Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: March 17th, 2019, 12:29 pm Suggestion from Twitter:
The Third Violet by Stephen Crane
Taking a break from his bleaker narratives, Stephen Crane wrote this witty romantic comedy about a landscape painter named Hawker, who slums as a magazine illustrator, on vacation in the mountainous hometown of his youth. There he's instantly smitten with a wealthy young woman, Miss Fanhall, staying at a hotel in the woods. Along for the ride is his journalist buddy, Hollanden, who adds a Twain-ish level of satirical running commentary.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19593

I asked for more info (is it dialogue-driven rather than narration-driven, and therefore good for a DR), but am posting this before I got a reply. :)
Just by scrolling through the first few chapters, it looks like there is a good amount of dialogue and would probably make a fine DR, if the first chapters are representative of the rest of the book. There are 33 chapters, which is somewhat large for a DR but not unmanageable.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

We seem to have an influx of new people who are interested in running DRs. There was previously one DR Short Story/Chapter collection to allow new BC/editors to get their feet wet - would there be appetite for another one?

I didn't run the last one (I think Todd might have) but if there's interest, being the overall coordinator doesn't seem too difficult. Only problem is that I may not be allowed to do it, as I currently have two DRs running already. Or it may be better to have an MC/admin running it?

I admit I'm concerned about the number of very long DRs being proposed, and think Dramatic People need something which allows a "taster" experience before launching into a massive masterpiece...
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

Elizabby wrote: May 28th, 2019, 12:37 am We seem to have an influx of new people who are interested in running DRs. There was previously one DR Short Story/Chapter collection to allow new BC/editors to get their feet wet - would there be appetite for another one?

I didn't run the last one (I think Todd might have) but if there's interest, being the overall coordinator doesn't seem too difficult. Only problem is that I may not be allowed to do it, as I currently have two DRs running already. Or it may be better to have an MC/admin running it?

I admit I'm concerned about the number of very long DRs being proposed, and think Dramatic People need something which allows a "taster" experience before launching into a massive masterpiece...
For my part - I've decided to step back a little for a while. I've got several things I still need to read for - my kids are home from school for the summer and that will vastly decrease my reading time - and my commitment to Narrator on Iliad - when that starts. After that calms down I'll consider starting a project again.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Elizabby wrote: May 28th, 2019, 12:37 am We seem to have an influx of new people who are interested in running DRs. There was previously one DR Short Story/Chapter collection to allow new BC/editors to get their feet wet - would there be appetite for another one?

I like this idea a lot. I am a member of this influx, but I have been waiting. One, I don't want to start something so large that I can't finish, so it would be nice to have more of a taster. Also, I don't want to overwhelm people with the sheer amount of DRs coming out, so a collection may be nice. Would definitely participate.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

Love the idea of a collection, as well.
Josh Kibbey
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Okay, I have started a second DR Scene and Story Collection.
viewtopic.php?p=1593663#p1593663

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, I ran the first collection. I'd love some help with this second collection, and could put you down as co-BC. That would give you access to the MW.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Not to add to the confusion, but I'm in the planning stages of a new Dr. Dolittle DR. (Doctor Dolittle's Post Office, which is newly PD this year.) The current Dolittle DR is only waiting on narration and editing. I'll wait a little longer before starting the new one, but when I do, I'd prefer to have a confirmed narrator already. Any takers? The entire book is about 63,000 words. We're still fine tuning the scripts.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: May 28th, 2019, 1:11 pm Not to add to the confusion, but I'm in the planning stages of a new Dr. Dolittle DR. (Doctor Dolittle's Post Office, which is newly PD this year.) The current Dolittle DR is only waiting on narration and editing. I'll wait a little longer before starting the new one, but when I do, I'd prefer to have a confirmed narrator already. Any takers? The entire book is about 63,000 words. We're still fine tuning the scripts.
Of course, if you'll have me, I'd be glad to take narrator again.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: May 31st, 2019, 8:52 pm
mightyfelix wrote: May 28th, 2019, 1:11 pm Not to add to the confusion, but I'm in the planning stages of a new Dr. Dolittle DR. (Doctor Dolittle's Post Office, which is newly PD this year.) The current Dolittle DR is only waiting on narration and editing. I'll wait a little longer before starting the new one, but when I do, I'd prefer to have a confirmed narrator already. Any takers? The entire book is about 63,000 words. We're still fine tuning the scripts.
Of course, if you'll have me, I'd be glad to take narrator again.
Absolutely, if that's you want! I'd thought you might like to take a character role this time around. This one is not narrated by Tommy like Voyages is. In fact, Tommy Stubbins doesn't even make an appearance. It's more your typical omniscient narrator, not first person.
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Okay, I'm putting this out there in advance of my own ability to participate, because I realise that
these kind of projects take a LOT of organising!

However, I would like to suggest a joint project to 'dramatise' any Sherlock Holmes novel - of the potential MC's choice.
Allow me to explain that! Personally, I absatively posalutely do NOT want to be an MC on this - or any other - project. I have a hard enough time
doing the basics! (Just ask icequeen! :lol: )

But I think the notion of getting a bunch of dudes together on a project is really cool...

I'm currently working on my first 'solo' read, and I have found it particularly difficult when it comes to other
voices in the story. (I keep forgetting who I am supposed to be at any given moment!) This dramatic reading lark is
the perfect solution, and it may not be quite so lonely.

Any road up, I would be happy to narrate/read Dr. Watson, ('cos he's the narrator!) and basically get stuck in
and have a good time!

So here's the bad news. I would like to request that SOMEBODY ELSE would be kind enough to take on this burden
of responsibility - and do all the hard work, the behind the scenes stuff - 'cos basically I'm a lazy beggar! (And
I am sure to fu... er... mess it up, if I try to oversee any kind of project! :wink:)

I honestly don't mind which book we do - I have never met a Conan Doyle 'Sherlock Holmes' story that I didn't like -
but the sound sample I have provided is the first paragraph from 'A Scanadal in Bohemia' - simply because it was the first
story I found on Gutenberg.

Want to come out and play?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/holmes_sample.mp3
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

johnnyenglish wrote:Okay, I'm putting this out there in advance of my own ability to participate, because I realise that

However, I would like to suggest a joint project to 'dramatise' any Sherlock Holmes novel
The Launch pad is not the right place to post these kinds of suggestions. Best post it over to the dramatic reading suggestion thread.

Actually you are extremely in luck. A new DR compilation project has just started and Elizabby offered a Sherlock Holmes DR of a short story and guess what: Dr Watson is still up for grabs, so if you want to, be quick and claim in here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=75165

good luck and have fun.

(moved this suggestion to the appropriate thread and PMed the new link)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

johnnyenglish wrote: June 1st, 2019, 11:28 am Okay, I'm putting this out there in advance of my own ability to participate, because I realise that

However, I would like to suggest a joint project to 'dramatise' any Sherlock Holmes novel - of the potential MC's choice.
Allow me to explain that! Personally, I absatively posalutely do NOT want to be an MC on this - or any other - project. I have a hard enough time
doing the basics! (Just ask icequeen! :lol: )

But I think the notion of getting a bunch of dudes together on a project is really cool...

I'm currently working on my first 'solo' read, and I have found it particularly difficult when it comes to other
voices in the story. (I keep forgetting who I am supposed to be at any given moment!) This dramatic reading lark is
the perfect solution, and it may not be quite so lonely.

Any road up, I would be happy to narrate/read Dr. Watson, ('cos he's the narrator!) and basically get stuck in
and have a good time!

So here's the bad news. I would like to request that SOMEBODY ELSE would be kind enough to take on this burden
of responsibility - and do all the hard work, the behind the scenes stuff - 'cos basically I'm a lazy beggar! (And
I am sure to fu... er... mess it up, if I try to oversee any kind of project! :wink:)

I honestly don't mind which book we do - I have never met a Conan Doyle 'Sherlock Holmes' story that I didn't like -
but the sound sample I have provided is the first paragraph from 'A Scanadal in Bohemia' - simply because it was the first
story I found on Gutenberg.

Want to come out and play?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/holmes_sample.mp3
One additional clarification -- I know Cori and wildemoose did a few of the Sherlock novels as dramatic readings, and had even considered at one point doing the whole Holmes canon as full-cast recordings. I think they did all of the long-form works except for Valley of Fear -- and although there were plans to continue on into the short works, this never came to fruition.

It might be worth taking over they left off and doing those short fiction collections as dramatic projects sometime, possibly with a whole host of different Sherlocks and Dr. Watsons filling out the ranks. :-)
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

That sounds cool!

I wouldn't mind being Sherlock Holmes for a day! :wink:
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Cori and I continued to do most of the short story collections - actually there is only one left that we didn’t do, and it was in fact the one with Scandal in Bohemia!

If you would like to read Watson (as the narrator is always the hardest part to fill) I can BC and script prep the project. I’d done part of it already, but it was Cori’s availability that was the problem.

I was Holmes in the previous collections after Arielle - but I only think that worked when both Watson/Holmes were women. I’m not convinced it would sound right to have a female Holmes with a male voice Watson. If a suitable voice with a British accent could be found, I’d probably return to voicing Inspector Lestrade.

Let me think about it - the project can’t launch until Railway Children is finished anyway.