COMPLETE[PLAY]The Eunuch by Terence - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Eunuchus: The Eunuch by Terence (c.195 BC - 159 BC). Translated by Henry Thomas Riley (1816 - 1878)

Another of the plays by Terence translated from the Latin by Riley. "A certain citizen of Athens had a daughter named Pamphila, and a son called Chremes. The former was stolen while an infant, and sold to a Rhodian merchant, who having made a present of her to a Courtesan of Rhodes, she brought her up with her own daughter Thais, who was somewhat older." (From Translator summary)

<br> Hmmm, so kidnapping and slavery to start off; then there will be eunuchs and rape before the play ends. And it is a comedy?! Ah, well, it was 200BC. Times and opinions (thank goodness) have changed at least a bit since then.
( ToddHW)
  • Gender neutral. And Kitty, the wonderful Kitty, will be our DPL. Best be on your best behavior (since your characters are not!)

This project is complete. Audio files may be found in the Librivox catalog at https://librivox.org/eunuchus-the-eunuch-by-terence/

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22188
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: Az4s1BfK
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Terence) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 44
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1896
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays

Keywords that describe the book: satire, slavery, Latin

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Eunuchus: The Eunuch, by Terence. Translated by Henry Thomas Riley. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        eunuchus_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
      Thanks, Todd
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

May I claim Phaedria.

Gnatho sounded fun! A parasite, love it! :D
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I'd like to play Chærea. :)
Tomas Peter
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

May I play the small role of Antipho?
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read Thraso?

4 new plays in 48 hours!
Great!!!
Thanks to Todd.
Last edited by alanmapstone on May 20th, 2019, 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

May I read Chremes?
Josh Kibbey
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Pythias and DPL calling in :) putting this on my to-do-list

@Alan and Josh: thanks for your claims ! will update MW.

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

May I claim Dorias, and Sophrona?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thais for me please! :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Here's my contribution (and I belive my appearance is in Act 3, not 2):

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/eunuchus_antipho_3_128kb.mp3
3:37
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. And yes it is Act 3.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: May 25th, 2019, 4:20 pmHere's my contribution (and I belive my appearance is in Act 3, not 2):
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/eunuchus_antipho_3_128kb.mp3
3:37
excellent job, totally PL ok :) a pity he only appeared in one act. he could have been the voice of reason all throughout. I especially liked your first monologue in the beginning, quite expressive :thumbs:

thanks !

Sonia