[Complete]The Complete Works of Brann, the Iconoclast, Volume 1 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Hi Bill, I reuploaded/replaced 16 with the only changes being what you mentioned at 1:54 - Walpurgis, and 7:16 - oleaginous. Though I rarely, if ever, read perfectly, these two flubs would have bothered me. (At least I already caught when I pronounced Englishman EnglishNAM) :D

Cheers!
Scotty
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

iBeScotty wrote: May 8th, 2019, 9:04 am Hi Bill, I reuploaded/replaced 16 with the only changes being what you mentioned at 1:54 - Walpurgis, and 7:16 - oleaginous. Though I rarely, if ever, read perfectly, these two flubs would have bothered me. (At least I already caught when I pronounced Englishman EnglishNAM) :D

Cheers!
:thumbs:
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

williamjones wrote: May 8th, 2019, 4:35 am A nice, careful reading of a "hi-falutin' rant".
Well, I tend to be a "slow-talker" (an Okie/Texas mix in my background), so maybe my natural style is a bit too deliberate for this colorful material. :D But I did enjoy it anyway. (If you can believe it, I sometimes try to speed up a bit when recording as I'm afraid I may be speaking too slowly, but that generally doesn't work out very well.)

Thanks again, Bill.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
msfry

Post by msfry »

lubee930 wrote: May 8th, 2019, 4:27 pm
williamjones wrote: May 8th, 2019, 4:35 am A nice, careful reading of a "hi-falutin' rant".
Well, I tend to be a "slow-talker" (an Okie/Texas mix in my background), so maybe my natural style is a bit too deliberate for this colorful material. :D But I did enjoy it anyway. (If you can believe it, I sometimes try to speed up a bit when recording as I'm afraid I may be speaking too slowly, but that generally doesn't work out very well.)

Thanks again, Bill.
Lucretia, you've been around here a long time, so who am I to tell you anything, but I just want to say that I tend to read too fast, so on almost all my recordings, after I've finished editing, I bring the tempo down -2. It increases my own enjoyment when listening, too. Apparently, I listen slower than I talk. :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Thanks again, Bill.
I very much appreciate your reading this chapter.
You did a great job.
If you have the time and inclination to another of the 3 remaining chapters, that would be very much appreciated.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

msfry wrote: May 8th, 2019, 7:25 pm
Thanks again, Bill.
Lucretia, you've been around here a long time, so who am I to tell you anything, but I just want to say that I tend to read too fast, so on almost all my recordings, after I've finished editing, I bring the tempo down -2. It increases my own enjoyment when listening, too. Apparently, I listen slower than I talk. :D

That's a good thought, Michele. Because when I deliberately try to speed up as I'm reading, I think that I just end up with a crummy, variable speed recording. Some parts slower, some parts faster. :( I'll give your method a try (in reverse, that is!)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

williamjones wrote: May 8th, 2019, 7:29 pm I very much appreciate your reading this chapter.
You did a great job.
If you have the time and inclination to another of the 3 remaining chapters, that would be very much appreciated.
Thank you, Bill--Let me catch up on my unfinished claims (so easy to get too enthusiastic around here, although I should know better by now). Then I may try another section. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is my final addition to this project:

Chapter 18:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast1_18_brann_128kb.mp3

Run time is 15:34

Take care,

Greg

P.S. I look forward to Volume 2!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

GregGiordano wrote: May 16th, 2019, 6:50 pm Here is my final addition to this project:

Chapter 18:

Take care,

Greg

Thank you, Greg!
we appreciate your contributions to this unusual project. :clap:
Note: the next Volume will likely be Volume 12, which contains the story of and accounts of Brann's gun fight death in the dusty streets of Waco.
Stay tuned.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

williamjones wrote: May 17th, 2019, 3:31 am
GregGiordano wrote: May 16th, 2019, 6:50 pm Here is my final addition to this project:

Chapter 18:

Take care,

Greg

Thank you, Greg!
we appreciate your contributions to this unusual project. :clap:
Note: the next Volume will likely be Volume 12, which contains the story of and accounts of Brann's gun fight death in the dusty streets of Waco.
Stay tuned.
It sounds exciting. I will be on the lookout!

Greg
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Chapter 18:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast1_18_brann_128kb.mp3 Run time is 15:34

Thanks again Greg.
I noticed one small slip:
at 2:08 I heard "EVERY existence" which should be "VERY existence".
I will leave it up to you whether to overdub the correct word
but I am marking this very good recitation as PL OK !
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Chapter 45 Trilby and the Trilbyites.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast1_45_brann_128kb.mp3 25:34
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

williamjones wrote: May 17th, 2019, 6:19 am

Chapter 18:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/iconoclast1_18_brann_128kb.mp3 Run time is 15:34

Thanks again Greg.
I noticed one small slip:
at 2:08 I heard "EVERY existence" which should be "VERY existence".
I will leave it up to you whether to overdub the correct word
but I am marking this very good recitation as PL OK !
Thanks, Bill. If you are okay with it, I will leave it be. If the error was more egregious I would definitely correct it, but I'm quite behind on my LV projects and would rather use my limited free time elsewhere.

Thanks for the nice feedback, by the way. And, thank you for telling me about this project. I love the sarcasm and wit of Brann. He reminds me, to some extent, of Washington Irving, my favorite American author.

Thanks again,

Greg
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Brann 45 Trilby

:45 Egypt, you say Europe
5:44 beside that pathetic passage, you say besides, probably could delete the s
16:57 Me-phis-topheles, you say Mes-topheles
21:12 spoon victuals, you say vic-tals.
22:14 Trilby skips the trala, you say skeeps

I've never heard of tTrilby, and am not curious to read the story, so I guess Brann did a good job of squashing it. :roll:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

msfry wrote: May 17th, 2019, 8:21 am PL Notes Brann 45 Trilby

:45 Egypt, you say Europe
5:44 beside that pathetic passage, you say besides, probably could delete the s
16:57 Me-phis-topheles, you say Mes-topheles
21:12 spoon victuals, you say vic-tals.
22:14 Trilby skips the trala, you say skeeps

I've never heard of tTrilby, and am not curious to read the story, so I guess Brann did a good job of squashing it. :roll:
Michele, this comes very close to 'correcting' pronunciation that would be considered correct (eg 'victuals' would usually be pronounced 'vittals'or 'victals' in the UK), whereas 'vic-tu-als' would be considered incorrect and a sign of poor educational background. This is why we don't comment on pronunciation... there are too many variables.