Hiya Newbie Proofer Here!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Savana

Post by Savana »

Hi Everyone! :D

I've been putting this off for a little while, but finally, am sitting down to dedicate myself to volunteer audiobook proofing! Woohoo!

I'm an ESL teacher, so correcting pronunciation and active listening are skills I use on a daily basis! I can't wait to put them to use in another meaningful way!

Cheers!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

God bless you! And welcome!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Savana and welcome to the forum.

Yay, a new Prooflistener. :D We always need them, they are a very big part in the completion process of any project. Just have a look around for projects that have a tilde ~ in front of the title, that's a marker that this project doesn't have a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) yet.

A quick check gave me already a few results:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74868
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=74637
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73530
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73555
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=72863

there are still others if these are not to your liking :)

So if you find a project you want to help out in, please post in that thread. You can either apply as DPL, which means you will dedicate yourself to proofing all the sections of the project, or if you don't have time enough you can say you only help out proofing one or two sections that are ready to PL. Your choice.

Maybe you want to read these pages first, there are some tips and tricks for what to look out for in PLing:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=ProofListening_tips_and_quiz

Very often the DPL will also check the technical settings of the files, so that they are all LV standard. For that we have the Checker program: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker . If for some reason you are unable to check technical things, simply make a mention in the thread and the MC will handle that part of the job and you can concentrate on the prooflistening.
I'm an ESL teacher, so correcting pronunciation and active listening are skills I use on a daily basis!
only one word of caution here: we don't give unsolicited criticism beyond correcting the obvious textual errors or noises or stumbles etc. And usually we don't correct pronunciation, unless the reader specifically asks for this level of correction. There are so many accents around these days, especially in a language like English, that some pronunciations may be ok for some regions. Unless it's really distorting the meaning of the sentence, like for example "tear" (crying) and "tear" (ripping apart), in such cases of course you can mention that the word in question is obviously wrongly pronounced.

In any case, glad to have you around. And I hope you have fun here and will get to know a lot of interesting books. :9:

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
larobie

Post by larobie »

Hello Savana,

Are you still doing this? I'd like to discuss a possible opportunity with you. I am an audiobook narrator and would like to discuss your fees and availability.

Thank you,
Larry