[Complete] State of the Union Addresses 1885-1888 – m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Can I have section 7?
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
linny

Post by linny »

elsieselwyn wrote: April 4th, 2019, 9:30 pm Can I have section 7?
Sure! I'll get the MW update in the next day or so.
linny

Post by linny »

Realisticspeakers,
My new system arrived! I still need to build it up but I'll start PLing for you at some point this weekend. Thank you for all that you do!
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

HI THERE!

Take your time. Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy it. (sort of :wink: )
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 30th, 2019, 7:13 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/stateoftheunion_1885_1888_01_various_128kb.mp3

[54:59]

...increase our interests in any transisthmian route...
I'm finally making progress! I can officially say I'm not a fan of Windows 10. I still can't get all of my email and I can't print. :roll:

Section 1 is PL OK. :thumbs:
realisticspeakers

linny wrote: April 16th, 2019, 8:47 am I can officially say I'm not a fan of Windows 10. I still can't get all of my email and I can't print. :roll:
I believe you have to give permission to the printer under security settings. I may be wrong. But I am certain that Win10 is difficult to appreciate.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

While I am here, can I have section 4?
linny

Post by linny »

Elsie,
Thank you! MW updated. I'm running a little behind (ok, a lot) but I'm getting back to my normal routine so it won't be too much longer.
linny

Post by linny »

Section 2 is PL OK. :thumbs:

Windows 10 seems to be build with for the social media population in mind. I do not fit into that group. It's actually caused me to avoid my computer but alas I'm so behind on so many things it's time to force myself to figure it out. I will succeed! Someday... :lol:
realisticspeakers

linny wrote: May 8th, 2019, 7:38 am
Section 2 is PL OK. :thumbs:

Windows 10 seems to be build with for the social media population in mind. I do not fit into that group. It's actually caused me to avoid my computer but alas I'm so behind on so many things it's time to force myself to figure it out. I will succeed! Someday... :lol:
Hi!
Was getting worried. If I can be of any help send me a pm. For instance, "don't use Edge at all...take it out of task bar and replace it with IE or another browser".

Thank you for the PL ok.
Disclaimer:
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: May 8th, 2019, 10:59 am
Hi!
Was getting worried. If I can be of any help send me a pm. For instance, "don't use Edge at all...take it out of task bar and replace it with IE or another browser".

Thank you for the PL ok.
Oh goodness, yes! I used Edge for a day or two and then switched back to FireFox. Windows wasn't happy about it but I finally won that battle. There are so many alerts to turn off and until you start working the system you have no idea. "No, if I wanted to look at FaceBook or the News I would. Right now, I'd like to do what I'm trying to do. Please go away." (Granted I'm not nearly as nice about it when it's happening) These things are worse than that little annoying paperclip they had years ago. :roll:

Today is my monthly meeting day. 300 miles of round trip driving and then I stop to have dinner with my father so I can't PL for you today but I'm back for real this time. You should get your final PL notes tomorrow and Saturday I should be entirely caught up. :clap:
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:32 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/stateoftheunion_1885_1888_03_various_128kb.mp3

[56:04]

Really, there hasn't been this much pain since Madison. Apologies.
You did a truly wonderful job with this address. Thank you. It took me a little more than an month to get it PLed and I am sorry for that.

19:21 word change - The agent who perfunctorily performs his duty and slothfully neglects all opportunity to advance their moral and physical improvement and fails to inspire them with a desire for better things will accomplish nothing in the direction of their civilization, while he who feels the burden of an important trust and has an interest in his work will, by consistent example, firm yet considerate treatment, and well-directed aid and encouragement, constantly lead those under his charge toward the light of their enfranchisement.
I hear considerable. What do you think? Worth the change?

19:23 repeat (second version is correct) - They should be also charged with the duty of ascertaining the Indians who might properly be furnished with implements of agriculture, and of what kind; in what cases the support of the Government should be withdrawn; where the present plan of distributing Indian supplies should be changed; where schools may be established and where discontinued; the conduct, methods, and fitness of agents in charge of reservations; the extent to which such reservations are occupied or intruded upon by unauthorized persons, and generally all matters related to the welfare and improvement of the Indian.
realisticspeakers

linny wrote: May 10th, 2019, 9:39 am 19:21 word change -
firm yet considerate treatment...
I hear considerable.
What do you think? Worth the change?
way too much effort, same root, lazy reader
linny wrote: May 10th, 2019, 9:39 am 23:10 repeat (second version is correct) -
...in what cases the support of the Government should be withdrawn;...
fixed!

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/stateoftheunion_1885_1888_03_various_128kb.mp3
[56:00]
Disclaimer:
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Elsie,
I'm finally caught up. Here are your PL notes. Please ask if you have any questions. I'm back online daily.

2:37 missing text - On the 30th day of June, 1885, the excess of revenues over public expenditures, after complying with the annual requirement of the sinking-fund act, was $17,859,735.84; during the year ended June 30, 1886, such excess amounted to $49,405,545.20, and during the year ended June 30, 1887, it reached the sum of $55,567,849.54.

12:56 missing text - But this existence should not mean a condition which, without regard to the public welfare or a national exigency, must always insure the realization of immense profits instead of moderately profitable returns.

28:26 – word change - It would be especially agreeable to follow this course at the present time and to call attention to the valuable accomplishments of these Departments during the last fiscal year; but I am so much impressed with the paramount importance of the subject to which this communication has thus far been devoted that I shall forego the addition of any other topic, and only urge upon your immediate consideration the "state of the Union" as shown in the present condition of our Treasury and our general fiscal situation, upon which every element of our safety and prosperity depends.
I hear physical

Example but no changes needed. I noticed you sometimes have a tendency to skip the word 'thousand' when reading larger numbers. Example 2 million,623 thousand,089. I feel it's easier to understand the number with the inclusion. Again, no corrections needed for this recording. I mention only as something to keep an eye on in future readings.

The volume is too low at 84.3dB. We allow for 86-92dB with and aim at 89dB. Please amplify. Your recording has some high points so it may not be a single process to accomplish this. If you use Audacity, here is a video which may be of assistance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKYYj6HMZU

Once you amplify you may need to noise clean a little bit.

Again, please ask if you have any questions.