Question about etiquette re: solo recording

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kozmique

Post by Kozmique »

I found a book that I really love, and signed up for the group project. I submitted one chapter right away, then had some technical difficulties so the second chapter took much longer. I was checking the MW every day and saw that the thread appeared stalled - no one else had commented or uploaded a recording yet, so I figured I was fine and just kept at it. I posted it as soon it was done, only to find the chapter had been assigned to someone else just the day before. I realize I should have mentioned I was still working on it and asked for an extension as time slipped by. But I was kind of surprised that no one messaged me to ask about my progress before reassigning it. I'm not worried about it, it was good recording practice for me, and a lesson in communication. My real question is, would it be ok to begin my own solo version even while the group project is still happening, or would that be considered rude? I don't believe there are any other versions at this time.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Well, this is good time for further conversation. I would certainly contact the person who initiated the project and ask if he or she thought there was difficulty in attracting volunteers to complete the work. (Is that the problem as you see it?) And you might volunteer to do another section, explaining your previous difficulties. And there is a chance that the person who stepped in to take on your second chapter has not yet started. The BC could check on this, and perhaps your completed work could be used instead.

As for a solo work, I don't think LibriVox ever discourages people from taking on a project, even if it's been done before. My own hope is that you'll be able to help complete the current project before doing the book as a solo endeavor.

Best wishes to you!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kozmique wrote: May 17th, 2019, 11:37 am I submitted one chapter right away, then had some technical difficulties so the second chapter took much longer. I was checking the MW every day and saw that the thread appeared stalled - no one else had commented or uploaded a recording yet, so I figured I was fine and just kept at it. I posted it as soon it was done, only to find the chapter had been assigned to someone else just the day before.
I am not quite sure if I understand correctly - was this a chapter you had claimed or did you just record it and look at the MW?

If you have claimed a section, you usually have about two months time to complete it. Most of the BCs I worked with yet ask how you progress at the end of the two months, I think, some give an extension. But it depends, like all on LibriVox ;)

It happened to me twice that a section I was half way through was taken away from me. One time I was really not happy because I was not asked and I was within a two months limit, only the BC had set limit to one month, she said (what I had not noticed). The other time I simply didn't deliver the section in a timely manner - my fault. There I was asked once and it had been a really long time until the section was taken away.

BCs tend to get less patient when a project is fully claimed and they're only waiting for one or two sections ;)

If you recorded and only looked at the MW if the slot was still open - tough luck :) That's why you claim.
Kozmique wrote: May 17th, 2019, 11:37 am y real question is, would it be ok to begin my own solo version even while the group project is still happening, or would that be considered rude?
If you love the book and want to read it as a solo, go ahead. LibriVox loves the choice of voices. Only notice that you will have to record the whole book again, including the sections you already recorded for the group project. There is no such thing like reusing recordings.
Last edited by moniaqua on May 17th, 2019, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I see no reason why you cannot solo the book at the same time a group project is going on. I am sure it has happened before. In fact, now that I think of it, I have done it in the past with a similar but a bit different situation. :-)

As for your section being orphaned without communication - BC's handle the situation in different ways. Some PM reminders, some do not. Sometimes it is a mix, depending on the situation. It is always best to communicate with your BC if you are going to need an extension over the initial 1-2 month deadline - either post in the thread or send them a PM.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Kozmique

Post by Kozmique »

moniaqua wrote: May 17th, 2019, 1:06 pm I am not quite sure if I understand correctly - was this a chapter you had claimed or did you just record it and look at the MW?
I had claimed the section and was listed in the MW. Not much was happening for a long time so I was a little surprised, even though I had gone over the recommended time limit, totally my own fault. I had already uploaded it and was about to post my link when I saw that it had been reassigned, so first I posted it anyway, but then I deleted it because that made no sense. Now it looks like the project has taken off, though there are several chapters still open (not that one, though). I guess I could sign up for another one! But I really love the book, and identify with the main character, so would like to try my hand at recording the whole thing. It doesn't have to be immediate, though. I've never recorded a whole book before.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It is always important to post how far you are along with your sections, even in a solo project.

I tend to be nice to newer readers who may not be aware of our 2 month limit and send them a reminder with a sharp deadline for a response. I do not bother to send a pm if I can see that people have disappeared right after they claimed, for example. It does depend a little on how popular the project is or on how close to completion.

Even in solos, if you are not active on the forums for a longer period of time, they will be abandoned.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kozmique

Post by Kozmique »

Availle wrote: May 17th, 2019, 3:22 pm It is always important to post how far you are along with your sections, even in a solo project.
I understand that now!
Availle wrote: May 17th, 2019, 3:22 pm I tend to be nice to newer readers who may not be aware of our 2 month limit and send them a reminder with a sharp deadline for a response. I do not bother to send a pm if I can see that people have disappeared right after they claimed, for example. It does depend a little on how popular the project is or on how close to completion.
I'm still kind of new, but yeah, I should have realized by now that I needed to communicate that I hadn't just disappeared. I'd already sent in one chapter, and thought since no one else was posting anything that I had some wiggle room. I'm still shocked at how quickly two months can slip by just like that :shock:
Availle wrote: May 17th, 2019, 3:22 pm Even in solos, if you are not active on the forums for a longer period of time, they will be abandoned.
I will keep that in mind!

Thanks for the input and quick responses!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kozmique wrote: May 17th, 2019, 2:38 pm I had already uploaded it and was about to post my link when I saw that it had been reassigned, so first I posted it anyway, but then I deleted it because that made no sense.
Oh, in this case you even can use the recording in the solo as it wasn't used yet :) You only need to change the disclaimer.
Kozmique wrote: May 17th, 2019, 2:38 pm But I really love the book, and identify with the main character, so would like to try my hand at recording the whole thing. It doesn't have to be immediate, though. I've never recorded a whole book before.
It is a longish process, but still fun. Btw, thank you for the reminder, I think there passed some other months by and I have to note that I am still alive and working on mine. :oops: