COMPLETE The Heidenmauer; or, The Benedictines. A Legend of the Rhine by James Fenimore Cooper-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

The Heidenmauer; or, The Benedictines. A Legend of the Rhine by James Fenimore Cooper (1789 - 1851).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-heidenmauer-by-james-fenimore-cooper/
This is a story that is set in 16th century Germany. Characters representing the various classes of the remnants of feudalism and the rising bourgeois class struggle against each other. Placed in the light of the very recent and polarizing Protestant Reformation, the characters' tensions increase. ( Joel Kindrick)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/heidenmauerorbe01coopgoog/page/n9
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Heidenmauer; or, The Benedictines. A Legend of the Rhine. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Heidenmauer; or, The Benedictines. A Legend of the Rhine, by James Fenimore Cooper. Chapter [number, title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Heidenmauer; or, The Benedictines. A Legend of the Rhine by James Fenimore Cooper. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "Chapter [number, title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Heidenmauer; or, The Benedictines. A Legend of the Rhine, by James Fenimore Cooper. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename heidenmauer_##_cooper_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. heidenmauer_01_cooper_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

I see you're brand new here, but from your website, you've done voice over work.

Usually we very strongly recommend that new readers do a section or two in a group project, but I assume you know what you're getting yourself into on this one. :) It's a long book - 31 chapters plus intro, for a total of 32 sections/files, and not 23 as you listed. You will be in charge of your own Magic Window when this gets started, though - and you'll get instructions on how to do that. (If you want to look ahead of time, they're here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window )

However, we do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. We need the correct bit rate, mono, etc., and it's best to get these ironed out before starting something big.

And I recommend you use this link instead for your text source: https://archive.org/details/heidenmauerorbe01coopgoog/page/n9

It's the exact same scan, but Google blocks some works from international viewers, so it's better to use the Archive link if there is one. :) (FYI, There may be better scans at Archive; this one looks like it has some ink blotches and stretched pages.)

An admin will be along to set this up for you, but may wait until you've done the test recording. Holler if you have questions.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Thank you.

I'm happy to do the one-minute test link. Can't hurt to get started on the right foot.

I did notice that I failed to write the original publication. It is 1832. I could not find that edition. If you can find it somewhere, I'm happy to read this.

I also miswrote the number of sections as 23 when it should be 36, plus the introduction section.
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

And, yes, I'm happy to read from the archive.org link.
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jkindrick.mp3

TwistedWav

Mac

Analog into USB

Let me know if there is anything else needed or desired.

I also posted on the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum as instructed.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

J,

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up and be back with further instructions.

How do you want to appear in the catalog? (real name, forum name, something else?)

MaryAnn
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Hello MaryAnn,

Thank you for taking me on.

Appearing with my real name of Joel Kindrick is fine.

Thanks,

Joel
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Do you need a DPL? :)
Cheryl
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Joel,

OK, Your MW is set up.

As mentioned before, for a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together.

Cheryl,

I've added you as DPL.

MaryAnn
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Great. Thank you, MaryAnn. I think I have it set up now. I think I will be needing six more sections in my Magic Window as there are 28 chapters in part 2 if I'm looking at it correctly. Please let me know if I'm missing anything or there is anything else I need to do. Otherwise, I'm ready to record.

Thank you Cheryl for being my DPL. I will do my best to make your job easy, but so great to have that safety net.

Joel
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jay,

Once you go into the MW, at the top of the page, there is a button to "add sections". They will add to the bottom and you can click and drag them to where they should be in the list.

Only MCs can delete sections.

We'll move over to going solo. Enjoy!

MaryAnn
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

43:55
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Jay.

Please use our file naming convention: Example filename heidenmauer_##_cooper_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. heidenmauer_01_cooper_128kb.mp3)

So the preface would be heidenmauer_00_cooper_128kb.mp3

You are also responsible to post the link and the duration in the MW. Duration goes in the notes column. Then change the status for section 0 to "ready for PL".

Thanks.
MaryAnn
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Ah, you want it 00 instead of intro. Got it.

Do you want everything to be 128kb, even when it is bigger or smaller? In this case bigger.

Great. So put the link in this thread and on the MW. Got it.

I will rename, resend and post on MW.

The name is Joel by the way, not Jay.