Chronicles of Narnia

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
CMWendt

Post by CMWendt »

jessieyun0404 wrote: March 6th, 2019, 5:07 am Chronicles of Narnia. My most favorite book of all time. I have been listening to the "Focus on the Family Radio Theater" Audio dramas of the Chronicles of Narnia for over 7 years. Such a memory.

I love the "Focus on the Family Radio Drama" from the Chronicles of Narnia. All the books are my favorite and the three movies as well.
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

CMWendt wrote: April 17th, 2019, 6:13 pm
jessieyun0404 wrote: March 6th, 2019, 5:07 am Chronicles of Narnia. My most favorite book of all time. I have been listening to the "Focus on the Family Radio Theater" Audio dramas of the Chronicles of Narnia for over 7 years. Such a memory.

I love the "Focus on the Family Radio Drama" from the Chronicles of Narnia. All the books are my favorite and the three movies as well.
I was just going to recommend that!
This is what I want. But, probably not...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/673492472/leather-bound-the-chronicles-of-narnia?ref=shop_home_active_11
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

Elizabby wrote: February 24th, 2019, 7:00 pm ...The Last Battle is probably my least favourite of all of the Narnia books....

I was very excited to hear that the rights for Silver Chair have been bought by someone else to make a new movie! Silver Chair is my favourite - though it is quite dark. I was really upset with the treatment of Dawn Treader in the current movie series - not at all true to the book - and I think they wrote themselves into a corner with it too. So I'm glad someone else is going to make Silver Chair!
I totally agree with both of those!

And that’s good news about Silver Chair.
I loved how Narnia and Prince Caspian turned out. I wish the same director had done the third.
April
ZeroToLaunch

Post by ZeroToLaunch »

I really want to work on set if they decide to make the first book into a movie.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

ZeroToLaunch wrote: May 1st, 2019, 8:43 pm I really want to work on set if they decide to make the first book into a movie.
They already made the first book into a movie (the Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe?) But yes, I would also want to be on set if they make another one (we'd make it better, and actually fallow the book).
ZeroToLaunch

Post by ZeroToLaunch »

ej400 wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 7:44 am
ZeroToLaunch wrote: May 1st, 2019, 8:43 pm I really want to work on set if they decide to make the first book into a movie.
They already made the first book into a movie (the Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe?) But yes, I would also want to be on set if they make another one (we'd make it better, and actually fallow the book).
The first book is "The Magician's Nephew" and it follows two protagonists, a boy and girl. It details the creation of Narnia. "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the second -- and most popular -- of the series. I think they started with the second book, because the Pevensie family doesn't show up until then. The first book is actually my favorite and is very whimsical.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Controversial! The issue of “publication order” vs “internal chronology” is a tricky one! I actually think it depends on how much you already know about Narnia.

For a first introduction definitely start with LWW - this is by far a better introduction to Aslan and Narnia, and even contains the phrase “though the children didn’t know any more about Aslan than you do...”

On the other hand, for a reread MN details all the creation stories, including the arrival of Jadis (the White Witch) and the planting of the lamp. However these details can only be appreciated in retrospect.

My favourite book overall is Silver Chair because of the overall theme of the children getting it wrong on following “the signs” and yet choosing Aslan when it really matters, and Aslan makes it right.

My favourite single scene is the un-dragoning of Eustace. He got himself into the situation through laziness and greed, and he submits through pain for Aslan to make him human again.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Interesting. My brother bought the collection of all the books, and it ordered them saying book 1 was LWW. Book 2 was Prince Caspian, book 3 was the Voyage of the Dawn Treader... going by the publication dates.

If you look on The Chronicles of Narnia wikipedia pagehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Narnia, it lists the books in the order of publication date.

Other than that, how does the books series go not going by publication date?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Some people order them chronologically, in the order in which things happen in the story. So it would start with Magician's Nephew and the creation of Narnia. Then LWW, then The Horse and His Boy, since that one took place during the reign of the four Pevensies at Cair Paravel. Then Caspian, Dawn Treader, Silver Chair, and finally Last Battle.
Kozmique

Post by Kozmique »

I definitely have a soft spot for the Narnia books. I got the set as a gift for my 11th birthday and it immediately became one of my most prized possessions. I got the same set for my son when he was born, and have read the entire series out loud to my family more than once. It's hard to choose a favorite, but The Horse and His Boy is probably near the top. My son, now a teenager, still enjoys reading and talking about them. I love them enough that I actually watched the first of the movies that came out even though I rarely go to the movies anymore. I was disappointed, and didn't bother with any of the others.
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

mightyfelix wrote: May 6th, 2019, 10:03 am Some people order them chronologically, in the order in which things happen in the story.
That being said, just as an FYI, Lewis preferred his books read in order of publication. But to each his own!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

thestorygirl wrote: May 11th, 2019, 11:36 am
mightyfelix wrote: May 6th, 2019, 10:03 am Some people order them chronologically, in the order in which things happen in the story.
That being said, just as an FYI, Lewis preferred his books read in order of publication. But to each his own!
Yeah, it's definitely a subject that is kind of decided on a person-by-person basis. For me, I read it in the order of publication-- I don't know why, but it made more sense to me than it probably would've even if I started chronologically.
If asked which way is better, I think I'd say that it's not better per se...just a matter of choice. But I recommend reading in the order of publication, for a first-timer.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~