COMPLETE [Play] The Gondoliers by W.S. Gilbert - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

As I’m sure you’re all aware, I’ve fallen behind with the PLing for this project. However, good news ahead! The fabulous Mark Nelson has come on board as editor and to help us all out with his amazing LV skills! He will post in a bit, and Anne, can we get sjmarky MW access please?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

If you’re anything like me, you probably had some problems with the Gutenberg text we are using as our source material. The first is the habit of Mr. Gilbert to use “etc.” without any reference as too what the etc. refers to. The second is some passages were apparently originally printed in two columns, which got scrambled together and escaped PG’s proofers. Worse, the problematic passages are mostly choruses in which all the speakers need to be saying the same thing so they can be edited together.
As a (regrettably tardy) workaround, we’ve created a new text in which the etcetera text is spelled out and in bold type. You can get the pdf here:

http://markdouglasnelson.com/the-gondoliers.pdf

These are located on pages 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 15, 17, 19, 27, 29, 35, 36, 39, 45, 46, and 57. It really isn’t much.
So, if your recordings have not already cleared PL, we’re asking you to review the new text and make an addition recording just of the new text. Name your file: “gondoliers_charactername_actnumber_new” so you don’t overwrite your previous file. That way I can simply edit-in the additional material. Don’t go back and edit it into your previous submission; there’s really no need.
Thanks for your understanding. This will speed up the PL and editing so we can get this masterpiece out for our adoring public.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

I have looked over your script - and except for the notes that I made below - my reading is good. I made one change and it was way easier to just fix the file I had already uploaded, so I just did that and uploaded the correct one over top -

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/gondoliers_annibalechorus_2.mp3

There were some issues with the script -

On page 33, there is still an Etc after Chorus. If you were planning on just copying what the chorus had just said above, then my files are correct.

page 47 There is still another etc. If you were planning on just copying what the chorus had just said above, then my files are correct.

page 31 another etc. If the etc is to be filled in with - "to silver clarion's sound, The rightful King—let him forthwith be crowned!" - then my file is good.

Aaron
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Aaron, I’ll PL your file first!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

On page 33, there is still an Etc after Chorus. If you were planning on just copying what the chorus had just said above, then my files are correct.

page 47 There is still another etc. If you were planning on just copying what the chorus had just said above, then my files are correct.

page 31 another etc. If the etc is to be filled in with - "to silver clarion's sound, The rightful King—let him forthwith be crowned!" - then my file is good.
Yeah, I just missed those.

My website
My Librivox reader page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Elizabby wrote: May 24th, 2019, 8:55 pm As I’m sure you’re all aware, I’ve fallen behind with the PLing for this project. However, good news ahead! The fabulous Mark Nelson has come on board as editor and to help us all out with his amazing LV skills! He will post in a bit, and Anne, can we get sjmarky MW access please?
Sorry - missed that , you should now have access Mark - welome to Venice :D
benderca

Post by benderca »

Here's Tessa, Act 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/gondoliers_tessa_2.mp3

As requested, I read the two "chorus" sections that come right before Tessa enters:

"Here we are, at the risk of our lives,
From ever so far, and we’ve brought your wives –
And to that end we’ve crossed the main,
And don’t intend to return again!"

and

"So here we are, at the risk of our lives,
And we’ve brought your wives –
And to that end we’ve crossed the main,
And we don’t intend to return again!"

Also when the chorus repeats Tessa's line:

"We shall both go on requesting
Till you tell us, never doubt it;
Everything is interesting,
Tell us, tell us all about it!"

I repeated it, but I kept "We shall both go on requesting" instead of "They will both go on requesting..." (Let me know if you'd like me to do that differently).

Thanks!
TJ
benderca

Post by benderca »

Could someone please link Tessa, Act 2 to the magic window and mark it as "ready to PL"? I'd hate for the file to get lost in the crowd -- and also I'm trying to keep my "Reader Page" up to date. Thanks!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Done!
benderca

Post by benderca »

Elizabby wrote: September 4th, 2019, 2:01 pmDone!
Thanks!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

So, it looks like Act II is ready for assembly?

My website
My Librivox reader page
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes, I think so.

There’s a few chorus lines which are incomplete but I thought we might just go with whatever we have.

And some of the chorus have given us the whole of the Mikado’s song, instead of just the choruses, so that will need cutting.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Okay then, I’ll get to work on it.

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I downloaded all the PL'd parts from Act II, but I realize I need some from Act I as well, so I'll hold off until their OK'd.

My website
My Librivox reader page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Drive-by PL'ing. From what I can tell (the script/roles are confusing with the choruses/all/men/etc.)

Antonio/Annibale: Act I PL OK

Luiz:
Act I:
At about 5:29, the line is, " ALL. A tale free from every doubt, etc." which indicates to me a repeat of a chorus. What was read was only "A tale free from every doubt"
(Act II lines are read starting at 6:33, but they're read better in the Act II file.)

Act II: PL OK

Francesco/Georgio Act 1:
About 1:11, I think you're missing a male chorus:
CHORUS OF GIRLS. My papa he keeps three horses,
Black, and white, and dapple grey, sir;
Turn three times, then take your courses,
Catch whichever girl you may, sir!
CHORUS OF MEN. My papa, etc.

1:24 - missing "All" line?
ALL. Fate in this has put his finger—
Let us bow to Fate's decree,
Then no longer let us linger,
To the altar hurry we!

Giuseppe Act I: PL OK

Marco Act I:
He read Chorus of Contadine and "all" lines at beginning, which I think is all women. Lines for Marco start at about 0:57.

1:05, 1:09 - said "we're happy as can be" rather than "we're happy as happy can be" - shouldn't be a problem, as it's a chorus line.

2:16 - line reads "Giuseppe\Are Marco and I;" and it was read that way. :) Can be cut out if needed with careful editing.

2:45 - didn't repeat full refrain, but it can be copied from before.

(a few "all/chorus" lines are read in this scene, which are more responses to Marco and Giuseppe than they are them speaking.)

5:38, 6:21 - missing "What!" (line for "all")

6:22 - I think the 4 lines were to be read by all 4 characters? Only the first was read:
MAR., GIU., Viva! His argument is strong!
GIA., TESS. Viva! We'll not be parted long!
. . . . . . . . Viva! It will be settled soon!
. . . . . . . . Viva! Then comes our honeymoon!

7:33 & following: - chorus lines read, which is probably everyone but the foursome (or MArco & Giuseppe)

8:49 - refrain not read fully, but can be taken from 8:14

10:00 - full refrain not read:
(GIANETTA) And O my darling, O my pet,
Whatever else you may forget,
In yonder isle beyond the sea,
Do not forget you've married me!
QUARTET. Oh my darling, O my pet, etc.

10:46 - repeat of 2 lines "Where the roses blow
All the winter while." One can be cut out

Tessa, Act I:

1:27 - "Gondolieri carissimi! Siamo contadine!" lines from here are repeated at 2:04-2:37. Not a problem; just confusing. ;)

9:31 / 9:38 - a couple lines repeated; not a big deal.
---

I've marked the ones PL OK in the MW that are clearly PL OK. I didn't mark the ones I made any notes on.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart