[COMPLETE] The History of Britain by Milton - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

The History of Britain by John Milton (1608 - 1674).

This project is now complete! All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/the-history-of-britain-by-john-milton/

A reader of this history, encountering the frequent references to “my author,” meaning the current source, will be reminded of Don Quixote and of The Morte d’Arthur, for Milton employs a style that might be called dissertational rather then novelistic; he carefully identifies his sources and often quotes from them. However, much of the scholarly documentation has been omitted from the reading—all except footnotes indicating the years—to avoid cumbersome interruptions.

What will be obvious to a listener, though, is that Milton uses earlier chronicles with discretion. He doubts the very existence of Arthur and proposes an ingenious explanation of the origin of his supposed father, Uther. When obliged to cite George Buchanan, the world-renowned neo-Latin author and tutor (later detractor) of Mary Queen of Scots, he regularly uses more than a grain of salt, in view of that scholar’s Scottish bias. And as he carefully weighs the reliability of his sources, so he offers his candid opinion of the wisdom and integrity of historical figures. He sneers at the story of King Canute’s famously commanding the rising tide of waves to retire, but not for the reason one might suppose. Boadicea gets low marks, Alfred high ones—but not without some reservations. And in a long digression comparing the government of Britain, newly freed from Roman domination, to the British republic under Cromwell (for which, as Secretary of the Foreign Tongues, Milton was the voice), his criticism is so frank and savage that the passage had to be suppressed during his lifetime. Such personal opinions are what make this book entertaining and useful for the serious study of the author’s thought and personality.

The endearingly affectionate life of the author, written by his elder nephew, Edward Philips, offers much first-hand information although its facts are not always accurate and its coverage spotty. One learns nothing, for example, about Milton’s visit to the home of Galileo, but Philips's discussion of the role his cousins played in their father’s scholarly pursuits is detailed and affords no basis to the myth that he ever dictated his poetry to his daughters. ( T. A. Copeland)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/historyofbritain00miltuoft/page/n7
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    <br>
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Antiquity; *Non-fiction/History /Middle Ages/Middle History
    Keywords that describe the book: england britain legend history english british
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The History of Britain. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The History of Britain, by John Milton. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The History of Britain by John Milton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The History of Britain, by John Milton. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename historyofbritain_##_milton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. historyofbritain_01_milton_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by chymocles on August 2nd, 2019, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Tom,

nice to have you back! :clap:

I'm happy to MC this for you, but we need to have a chat about your text source... :? Since your link does not provide a full scan, and shows title pages of several editions, I am not convinced that the text is taken from a single edition only.

However, I could find an 1818 edition of "The History of Britain" that is perfectly fine to read from:
https://archive.org/details/historyofbritain00miltuoft/page/n7

What do you think?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I'll be happy to use the text you recommend. Thanks. I think I would also like to read the "Life of Milton" that precedes it since it was written by his nephew, whom Milton had home-schooled, but I don't think I want to record the preface. If it is all right with you, I would like to start the project with the main text, though. There is no special reason not to put the "Life" at the end of the project rather than at the beginning, is there?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Great!

It's okay not to read the preface, that's your choice.

About the "Life of Milton"... we have a number of readers that like to read along with the text. I think it would be quite confusing for them if the first part in the book would be the last part in the recording. For this reason, I would recommend that you read it at the beginning, where it is in the book itself.

Alternatively, you could read the "Life of Milton" as a standalone section for our "Short Nonfiction Collection" here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=74648
Sue Anderson is always happy to get interesting recordings. If you choose to read this part of the book for her, just read the first post of that thread (the intro/outro is slightly different) and submit your finished recording there.

Just let me know what your plans are.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Excellent solution. I will do this afterwards. I am enjoying the mainly mythical early history. When I find a PL, I will have something ready.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Tom, I've set this up for you, you're ready to go!

Please read from the link I provided, other than that, everything is fine.
Do you want to do the cover for this book as well?

Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

I’d be more than happy to DPL :)
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Welcome, Elsie. I'll have something for you today or tomorrow.

Yes, Availle, I'll do the cover eventually.

Thanks to both of you,

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I can't log in to the BC admin page. it doesn't even offer me a place to enter a username and password; it just tells me to get out. I did, however, upload the first file.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You probably have a problem with the wrong password. You can use your own BC password to upload your files and then you can get into the MW without troubles. In your own projects, you don't need to use the generic uploader password.

I have retrieved your upload and filled in the MW for you. For now. ;-)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thanks for the band-aid, but I am confused. Right now, I don't even remember how I got to the uploader even though it happened only hours ago. I must also point out that the page of information on how to use the MW (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcMZhSudHexxZHQ3MjR2d18xMjFndHc1NWdkcA&hl=en) is no help at all for uploading or for entering the MW. These seem to be secrets, and I have forgotten them.

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Tom, this file is grossly outdated. I have no idea where you got this from?

Please use this link here (in our own wiki) for the current process:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

I hope this helps.

To make sure about your login: You can always use your own BC login for the Magic Window to upload any files. This will prevent issues with wrong logins, on the workflow level at least. Remember also that the workflow (i.e., the uploader and MW) and the forum (here) can have different passwords (if you set them up differently).
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

You can always use your own BC login for the Magic Window to upload any files.
After sleeping on the matter, I decided that I should log out and then log in again. So I did that this morning. Then I clicked on the "BC Admin" link and repeated the process, using the same login, but it did not work. I went through this process twice, in case I might have misspelled something. No go.

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I just checked a second time, you are definitely in as BC for this project and should have access. If you'd like to discuss that more, maybe we should switch to private messages so we can talk about passwords and stuff.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Since the launch pad is a bit full at the moment, I'm moving this to "going solo" even though we haven't gotten you MW access yet... We'll sort it out Tom, don't worry!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com