Strategy of Indirect Approach by Liddell Hart

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
mgobirch

Post by mgobirch »

This title is another of Liddell Hart's. We've done some before but my understanding is that his works are still in copyright. His works were all copyrighted first in the UK, a member of the Berne Convention and GATT. In the UK, copyright is still 70 years after the death of the author correct? unless explicitly dedicated to the commons/public domain. Am I wrong that this should still be in copyright? How did we make the judgements on his other texts about Sherman?

This title is much more canonical in regards to strategy and military history. So if we can do this one, I'd prefer to narrate the whole thing myself. However, I'm also new and not a project manager, so I would need someone else to help me with the whole process and set everything up.

Here's the link to the scanned title on IA: https://archive.org/details/strategyofindire035126mbp/page/n15

Again, we already have 3 of the author's works translated about W.T. Sherman, so I'm guessing I'm missing something here.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

I tried to look for the other books by him in our catalog, and it didn't turn up with anything. All the books in our catalog about Sherman seem to be written by Sherman. Even if I am missing something, there could be a reason. Different countries have different copyright laws. So for LibriVox purposes, there are two conditions that must be met. The basic is US copyright law, which means the text must be published before 1924. If it meets that condition, the next condition is your own country's. So if for you it is 70 years after the author dies, you must follow that. That being said, if the book itself was still published before 1924, someone like me could read it, as I am in the US and only have to follow that one rule. Hope that makes sense. Looking at this scan, I can not find anywhere that says its publication date. When I googled it, it says that the book was first published in 1954, which unfortunately doesn't even meet the first requirement. So it will be a few years before we can read it. Hope that's not confusing.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just to get our requirements clear. All books we catalogue must be out of copyright (Public Domain) in the USA as that is where our catalogue is based. This year that automatically applies to books published in the USA before 1923. That is the simple part.
There are odd exceptions, and understanding them is why people have careers as copyright and patent lawyers :D . We don't have any access to this sort of expertise so that's the rule we operate on, unless it is a site we know do have access to legal opinions and who use them That for us is Project Gutenberg or Haithi.

Every other country has its own rules covering copyright so we who are not residing in the USA do need to also follow our country's laws. That is your personal responsibility, we don't know where you live or what your laws are, just as it is when you download music or other things.
The book you are asking about says in the introduction that the first edition was published in 1929, I couldn't see a date for the edition shown, but from the wording he obviously changed things, so unless you can find a copy on our trusted site we can't use it.

Anne
mgobirch

Post by mgobirch »

Thanks Anne,

I'm actually an intellectual property manager at a university press, actually I used to work for Hathi Trust, which is only a few doors down from my office (which I think is what you're referencing). And my point is that because of the Be cause of the Berne convention, if a book is in copyright in a partner country (unless that book was published before 1923) the country of origin copyright law applies (which is what the first person was saying I think).

I'm pretty sure the Sherman books are written by Liddell as an editor of Sherman's journals and letters, which is why I mentioned them.

Basically I love this book and was really hoping we'd received some kind of confirmation that the work was PD, probably just read too much into it.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That's all just too complex for us - and isn't it before 1924 now? The admins are all volunteers and I personally regard the continual PD discussion wastes time I would sooner spend in other ways. :D One day - maybe - the copyright rules will be international, but that hasn't happened yet and I suspect will never, self-interest will rule.
At the moment Archive and therefore we are not blocked in any country, let's just keep it the way. Lobby your politicians if you want laws changed.

Anne
mgobirch

Post by mgobirch »

Gotcha, thanks Anne!

For now, I'll still keep an eye out for cool works, and help out with those already in process.

Best,
Bryan