COMPLETE [NON-FIC/BOTANY] Natural History, volume 5, by Pliny the Elder - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DaveWindell

Post by DaveWindell »

Many thanks Lucretia for doing the PL'ing :D I'll press on once my sore throat yields to time or meds! :roll:
Dave
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks, Dave and Lucretia, for all the help with this project! :9:
Leni
=================
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Can I have section 16, please? :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

May I claim section 16?
Kind regards,
Chad
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Kikisaulite wrote: May 27th, 2019, 10:22 am Can I have section 16, please? :)
Section assigned, thanks!
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Horner94 wrote: May 27th, 2019, 10:26 am May I claim section 16?
Kind regards,
Chad
Hello, Chad! Unfortunately, Kristine requested the same section exactly 4 minutes before your claim. :( Can I offer you another section? Maybe the next one?
Leni
=================
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Leni wrote: May 27th, 2019, 5:52 pm
Horner94 wrote: May 27th, 2019, 10:26 am May I claim section 16?
Kind regards,
Chad
Hello, Chad! Unfortunately, Kristine requested the same section exactly 4 minutes before your claim. :( Can I offer you another section? Maybe the next one?
Sorry, for not paying close attention, I didn't manage to see that. Yes, I'll do Section 17.
Many thanks,
Chad
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Horner94 wrote: May 27th, 2019, 5:55 pm Sorry, for not paying close attention, I didn't manage to see that. Yes, I'll do Section 17.
Many thanks,
Chad
Thanks, Chad. Section assigned.
Leni
=================
DaveWindell

Post by DaveWindell »

Dear Leni and Lucretia,
Hi! For PL please: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/naturalhistoryvolume5_15_128kb.mp3 Duration 25:29.
And can I claim Section 18 please.
Dave
uncaducky

Post by uncaducky »

Leni wrote: May 16th, 2019, 1:53 pm
uncaducky wrote: May 14th, 2019, 8:49 am Hello! :D

I would like to claim section 22, please. I am a new reader and will complete the 1-minute test soon, but I wanted to get the ball rolling and claim a section. :) I'd like to be credited as JLF in the catalogue.
Sure, thanks! Yes, please, don't forget the 1-minute test. :)
Hi Leni,

Just to let you know that I've done the one-minute test and been given the okay to record. :)

Link to the test is here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75166
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

DaveWindell wrote: May 30th, 2019, 8:43 am Dear Leni and Lucretia,
Hi! For PL please: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/naturalhistoryvolume5_15_128kb.mp3 Duration 25:29.
Dave
Thanks, Dave! :D New section assigned.
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

uncaducky wrote: May 30th, 2019, 9:43 am Hi Leni,

Just to let you know that I've done the one-minute test and been given the okay to record. :)

Link to the test is here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75166
Thanks for letting us know. :D
Leni
=================
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

DaveWindell wrote: May 30th, 2019, 8:43 am Dear Leni and Lucretia,
Dave
Nicely done--thank you! :)

Section 15: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia
niobium

Post by niobium »

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/naturalhistoryvolume5_04_128kb.mp3

section 4 ready for proof listening. track length just over 20 minutes
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

niobium wrote: June 13th, 2019, 7:25 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/naturalhistoryvolume5_04_128kb.mp3
section 4 ready for proof listening. track length just over 20 minutes
Hi niobium--Thanks for your section--nice reading! And yes, the track is just over 20 minutes--in fact, 25:25 in length. It really is helpful if you can provide the actual length of the track for a number of reasons--one being that the track length is posted in the MW and then used when cataloging. So please include it. We've got a few other things to fix.

Some of the important bits in the Intro have been omitted--like the names of the translators, the Volume Number, the Book Number. So for consistency with the other sections and to help listeners keep track of where they are in the book/collection, please revise the Intro to match the requirements in the instructions as follows:
Start of recording (Intro)
"Section [number] of The Natural History, volume 5. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name]"
Say:
"The Natural History, volume 5, by Pliny the Elder. Translated by John Bostock and Henry Thomas Riley. Section [number] Book [number], Chapters [number] to [number]"

--At ~4:58 I hear “with which the roots are abound” but s/b “with which the woods there abound” (near bottom p. 342)
--At ~8:17 Stumble “…to increased activity” (near bottom p. 344)
--At ~12:56 Stumble “…for the botanist than articles of food” (immediately above Chapter 51 title p. 347)
I think that both of these stumbles can probably be fixed easily by just zooming in and deleting a little piece.
--At ~17:05 Repeat “The cnecos--The cnecos…” (above Chapter 54 title p. 350)
--Your ending silence is over 10 seconds, and we want only 5 seconds of silence on the end.

Finally, your track volume just barely make it to our lower limit at 86.3 dB. it passes, but there is quite a variation in the volume across the track--some parts of it very low, some spiking up there. Since you will be uploading it again, you might want to amplify it to bring it closer to our goal of 89 dB. Should you decide to amplify it, you will probably need to use something like the Compressor Effect in Audacity to level out the spikes--and then you can amplify as needed.

There are some short, helpful videos made by one of our members on this LibriVideo page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos
Near the bottom of that page there is a section about Editing with Audacity. You might check out the videos called "The Compressor Effect Explained" and "Some Parts of My Recording are TOO LOUD and others Too Soft". There are also some helpful explanations on our Librivox Wiki page if you prefer those instead of the videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Anyway, upload the edited file using the same file name, post the link and the new track length here in this thread again--and then I'll take another look at it. Let us know if you have any questions--we'll be glad to help. :)

EDIT: I also notice that you've uploaded your files to Leni's folder--but LynneT is the MC, so all files but yours have been uploaded to her folder. I think Leni can grab your old files behind the scenes, but future uploads should go to LynneT as MC.
Kind regards,
Lucretia