COMPLETE [Grp Language] An Essay Concerning Human Understanding Book III Of Words by John Locke-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Cboswell7498

Post by Cboswell7498 »

soupy wrote: May 8th, 2019, 10:07 am Hi Cboswell7498 :D
Hi, I'm a new reader. I am waiting on the okay for the test recording I've submitted, but I would love to read a section of this book. I am a philosophy major and find John Locke's work very interesting. I think since Im new Id like to start with section 9. From there Id be willing to take other sections as well to help complete the book. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew at once and would like to get my feet wet with a shorter selection. I'll let yo know when I get the official Okay.

Here's my test if anyone here needs to hear it. Not sure if its necessary to post here, I'm just covering my bases.
Thanks for your interest in the philosophy of John Locke. Volunteers have read many philosophical texts. I am planning on doing Locke's 4th book after this one is completed.

I listened to your test recording of:

People were pleased to find that Peter Piper had picked a couple pages for fable fans at LibriVox. Thankful that this was Thursday the thirtieth, the Piper anticipated forum fun and a wonderful weekend of recording! This is a test by YOURNAME. Had it been an actual LibriVox contribution, it would have been a Public Domain text, previously published and probably interesting." (Leave the mic running for 3-5 seconds at the end, where you don't say anything.)

I found several things to talk about.

First- You recorded it in stereo instead of mono.
Second - you read Thursday the thirteenth for Thursday the thirtieth
Three - There was background noise that can be cleaned up.
Four - the volume was a little low at 87.5 - we like it at 89

Please complete the test again and upload it to this project and I will check it again.

This link will take you to a link of recording helps
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

I will put you in for section 9 Chapter VII Of Particles.
Your profile name is Cboswell7498 - let me know what display name you would like and if you would like to add a website that you own and I'll list you in the magic window.

Craih
Okay, I have taken all of your suggestions into consideration and believe that my new recording will meet the criteria. please let me know if there are any other issues you'd like me to address.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_cboswell7498.mp3

Best
Chris
soupy

Post by soupy »

You're all set Chris :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Cboswell7498

Post by Cboswell7498 »

I've completed section 9. Let me know if I need to do anything else with it. Thanks so much for the opportunity to contribute my voice to this project.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/section9essayconcerninghumanunderstanding.mp3

-Chris
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Chris :D

Your voice sounds good.

Sarah, our dedicated proof listener, will be along to listen.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Cboswell7498

Post by Cboswell7498 »

soupy wrote: May 8th, 2019, 7:46 pm Thanks Chris :D

Your voice sounds good.

Sarah, our dedicated proof listener, will be along to listen.

Craig
Thank you!
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Cboswell7498 wrote: May 8th, 2019, 7:35 pm I've completed section 9. Let me know if I need to do anything else with it. Thanks so much for the opportunity to contribute my voice to this project.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/section9essayconcerninghumanunderstanding.mp3

-Chris
Hey Chris,

As I said before your voice is crystal clear. I really enjoyed your narration. I also hope you will claim more sections in this project (as well as others).

Here are my PL notes:

Your file name is wrong. Could you please change it to humanunderstandingvol3_09_locke_128kb.mp3?
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
humanunderstandingvol3_##_locke_128kb.mp3(all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. humanunderstandingvol3_01_locke_128kb.mp3)
When you upload a file, please include the track length. For example:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/section9essayconcerninghumanunderstanding.mp3 (8:14)

Your volume is 96.2 dB and our target range is (86–92 dB). Could you please de-amplify it (-6.9dB)? We try to aim for 89dB.

Silence.
Could you please cut some silence from the beginning and the end of the recording?
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
Finally, Could you please double check this?

In 4. They are all marks of some action or intimation of the mind.
@5:01.5
"and therefore it is not to be wondered that most of these particles."
Wondered isn't clear.

Thanks! :D
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Cboswell7498

Post by Cboswell7498 »

SaraHale wrote: May 8th, 2019, 8:49 pm
Cboswell7498 wrote: May 8th, 2019, 7:35 pm I've completed section 9. Let me know if I need to do anything else with it. Thanks so much for the opportunity to contribute my voice to this project.

-Chris
Hey Chris,

As I said before your voice is crystal clear. I really enjoyed your narration. I also hope you will claim more sections in this project (as well as others).

Here are my PL notes:

Your file name is wrong. Could you please change it to humanunderstandingvol3_09_locke_128kb.mp3?
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
humanunderstandingvol3_##_locke_128kb.mp3(all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. humanunderstandingvol3_01_locke_128kb.mp3)
When you upload a file, please include the track length. For example:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/section9essayconcerninghumanunderstanding.mp3 (8:14)

Your volume is 96.2 dB and our target range is (86–92 dB). Could you please de-amplify it (-6.9dB)? We try to aim for 89dB.

Silence.
Could you please cut some silence from the beginning and the end of the recording?
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
Finally, Could you please double check this?

In 4. They are all marks of some action or intimation of the mind.
@5:01.5
"and therefore it is not to be wondered that most of these particles."
Wondered isn't clear.

Thanks! :D
Okay, I'll make the edits and re-submit, hopefully when I get home. I am heading out of town, so it might have to wait until early next week since I am heading out of town for a few days. Thanks for the feedback.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Cboswell7498 wrote: May 9th, 2019, 7:52 am Okay, I'll make the edits and re-submit, hopefully when I get home. I am heading out of town, so it might have to wait until early next week since I am heading out of town for a few days. Thanks for the feedback.
You're welcome. Okay, have a safe trip! :D
Cboswell7498

Post by Cboswell7498 »

Okay, I got a chance to sit down tonight and do some editing. I think I've covered all the issues that were pointed out with my last upload. the only thing I'm slightly concerned about, is that I'm not sure if I lowered the decibels properly, but I have dropped the level on the master volume control about 6.9 dB, so hopefully that will get me to what we were aiming for. if all is good with this version of the recording I'll read through another open section and decide which I'd like to choose to read next.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/humanunderstandingvol3_09_locke_128kb.mp3
(8:09)

Thanks
Chris
Last edited by Cboswell7498 on May 12th, 2019, 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Chris :D

Sarah will check things out and get back to you.

Let me know what section(s) you want and I'll put you down. No need to await results.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Cboswell7498

Post by Cboswell7498 »

soupy wrote: May 11th, 2019, 6:43 pm Thanks Chris :D

Sarah will check things out and get back to you.

Let me know what section(s) you want and I'll put you down. No need to await results.

Craig
Sounds good!
I’ll take on section 13 (chapter X) if it’s still available.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Great.

Section 13 is yours Chris :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
abestone

Post by abestone »

Wait I thought I had section 13? And moreover here it is:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/humanunderstandingvol3_13_locke_128kb.mp3 (26:37)

--
Abe
Abe
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Chris,

I checked Section 9 and it looks good. One small note for next time. The Silence at the end of the recording should be 5 seconds. With this section, it's about 3 seconds only.

P.S. Craig, I've updated the MW with the correct file.
soupy

Post by soupy »

P.S. Craig, I've updated the MW with the correct file.
Thanks Sarah :thumbs:

I guess I should have done that.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge