(Wish I'd remembered to do it at the same time as the file - ones voice never sounds
quite the same the next day, does it?)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

johnnyenglish; thanks, your voice credit is fine. Are you happy to be credited in the cast list under your "Andrew" name?
Peter
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

I'm a little bit confused about that one myself, to be honest. :roll:

With my solo reads I don't actually bother crediting myself at all - I figure the
'username' is enough. I don't actually care if anyone knows who I am,
as long as they enjoy what I read.

However - this dramatic reading palaver seems to be a little bit different. I find that I WOULD actually like to be acknowledged
or recognised for my contribution. (Couldn't tell you why!)

Hence the audio I sent you. My prefered credit is as follows...

Badger read by johhnyenglish AKA Andrew Nixon

Hope that works for you. :wink:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

If you are open to suggestions, it isn’t necessary to give your forum name in the voice credit - that’s linked automatically in the catalogue. It would be tidier to just say “Andrew Nixon” and then link that name to your forum name.

This is what I do. My real name is Elizabeth, which is what is in my voice credit, but if you search the catalogue under “Elizabby” you can still find all my stuff. But listeners don’t need to know my forum name unless they come onto the forum.
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Okay... But can I still be Garth?
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hello Todd,

I have just been informed that you are not elizzababy - I'm sure that will come as something of something of a relief to you!

Anyhoo... I would like to suggest a little tale by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bOjAw8Tk5MJxnfvmUnSRZfWw8w9JVZzzM_pos-no_Qc/edit

And the Gutenberg entry is here...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/537/537-h/537-h.htm#special

I would like to read 'Amateur Reasoner' myself, but I hope that enough other people may be enthused by the story that
we have no problem filling other roles. (If I am incorrect in this assumption, I will be 'Narrator' myself - but I would prefer to give somebody else the
opportunity to volunteer, at present.)

Please be advised that this is just a suggestion. I have absolutely no intention of being involved in the proposed project, beyond reading a few lines.
(My apologies. I do not consider myself to be qualified to 'edit' other peoples contributions. Nor do I consider myself 'disengaged' enough to PL another
individuals recording. I am never fully satisfied with my own efforts - it would be deeply unfair to let me loose amongst the fold! :wink: )

If you think that this story is worth pursuing, please let me know. (And please highlight any mistakes that I have made, so
that I may correct them! :wink:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The intent here in this project is that people get a chance to propose AND run a short dramatic reading - from preparing a script, filling (and when necessary re-filling) all the roles, proof-listening the inputted parts, editing everything together, and finally making a file ready for the catalog.

Maybe you will be lucky and someone will decide to pick up what you have found and run it, or maybe not.... This is much the way all of Librivox works.

Thanks, Todd
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Cheers Mate!

I'll keep my fingers crossed - if I have to do it all by myself - I will! :lol:

But I would really like to hear someone with a 'real' French accent vocalise Herbert de Lernac!

(My own version - 'the unladen weight of a swallow' - may prove offensive to some! :wink: )
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Can I claim Will Munson and The Anarchist?
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)