COMPLETE[PLAY]The Tender Husband by Steele - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Here's my first one. The asides confused me so let me know if my pauses are at the wrong places.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tenderhusband_sirharry_1_128kb.mp3
5:26
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: May 23rd, 2019, 8:55 pmHere's my first one. The asides confused me so let me know if my pauses are at the wrong places.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tenderhusband_sirharry_1_128kb.mp3
you did a perfect job, Campbell :clap: and you assessed the "asides" correctly. Unfortunately in many old plays they get written after the line that is to be spoken as aside. :? I agree, it's highly confusing. But you emphasized the correct bits as aside here. :thumbs: And I like your smug and laid-back manner here, this man is definitely pleased of himself :lol: you brought that over very well.

Absolutely PL ok. Looking forward to the rest.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Sorry that there aren't many more by him....

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: May 24th, 2019, 3:58 pmHere is Humphrey Gubbins. Very fun part to play.
:lol: indeed, he is a bit of a nitwit, but endearing somehow. And I see my Fainlove is stuck with him in the end :mrgreen:

loved the accent and dropped 'h's. :thumbs: The whole character is excellently fleshed out, and as you say, a very funny part. This scene with cousin Biddy seems mightily strange :shock: I'm curious to hear that assembled.

Acts 1, 3 and 4 already PL ok.

one small correction for Act 5 though:

> at 0:30: "Mrs Clerimont, pray know my aunt." - you say "miss" but it's "missus" or "mistress" since the woman is married

thanks

Sonia
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hehe, Biddy has been reading a bit too many romantic novels, I fear :mrgreen: you're conveying the young ingénue and romantic heroine quite well here. :thumbs: already looking forward to that dialogue with Humphrey later on. :lol:

I found a few inconsistencies with the original text, though, and in the following the meaning is quite changed, so the sentences would profit from correcting.

> the volume is over our accepted limit (92.2). 3 dB less would be perfect

> at 0:09: "Was it not my gallant that whistled so charmingly" - you say "galliant" instead of "gallant"

> at 0:38: "What a peasant-like amour do these coarse words import!" - I hear "armour" which is another thing

> at 1:27: "or breaking them with consonants" - you say "constance" if I'm not mistaken,which sounds bizarre in context :|

> at 2:46: "if the writers had been persons of your goût" - well, actually here she means the French word "goût" (taste) not the English "gout" (ailment), which doesn't make sense. So it should be pronounced like the English word "goo" (without a 't' at the end).

> at 5:10: "that does my uncle's law business" - I hear "lawn business", but it's actually a lawyer, not a gardner she's talking about ;)

> at 7:15: "Were there not a great many flights of vultures before the battle began?" - you say "virtue" but it's "vultures" (quite a difference)

> at 8:20: "let it be by Parthenissa" - you say Parthensia, but the name will become important later on, so maybe it would be good to say it like Clerimont will say it

> at 9:30: "And thus Statira raised him from the earth" - you say "raise me" but she is raising him since he was kneeling

> at 10:30: "Call me still Biddy rather than name that brute" - you say "rather than that name that brute"

> btw just as a suggestion, you can abbreviate the filename drastically to tenderhusband_biddy_2_128kb if you wish :)

Thank you

Sonia
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tenderhusband_biddy_2_128kb.mp3 here are my fixes for biddy. Hope I got everything. :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

EmmaHatton wrote: May 26th, 2019, 8:53 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tenderhusband_biddy_2_128kb.mp3 here are my fixes for biddy. Hope I got everything. :)
:clap: these are all wonderful fixes, Emma, excellent job, I wouldn't hear a difference in sound in the new recordings. Super. Now completely PL ok. Thank you so much

Sonia
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

Kitty wrote: May 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
one small correction for Act 5 though:

> at 0:30: "Mrs Clerimont, pray know my aunt." - you say "miss" but it's "missus" or "mistress" since the woman is married

thanks

Sonia
Here is my updated file - thanks for that catch Sonia.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tenderhusband_humphreygubbin_5_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: May 27th, 2019, 8:41 am Here is my updated file - thanks for that catch Sonia.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tenderhusband_humphreygubbin_5_128kb.mp3
thanks, Aaron, now all PL ok :)

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

! oh ! quite a short role :mrgreen: but perfectly done, Leanne, thanks ! PL ok. The volume seems to be a bit low, but that will be adjusted by Todd anyway.

Sonia
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »