Librivox recordings "to buy" on itunes

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
DavidSweeneyBear

Post by DavidSweeneyBear »

Hi all, just a general observation: browsing the itunes store for audiobooks, i find librivox recordings on sale for 99c, i wonder how this works? who's intellectual property is a librivox recording, since it's in the public domain... does this mean anyone can publish and distribute it? what about the narrator - can a "publisher" put a recording on itunes or audible without the narrator's consent?

Any comments or clarification would be most appreciated, cheers. :)
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

DavidSweeneyBear wrote: May 8th, 2019, 5:52 am does this mean anyone can publish and distribute it?
DavidSweeneyBear wrote: May 8th, 2019, 5:52 am can a "publisher" put a recording on itunes or audible without the narrator's consent?
Yes, and yes. If you use the search with "audible" you might find some threads about this topic. We release our recordings into public domain which means, everyone can legally alter them, sell them, distribute them for free etc.
Although some readers feel it morally questionable to sell PD recordings (sometimes even under a different name!) there is about nothing we can do except telling people that they get this recording for free at LibriVox.
DavidSweeneyBear

Post by DavidSweeneyBear »

Thanks Monika... i see! Whilst I wouldn't personally pay for a public domain work available elsewhere for free maybe some people do! :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

is the 99c for the app? If you use the app (which is not ours), you can get the LV catalogue for free. I understand iTunes will not distribute the app unless there is a charge.

Anne
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

annise wrote: May 8th, 2019, 6:25 am ... I understand iTunes will not distribute the app unless there is a charge.
I am not sure this is correct. I have downloaded and installed apps on an iPhone that were free of charge.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

tovarisch wrote: May 8th, 2019, 12:04 pm
annise wrote: May 8th, 2019, 6:25 am ... I understand iTunes will not distribute the app unless there is a charge.
I am not sure this is correct. I have downloaded and installed apps on an iPhone that were free of charge.
The apps from the ODNI are certainly free of charge. (Wink.)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

thinking about it, it was a maker of an android app that told me that :D. And it was several years ago before apps were everywhere.

Anne