Comics.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Yeah, me and my ideas...

I'm just wondering if there is any place at LibriVox for the reading of old comics. Many of them are quite good, but there is a visual element that is often, most often, essential to their comprehension.

Mayor LaGuardia did a wonderful job in presenting comic strips to children via radio when the delivery folks were on strike. That would give you an idea of what I'm getting out.

Is this just too far out for LibriVox?

My reason for asking is that I hope to recruit some new voices here locally, but I don't think they will necessarily have time to produce plays in full. And the comic strips allow for a certain 'hammy' (sp?) acting that would be easy to adopt straight away.

The visual descriptions---that kind of narration---would be new, but I would include in anything done the clear message that all of the recording is released from copyright and is now in the public domain.

What think you all?

Ideally I would work from old radio play scripts, but they are simply not old enough, for the most part. I think that recordings are not protected by copyright for as long as literature, but I think that applies only to the re-playing of recordings and not the manipulation of their artistic content.
Last edited by KevinS on May 10th, 2019, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Go ahead and say it! "What is WITH this guy?"
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Interesting idea. :hmm: The radio scripts, if you could find them and they were out of copyright, would certainly be best, and would be lots of fun, too! As far as visual descriptions of comic strips, I'm pretty sure that would be a no-go. When illustrations appear in the books we narrate, we simply skip over them, and any caption that may appear with them. We never attempt to describe them. I won't speak for the admin team, but if I had to guess, I don't expect that an exception would be allowed for comic strips. It's hard to convert a visual medium like that into an auditory form, especially since we're extremely careful not to change the content in any way by adding or subtracting from it.

As far as your "hammy" friends, you can always point them to the Drama forum here. We generally have several plays and dramatic readings going on at any given time, and they can pop in and just choose a character to voice. All that they'd have to do is to record their character's lines and submit them. (And then check back to make sure that nothing was missing, and correct it if so.) Then the coordinator of that project will take it from there. If your friends are short on time, they could choose a character who only has a few lines to voice, or if they want a bit more, they could choose one of the more prominent roles.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: May 10th, 2019, 11:45 am As far as your "hammy" friends, you can always point them to the Drama forum here. We generally have several plays and dramatic readings going on at any given time, and they can pop in and just choose a character to voice. All that they'd have to do is to record their character's lines and submit them. (And then check back to make sure that nothing was missing, and correct it if so.) Then the coordinator of that project will take it from there. If your friends are short on time, they could choose a character who only has a few lines to voice, or if they want a bit more, they could choose one of the more prominent roles.
All good suggestions. Thank you!
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

KevinS wrote: May 10th, 2019, 10:46 am Go ahead and say it! "What is WITH this guy?"
What is WITH this guy?
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: May 10th, 2019, 12:21 pm
KevinS wrote: May 10th, 2019, 10:46 am Go ahead and say it! "What is WITH this guy?"
What is WITH this guy?
Hahahahah!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

When illustrations appear in the books we narrate, we simply skip over them, and any caption that may appear with them. We never attempt to describe them.
Yes, we do sometimes, if it's intrinsic to the text. Case in point: Flatland. :) (Which, BTW, I recommend. I know Ruth Golding's solo is wonderful; I think someone else recently or is currently doing version 2; haven't heard that one yet.)

I don't know what I think of the comic idea. It would be a LOT of improvisation in the descriptions. Would it flow well? Would it really work as an audiobook?

The copyright issues would be paramount, though. You'd have to find reputable, clearly-PD sources, which might be hard to do.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: May 10th, 2019, 12:51 pm
When illustrations appear in the books we narrate, we simply skip over them, and any caption that may appear with them. We never attempt to describe them.
Yes, we do sometimes, if it's intrinsic to the text. Case in point: Flatland. :) (Which, BTW, I recommend. I know Ruth Golding's solo is wonderful; I think someone else recently or is currently doing version 2; haven't heard that one yet.)
I stand corrected. :)