'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for THynes (Tadhg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just finished listening to your reading of David Copperfield, Thank you. It was masterfully done and I will miss you in my ear. I will have to search out other readings by you I enjoyed your warm voice so much. Thanks again for all the time and effort you put into your reading.

All of Tadhg's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
(Regarding her recording of Persuasion)Thank you so much for you great effort and incredible talent. Your performance of this masterpiece enhanced the experience manyfold

and...

(Regarding her recording of Anne of Green Gables) Thank you!
Your reading helped me to do my school assignment about this book ready in time! Your reading was fast enough so it was worth listening to the book rather than just reading it.
and...
RE: Frances Hodgson Burnett - The Secret Garden and others

I would just like you to know that I love your reading, your accent and your voice. I work in a big (and quite noisy at times) office and listening to you read helps me to stay focused.

Thank you so much for all the books you have recorded.

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for simonevers (Simon Evers) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just finished Castle Richmond by Anthony Trollope. Mr. Evers, you did a marvelous job narrating the book. Your narration was as good as and better than many professional I have listened to. Thank you for your time, effort, and talent. I am downloading more of the Trollope works you have narrated and will probably try other authors when I finish with Trollope.

BTW, I loved hearing the sounds of the fowl in the background. Were they geese or ducks? I had laying hens in my younger days and really miss them.

All of Simon's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for AmethystA (Mary Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her recording of Pollyanna Grows Up:

Thank you so much for reading the book so well.

All of Mary's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MARTIN GEESON (Martin Geeson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Geeson;

I am currently listening to your narration of The idiot. You are by far the best narrator I have ever heard. Your clarity, voice inflection, pronounciation, character delineation--all by far, make for the best and most pleasant listening experience. I just wanted to thank you for your willingness to narrate. I can't even begin to fathom how much time you have invested in all of the works that you have read for we, the listeners. I am very much looking forward to listening to other books that you have done. Thank you again!

Sincerely,

Mike

All of Martin's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for NKWhitley (Nick Whitley) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Just wanted to send a short note of thanks to Nick Whitley for his fabulous reading of The Children of the New Forest.

You did such a great job narrating this one, making it easy to understand, differentiating the characters voices, intonations, etc. Thank you so much for making our experience with this book so enjoyable!

Looking forward to more of your reads!

Thanks!

Kate

All of Nick's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you to Elizabeth Klett for her reading of Jane Eyre!

All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for dormouse3 (Mike Harris) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi Mike,

My name is Lydia and I would like to thank you very much for recording so many of Henty’s books! You are easy to follow and have a pleasant voice, making listening to you read really nice. I know to look out for your name as a good reader. I really like Henty as he writes in such a way that history is enjoyable to learn, so being able to download the audiobooks is awesome as it allows me to be working on something as well as ‘reading’ a book.

Thanks, Lydia

All of Mike's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for LenXZ1 (Leonard Wilson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of Orley Farmp:
I love Trollope and what a treat to listen to his story while doing my kitchen renovation. Thank you so very much!

Suzann

All of Leonard's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Mermaid (Mil Nicholson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello Mil
I’ve just finished listening to Dombey and Son, which I haven’t read for years. Thank you so much for recording it. It really brought it to life. I love all the character voices, but particularly Captain Cuttle - Hooorrahhh!

I shall certainly listen to your other Dickens solo recordings. It takes a long time to listen to a whole book, as I listen in bed at night and I often nod off part way through a chapter and keep restarting. (No disrespect to you; just I’m a very poor sleeper and find it soothing to be read to). I can’t imagine how long they take to record - including the preparation / practice you must have to do.

Anyway thank you so much; it’s a joy to be read to by such a professional!

Regards
Tracy
All of Mil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
G'day,
In the past two or so years that I have been aware of LibriVox, I have enjoyed many stories and have recommended LibriVox to several of my friends. The first story I listened to was Joshua Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World and for that I sent the reader a heartfelt thanks too. Now, I have listened to Treasure Island, How to Live on Twenty-Four Hours s Day, Kidnapped and am thrilled to say The Wind in the Willows. More to come! All of these are read by Mr. Smith and all are excellent beyond compare. Like Mr. Smith, I am a retired fellow who has aspirations to write a book or two. Unlike Mr. Smith, though I am a decent oral reader, I defer to his outstanding oration, his clear diction and the wonder-filled voices he provides.

Here is a true story. When I was perhaps 12 years old, and as precocious as many lads, my mother grew exasperated with my behaviour. To this day, I have no idea what it was I was doing to rankle her. But I was sent to my room and the punishment was to read Treasure Island aloud to her, me in my room and she preoccupied with whatever it was she was doing. My mother was not much of a reader herself. So there I was with a long book, having been told that I couldn't leave my room until I had finished reading the book aloud to her. Gosh, Mr. Smith's version runs 8 hours, 16 minutes and 42 seconds. Imagine my horror. So I started to read, and I read, and I read, and I read, and I read. I read until I realized that she wasn't really listening. So clever chap decides to skip on a few pages, then more boldly skip whole chapters until nearing the end, I finished off the last few pages. I emerged from my room and announced that I had finished reading the whole book to her. She was none the wiser, which is sad on two fronts: first, the punishment was doing something which ought to be encouraged and secondly, it meant that I never did read Treasure Island for myself - ever. Neither did I read it to my children because of my instilled aversion. My children, by the way, did have both a Mom and Dad who read aloud to them well into their teens. It was jolly good fun for us all.

So, when I discovered Mr. Smith's reading of Treasure Island, I thought, here is my chance to actually "read" the story. Then I started it all over and shared it with my wife. We were both enthralled. Now my friend Bob, who having recently retired had told me that in an attempt to get his life into a sense of pattern was going to stop reading fiction, as if that was going to be a help. Ah, the gauntlet was cast down! I sent him an email written in an feeble attempt to imitate the voice of Captain Silver commanding him to listen to Mr. Smith's reading of Treasure Island while he was doing his chores. This he has happily done and is the better many for it.

Yesterday, whilst working on my sailboat, I delighted in The Wind in the Willows. What a treat. Last week, I had a good chuckle with How to Live on Twenty-Four Hours s Day. Doing so - living in a 24 hour day that is - is a perennial problem for me.

All of this is to say that I firstly appreciate LibriVox, secondly, I appreciate all of the readers who volunteer their skill and lastly, the point of this letter is to tell Mr. Smith that his reading is done like a Scurvy Dog when needs be and Innocently Sweet in the case of The Wind in the Willows. Nothing better than messing about in boats perhaps, but listening to a good story while messing about is a dream come true!

Truly, very truly,

Bill
Crofton, British Columbia, Canada

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for neustar (Bob Neufeld) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow:

Dear Mr. Neufeld,

Thank you very much for taking the time to record your reading of Washington Irving's classic tales! You did an excellent job and have the musical phrasing and rhythm to make the listener pay close attention. Kudos to you!

I intend to listen to other of your recordings.

Sincerely,

Phillip

All of Bob's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ChipDoc (Chip) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello.

I would like to thank Chip from Tampa Florida for reading American Indian Fairy Tales.

The reading I’m referring to is this:
https://librivox.org/american-indian-fairy-tales-by-william-trowbridge-larned/

The reason is not only because i enjoyed this, but because I also used his reading as the glue for my first steps into writing music that I put out there publicly. Mindful of the Libravox philosophy, this piece of music I never copyrighted and left in the public domain.

If this message reaches Chip - Chip, this music may not be to your style and that’s completely fine. But I would like to thank you, and let you know that somewhere your reading helped inspire a musician in the UK to put something together and make a contribution.

The music is here: https://soundcloud.com/mccalli/sets/proto-remastered. Style was deliberately from me to use nothing but synths available in the 70s and 80s, being a 70s/80s kid myself.

Thanks again,
Ian

All of Chip's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for RuthieG (Ruth Golding) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her recording of A House to Let:
What a wonderful, clever, skillful, amazing reader! My all time favorite, Ruth.
Many Thanks for providing much enjoyment.

All of Ruth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Cori (Cori Samuel) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Just wanted to thank you for your recording of the first five canti of the Divine Comedy. Wonderful!
Maybe someday you will continue with the Comedy!
and...
Dear Cori,

Just to say thank you so much for the time and talent and hard work you have dedicated to to free audiobooks. You are a joy to listen to. And I expecially value being able to listen to your English accent.

With best regards, Henna

All of Cori's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!