[COMPLETE] Dred, A Tale of the Great Dismal Swamp, by H. B. Stowe - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Dred, A Tale of the Great Dismal Swamp, by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811 - 1896).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/dred-a-tale-of-the-great-dismal-swamp-by-harriet-beecher-stowe/
This is Stowe's second book, another one depicting the horrors of southern slavery, published 4 years after Uncle Tom's Cabin and 5 years before the commencement of the Civil War, when new territories wanting admittance into the US (Texas, Oklahoma, name the states), were vying to become slave states, threatening to spread the heinous system. While a work of fiction, the book successfully documents the horrors of the slave system, and depicts how some slaves escaped into the Dismal Swamp (a real place spreading over a million acres in southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina), where they often lived for years hiding from their pursuers, often in community. Dred, one of Stowe's most unusual heroic characters, proclaims his mission as follows: ". . .the burden of the Lord is upon me . . . to show unto this people their iniquity, and be a sign unto this evil nation!'" The book depicts that slaves were not all passive victims, as so often portrayed, and had many white sympathizers, but all were caught in the grips of a legal system so stacked against them that nobody could overturn it without threats to life and limb. The book was welcomed by the anti-slavery movement in Europe as well as in America, and helped move the needle of sympathy to finally overthrowing the system. ( Michele Fry)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    Plot summary and character descriptions can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dred:_A_Tale_of_the_Great_Dismal_Swamp
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the Source Text? (please read ONLY from this text!): www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/55012
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below), by posting your request below (Post Reply)! If this is your first recording, please let the Book Coordinator know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Level of prooflistening requested: SPECIAL, Proof listeners will follow along with the text and note any significant discrepancies by return post --
    repeats, prolonged silences, missing text, wrong words that significantly change the meaning intended by the author, etc., as well as technical aspects which don't pass Checker requirements. Readers are asked to address any changes needed within a reasonable period.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE: Just so we're all on the same page, let's pronounce Nina the Southern way, as Nigh-na, (not Nee-na), and the plantation Canema as Can'-ah-ma, like Canada but with an m. Questions about other proper names, please ask.

7. DURING recording:
    Between 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (INTRO)
    • "Chapter #, (part # if applicable) of Dred, A Tale of the Great Dismal Swamp, by Harriet Beecher Stowe. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording/read by [your name], [city, date, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Dred [Chapter#, Chapter Name]"

END of recording (OUTRO)
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter #, (Part # if applicable), Chapter Name]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording/read by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Dred, A Tale of the Great Dismal Swamp, by Harriet Beecher Stowe."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Saving files:
    Copy and paste this file name:
    dred_##_hbstowe_128kb (all lower-case) where ## is the section number, and SAVE as an .mp3 (e.g. dred_01_hbstowe_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please copy, and post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
MC: TriciaG
BC: Michele Fry
DPL: Michele Fry &
Cover: Michele Fry
Last edited by msfry on September 14th, 2019, 8:17 pm, edited 23 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. I've entered your pre-claim, too. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: May 9th, 2019, 5:02 pm This is set up. I've entered your pre-claim, too. :)
Thanks, Tricia. This could be a long project, but let's relax and take our time and see what happens. Stowe and her historical time period is always interesting (to me at least). I'll get the MW up this week. Thanks for the preclaim, that was sweet of you.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Preface is uploaded. MW is being filled in.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/dred_00_stowe_128kb.mp3 5:10
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Dred Preface:

Hello Michele.
I was happy to receive your request to Proof the opening 5-minute Preface to Dred.
My experience with your "Keys to Uncle Tom's Cabin" was eye-opening, so perhaps I can even read a couple of sections of this HBS book too.

Only one divergence from the source text, and it probably should be passed by, so, I am adjudicating you the PL OK !

1:41 Heard "her powers" but in the source one sees: "his powers" --- trivial, considering the context.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Bill. I hope you do take on a few sections.
Henrieke

Post by Henrieke »

Could read chapter 1, please? I've read uncle Tom's cabin a couple of times. I really like Stowe's way of writing and how she makes me think about slavery. Didn't know about this book, so I'm quite excited to read it.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Readers Wanted. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

Henrieke wrote: May 10th, 2019, 2:04 pm Could read chapter 1, please? I've read uncle Tom's cabin a couple of times. I really like Stowe's way of writing and how she makes me think about slavery. Didn't know about this book, so I'm quite excited to read it.
Hi, Henrieke, I see you're already entered into our catalog and have gotten the OK on your 1 minute test and sent in a 7 minute file on another project. That tells me you are up to speed in finding the text source, recording, editing, naming your file, uploading it to the right folder. So far so good. Now for your second recording you are choosing a piece that kicks off and sets the tone of a whole book, with a chapter about 30 minutes long containing lots of dialogue, and introducing the major characters. I considered tackling this chapter myself but decided it might be too much of a challenge for me without understanding a lot more of the book first!!!! I usually council newbies to look for simpler pieces under 1500 words, no more than 10 minutes long, until they really get a handle on the recording/editing process.

I've put you in the MW and can reserve this for you for 2 months, should you want to cut your teeth on some shorter pieces first. HINT: Group projects with short files, submitting short stories of your own, and participating on our Weekly/Fortnightly poetry projects (which are low key and great fun), are ideal places for newbies to get in some valuable practice. There are some short chapters in this book too.

But hey, if you think you are up to the challenge immediately, I'm on board with encouraging you. I wish you the best, look forward to listening, and will help any way I can. :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

May I please claim chapters 8 "Old Tiff" and 10 "The Preparation" ?
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ok, Bill, you're in for 8 and 10. :D
Henrieke

Post by Henrieke »

msfry wrote: May 10th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Henrieke wrote: May 10th, 2019, 2:04 pm Could read chapter 1, please? I've read uncle Tom's cabin a couple of times. I really like Stowe's way of writing and how she makes me think about slavery. Didn't know about this book, so I'm quite excited to read it.
Hi, Henrieke, I see you're already entered into our catalog and have gotten the OK on your 1 minute test and sent in a 7 minute file on another project. That tells me you are up to speed in finding the text source, recording, editing, naming your file, uploading it to the right folder. So far so good. Now for your second recording you are choosing a piece that kicks off and sets the tone of a whole book, with a chapter about 30 minutes long containing lots of dialogue, and introducing the major characters. I considered tackling this chapter myself but decided it might be too much of a challenge for me without understanding a lot more of the book first!!!! I usually council newbies to look for simpler pieces under 1500 words, no more than 10 minutes long, until they really get a handle on the recording/editing process.

I've put you in the MW and can reserve this for you for 2 months, should you want to cut your teeth on some shorter pieces first. HINT: Group projects with short files, submitting short stories of your own, and participating on our Weekly/Fortnightly poetry projects (which are low key and great fun), are ideal places for newbies to get in some valuable practice. There are some short chapters in this book too.

But hey, if you think you are up to the challenge immediately, I'm on board with encouraging you. I wish you the best, look forward to listening, and will help any way I can. :D
I see your point... I just thought starting at the beginning of the book would be the easiest :lol: Because you always start a book at the beginning. I will first read a chapter of Catherine Booth, before I will record chapter 1.

What do you think would be best? I'm happy to read another chapter as well. But I could also give it a go. If I do chapter 1, please be very honest if you enjoy listening to the recording. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy for someone else to do the chapter.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Hi Michele, this looks interesting! May I start with one chapter and perhaps claim another later? I could read #2, or if you have another one you'd like me to start with (I haven't looked over the whole book yet) I'd be happy to read it.
Thanks a bunch!
Scotty
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for your sincerity, Henrieke. It is much appreciated.

Your reasoning is sound to start at the beginning as far as reading a book is concerned, but people choose chapters all over the place to record, for who knows what reason, I suspect including length, which does run the risk of the final product of a chapter book sounding a bit disjointed. Some projects have pronunciation guides for proper names, some don't. It is hoped that the reader will consider themselves part of a team, and familiarize themselves with the plot first, at least the Wiki page, but that isn't always available. To bypass this extra homework, some readers prefer taking on sections of plotless books with stand-alone sections, such as Collections of Letters, Essays, Speeches, Short Stories, Poems, plus History, Biographies, etc. There are plenty of those, which is one thing that LV excels at producing.

I'm sure you'll do fine with chapter books that have unfolding stories, and with long files that can take hours to edit, but yes, I recommend you get some practice under your belt first.

You are right, Stowe is a great story teller and magnificent writer, and I love reading her. But she can be tough to enunciate smoothly (what with her long convoluted sentences and parenthetical remarks within parenthetical remarks). No sense toiling. Have fun first. Ease in. There is plenty of time, as this project is large and will take awhile. I look forward to you joining in.
msfry

Post by msfry »

iBeScotty wrote: May 11th, 2019, 3:17 pm Hi Michele, this looks interesting! May I start with one chapter and perhaps claim another later? I could read #2, or if you have another one you'd like me to start with (I haven't looked over the whole book yet) I'd be happy to read it.
Thanks a bunch!
Hi Scotty, yes indeed thanks for joining in. I recommend you read the Wiki page (linked to in the OP) and choose a good character to cozy up to. There's Gordon, the Gordon Family, also Clayton, and the Clayton family. Also, there is Dred himself, the hero, a rabble rouser. I haven't read the book myself yet nor chosen which sections I want to read.