COMPLETE[PLAY]Dr Johnson by A Edward Newton - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: June 1st, 2019, 11:38 amHere's Mrs. Thrale:
ah, you're Mrs Thrale, the one who shocked my dear Fanny so much by marrying this musician Piozzi. How could you ?! :mrgreen: excellently played throughout, Foon, you're playing the perfect countryhouse hostess to perfection. :thumbs:

Acts 2 and 3 already PL ok.

Only one small note for Act 1:

> at 2:31: (p. 29) "of a [with a curtsy] charming woman from Wales - you forgot to leave sufficient space for the insertion of the narrator here. It may be very difficult to accurately cut this sentence, so a re-do of this line may be easier

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

btw Todd: I checked out this Mr Piozzi and I couldn't find any lines for him. He shows up at the party but doesn't say a word. At one point they say he is singing a song, but the lyrics aren't given. So unless you want to hunt down those lyrics and let the character sing them, we can delete this character from the cast list. The narrator explains the whole scene, so I guess it's not necessary that we really play out the song.

Sonia
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

great job again, Campbell. Boswell appears more as the dutiful biographer here, although he has a penchant for bity stories still I think :lol:

No lines missing, so all is well on that account. I think I remember you are ok with pronunciation corrections as well, so I have two small propositions for foreign words, if you like to be accurate there as well:

> at 1:34: (p. 52): “the great dictionary-maker in déshabillé” – the ending LL is not pronounced but the é is, a bit like: “deshabi-eh"

> at 2:36: (p. 53): “when we were on our journey to the Hebrides” – these islands are pronounced: He-bree-deez. I feel like Boswell as a British citizen would say it like that

thank you

Sonia
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Kitty wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 2:13 am
great job again, Campbell. Boswell appears more as the dutiful biographer here, although he has a penchant for bity stories still I think :lol:

No lines missing, so all is well on that account. I think I remember you are ok with pronunciation corrections as well, so I have two small propositions for foreign words, if you like to be accurate there as well:

> at 1:34: (p. 52): “the great dictionary-maker in déshabillé” – the ending LL is not pronounced but the é is, a bit like: “deshabi-eh"

> at 2:36: (p. 53): “when we were on our journey to the Hebrides” – these islands are pronounced: He-bree-deez. I feel like Boswell as a British citizen would say it like that

thank you

Sonia
How's this:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doctorjohnson_boswell_2_128kb.mp3
5:21
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yes, this is better, thank you, Campbell :) PL ok now

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: June 1st, 2019, 12:30 pm btw Todd: I checked out this Mr Piozzi and I couldn't find any lines for him. He shows up at the party but doesn't say a word. At one point they say he is singing a song, but the lyrics aren't given. So unless you want to hunt down those lyrics and let the character sing them, we can delete this character from the cast list. The narrator explains the whole scene, so I guess it's not necessary that we really play out the song.

Sonia
I will just delete him. These strong silent types never get a chance....

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: May 31st, 2019, 7:43 am and here is Fanny Burney ready for PL. Wow I was surprised that she would be so prim and prissy all of a sudden. Not a very nice streak in her character. Note that in the final act she is a few years older, actually already in her 30s, I tried to make her voice a bit less girlish there.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doctorjohnson_burney_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:25 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doctorjohnson_burney_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:10 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doctorjohnson_burney_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 0:54 min.

Sonia
Very very nice. PL OK. And I was very pleased to see that the play does actually have good characterization - maybe even plot! - instead of just being set speeches one after the other.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: June 6th, 2019, 7:14 amVery very nice. PL OK. And I was very pleased to see that the play does actually have good characterization - maybe even plot! - instead of just being set speeches one after the other.
oh there is definitely a continuity and some sort of plot in it. The speeches are very well chosen to convey storyline of certain incidents.

Sonia
MikeCasey

Post by MikeCasey »

I can take Mr. Levett.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
MikeCasey

Post by MikeCasey »

ToddHW wrote: June 6th, 2019, 10:21 am Thank you.

Todd
Rad, Todd.
This will be my first attempt at a dramatic recording. I anticipate that it will be a lot of fun. Not to mention that I won't have to edit the finished product, hehe.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Due to some newly announced changes in my work schedule for June, my discretionary time will be greatly reduced.
Regretfully, I ask to be released from my roles as Stewart and Burke.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you for letting me know.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MikeCasey wrote: June 6th, 2019, 8:50 pm
ToddHW wrote: June 6th, 2019, 10:21 am Thank you.

Todd
Rad, Todd.
This will be my first attempt at a dramatic recording. I anticipate that it will be a lot of fun. Not to mention that I won't have to edit the finished product, hehe.
I do hope you have fun with this. I enjoy the dramatic works, particularly plays.

While as you note you don't have to edit everything together here, your part with others, please do either leave during recording or cut in long enough gaps (~5 second?) between lines so that I can easily do the manipulations and assemble the completed play.

Also eliminate any stumbles or multiple tries from your part file so it is complete and ready for use. It also helps if you get the overall sound level adjusted right so I won't run into any noise or clipping issues if I have to do adjustments later on. (Since you have already done book sections here at Librivox, you had to do all these things there too.)

Thanks, Todd