The Demian Dilemma

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I know that Elizabby has submitted texts to PG before. I don't know who else, or how it's done.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Old thread: How to Make a Project Gutenberg E-Book

Archive is much easier.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

I sent in an online interlibrary request using my local library website. Librarian says they can access LSU books. Let's see what happens.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Update on my Demian project: I got the hardcover book from the library, Gutenberg has accepted the copyright page, I read the FAQ's and I am now teaching myself the process of scanning it in with my Epson Perfection 4490 Scanner and ABBY OCR software. This experience gives me a whole new appreciation of the Gutenberg Project. WOW! The PG represents a lot of volunteer effort!

I am recording a chapter as I correct the OCR errors, proofing as I go along. When Gutenberg accepts and uploads the book, my recordings should be ready to upload as well.
Cori

Post by Cori »

msfry wrote: March 12th, 2019, 9:39 pmThis experience gives me a whole new appreciation of the Gutenberg Project. WOW! The PG represents a lot of volunteer effort!
So true!
I am recording a chapter as I correct the OCR errors, proofing as I go along. When Gutenberg accepts and uploads the book, my recordings should be ready to upload as well.
That's sort of how I got started here, thinking that reading aloud would be a great way of spotting errors. Turns out my vocal cords are much more forgiving than eyes and brain. You've got a hard project on your hands, Michele! Glad it's coming along so well, though.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Do I understand that an e-book edition would be acceptable?

If so, it's available at https://www.amazon.com/Demian-Translated-N-H-Piday-ebook/dp/B07DT69MHB

If I'm mistaken, then I've learned something important.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No, because we cannot determine if it's been modified. There's no clear indication that it's the 1919 text. (Also, did Amazon or the publisher slap a license or copyright on it? The version we read from must be public domain.)
msfry

Post by msfry »

I have acquired an ebook edition from Amazon, and there are some differences.

The link above has a curious misspelling of the translator's name as well. I would not trust it to be the original translation.

From Wikipedia:
Hermann Hesse, Stanley Appelbaum. Demian: A Dual-Language Book.Courier Dover Publications, 2002, p.xiv.
The first English translation by N. H. Priday was published in 1923 in New York by Boni & Liveright; it was re-issued in 1948 by Henry Holt.
Timms, Edward (1990). Peter Collier and Judy Davies, ed. Modernism and the European Unconscious. Oxford: Polity Press. ISBN 0-7456-0519-2.

I hold the original book in my hand, the scanned pages of which are locked up in my old hard drive which my new computer hasn't been able to read yet. This week I take the HD to a professional. :hmm:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

The e-book listed at the link I posted does seem a bit dodgy. (I don't know if I should apologize. I do feel badly, though.)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Just to follow up, I received copyright notice OK to proceed with the project, and I've sent my scanned and OCR corrected book to Gutenberg and am waiting for a reply of acceptance. No idea how long that takes or if they send an acknowledgment letter. Meanwhile, I've completely recorded the book, so once it gets on Gutenberg, I'll post the project.

Anybody have an idea how long this could take?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I am almost sure that once PG has cleared we can accept it as a project, because there are 2 steps involved - the first to get PG to agree it is PD, which makes it OK for us
And the second for it to go through the proofreading process to get a readable text and that step is a bit like us - they are volunteers and it happens when it happens.

There are a few around the forums who do this so you may get a better answer

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, as long as you're not looking for someone to read along with the text for PL, you can post the project now. :)

Alternately, you could set up the OCR on a file sharing site or, depending on its size, email it to your DPL.
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: May 19th, 2019, 5:15 am Yes, as long as you're not looking for someone to read along with the text for PL, you can post the project now. :)

Alternately, you could set up the OCR on a file sharing site or, depending on its size, email it to your DPL.
That all sounds like a plan. Will do this next week!

And maybe someone on the inside at PG will check on the status of my submission. The copyright clearance number I submitted with the OCR text is:

OK 20190226075545hesse Demian Hermann Hesse 1923:c
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: May 19th, 2019, 7:15 am
TriciaG wrote: May 19th, 2019, 5:15 am Yes, as long as you're not looking for someone to read along with the text for PL, you can post the project now. :)

That all sounds like a plan. Will do this next week!

And maybe someone on the inside at PG will check on the status of my submission. The copyright clearance number I submitted with the OCR text is:

OK 20190226075545hesse Demian Hermann Hesse 1923:c
I'll do the DPL, if you'd like, so long as it's not Word Perfect you're looking for. "Demian" played an important role in my adolescence.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Kevin. I do have an offer from someone else, but haven't firmed that up yet. I'll let you know what goes.

Adolescence, a confusing time for all, a rough business for an introspective truth-seeker like Sinclair. It is an interesting book, a piercing look into bullying, sexual awakening, disconnect from parents, isolation from society, college life, devastation of war, and more -- sensational for its time.