Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: May 30th, 2019, 12:29 pm Here are my parts:

Servant - Act 1 and 3
Mr. Murphy - Act 2
Mr. Hoole - Act 4
nicely done, Aaron, you gave each of them a distinct character. I love the bumbling Mr Murphy best :mrgreen: while Mr Hoole sounds much more jovial. And well... the servant is discreet and dutiful, as he should be :thumbs:

All PL ok, except for maybe a note for Servant Act 3.

> I'm not quite convinced that the Servant in Act 3 is the same as the one in Act 1, because he now seems to work for Johnson, not for Lord Chesterfield (ok, maybe he switched households in between acts LOL)
Todd: if you agree that these are two different ones, then I would suggest that Aaron reads another voice credit here: "A Servant (Dr. Johnson's), read by Aaron White"

Sonia
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

I confess - I actually didn't read through this play - as my parts were fairly small - I wanted to just listen to the finished product. I read enough around my parts to get the gist of it and the characters, but I wasn't sure about the servants. The one in Act 3 did sound a little different, but I wasn't sure.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: May 30th, 2019, 1:02 pm I confess - I actually didn't read through this play - as my parts were fairly small - I wanted to just listen to the finished product. I read enough around my parts to get the gist of it and the characters, but I wasn't sure about the servants. The one in Act 3 did sound a little different, but I wasn't sure.
oh please don't misunderstand me: I actually think your voice sounds quite the same for both servants, that's not what I meant. I meant I don't think he "should" be the same servant, as he doesn't work for the same master obviously. Not your fault. I figured we only need another voice credit. Let's first wait for Todd's decision.

Sonia
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

Kitty wrote: May 30th, 2019, 1:04 pm
oh please don't misunderstand me: I actually think your voice sounds quite the same for both servants, that's not what I meant. I meant I don't think he "should" be the same servant, as he doesn't work for the same master obviously. Not your fault. I figured we only need another voice credit. Let's first wait for Todd's decision.

Sonia
Don't worry - I understood you. I just meant "sound the same" in their written lines. :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: May 30th, 2019, 1:06 pm Don't worry - I understood you. I just meant "sound the same" in their written lines. :D
ah ok :lol: well this would only prove my point :mrgreen:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: May 30th, 2019, 12:58 pm
aaronwhite1977 wrote: May 30th, 2019, 12:29 pm Here are my parts:

Servant - Act 1 and 3
Mr. Murphy - Act 2
Mr. Hoole - Act 4
nicely done, Aaron, you gave each of them a distinct character. I love the bumbling Mr Murphy best :mrgreen: while Mr Hoole sounds much more jovial. And well... the servant is discreet and dutiful, as he should be :thumbs:

All PL ok, except for maybe a note for Servant Act 3.

> I'm not quite convinced that the Servant in Act 3 is the same as the one in Act 1, because he now seems to work for Johnson, not for Lord Chesterfield (ok, maybe he switched households in between acts LOL)
Todd: if you agree that these are two different ones, then I would suggest that Aaron reads another voice credit here: "A Servant (Dr. Johnson's), read by Aaron White"

Sonia
I agree that they might be two different servants and so there should be an extra voice credit as you suggest. That the voices are similar is explained away by saying that all good servants should sound the same....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: May 30th, 2019, 1:39 pmI agree that they might be two different servants and so there should be an extra voice credit as you suggest. That the voices are similar is explained away by saying that all good servants should sound the same....
:lol: I see...well then Aaron: do your duty (and your voice credit) please

Sonia
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

Since I was recording a new voice credit any way - I hope you don't mind, but I just read through the lines again (only took a few minutes) with a different voice to distinguish.
Here is the updated file.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doctorjohnson_aservant_3_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have to be out of touch for a few days. I'll finish this up when I return.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: May 31st, 2019, 5:14 am Since I was recording a new voice credit any way - I hope you don't mind, but I just read through the lines again (only took a few minutes) with a different voice to distinguish.
:lol: I had a hunch you would be doing that ;) and it totally works. This butler sounds absolutely dignified, proud of his work (couldn't get all the cockney out of him though :mrgreen: ) Perfect and PL ok.

Thanks for the extra work, Aaron !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here is Fanny Burney ready for PL. Wow I was surprised that she would be so prim and prissy all of a sudden. Not a very nice streak in her character. Note that in the final act she is a few years older, actually already in her 30s, I tried to make her voice a bit less girlish there.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doctorjohnson_burney_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:25 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doctorjohnson_burney_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:10 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/doctorjohnson_burney_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 0:54 min.

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian