[COMPLETE] Insomnia Collection Volume 4 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Insomnia Collection Vol. 004.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/insomnia-collection-vol-004-by-various/

Recordings with the avowed aim of boring our audience to snores.

It has been 4 years since the last collection! Can you believe it? It's about time for a new one!
Obviously, soporific dullness is in the ear of the listener, and what's Tedium Incarnate to one person will be another person's Passion and Delight. Thus NO INSULT IS INTENDED in the choice of material here. Lists, tables, and repetitive material are especially appropriate. You may NOT nominate other Librivoxers' existing chapters for inclusion. However, should you wish to read your own version of something you've found particularly insipid, please feel free.
  1. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording! Post here or PM me if you have any questions.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    You don't need to announce what you're reading, unless you're doubtful it will be boring enough, or if you are not ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN of its public domain status. Please post here if you want to confirm that, or if you'd like to offer or receive suggestions for something to work on, or need help with dividing a longer document.
  3. What are the requirements for the reading?
    Readings should last between 30-70 minutes. (Longer than that -- please divide it into two parts. Shorter readings are unlikely to give listeners enough time to be relaxed.) Please read in a Calm and Placid manner. If you find your chosen topic too exciting, and that affects your serene speed or tranquil tone, please consider donating your recording to another Collection. Readings may be contributed in ANY LANGUAGE but the text must be potentially dull to other speakers of that language.
  4. Where do I find texts?
    There's a list in the next post of some I thought suitable, but you're welcome to choose any text that's in the Public Domain. If in doubt, please get it checked by posting here FIRST (particularly if you are reading from print and not an online source.) You are welcome to pick a couple of chapters of a book, or a particularly slow section from a scientific paper, or divide the material in another way you find appropriate. Please do NOT change the content itself or the order of what has been written. This is probably the only opportunity that many utterly banal texts will ever have to be recorded by us, so choose wisely. CLICK HERE to see what was included in volume 1. CLICK HERE to see what was included in volume 2. CLICK HERE to see what was included in volume 3.
  5. Is there a deadline?
    No, this will be catalogued when it reaches 20 entries, or readers' interest is lost for more than 3 months consecutively, whichever comes first.
  • BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

• DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Chapter/Section/Part] of [Book title]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "[Title], by [Author]. [Text]"
      If you need help phrasing your disclaimer appropriately, please post here!

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Title], by [Author]."
      If you wish, say any or all of:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address, the date.]"

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording.

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    • 128 kbps MP3
    • ins004_titleinoneword_authorsurname_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case)
      (eg. ins004_cabbagesandcauliflowers_smith_128kb.mp3)
  • SUBMIT your recording:
    Please upload your finished recording using the LibriVox uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please copy to post in this thread):
    http://librivox.org/login/uploader
    If you have trouble reading the image above, please send a private message to any admin
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG.
    *If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  • POST the following information in this thread:
    • • The link you copied from the uploader to your file
      • Name of your story
      • Author (birth year - death year)
      • Translator if applicable (birth year - death year)
      • Source from which you read (e.g. Gutenberg etext url)
      • Length in minutes:seconds of your file
      • If this is your first Librivox recording, I will also need your name as you would like it to appear on the catalogue page and the URL of your homepage if you have one and would like it linked to your name on the catalogue page.

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

These suggestions are carried over from the previous Insomnia Collection threads. I'll try to come up with some new suggestions also.

Texts on Gutenberg.org:

Copyright Law of the United States of America: contained in Title 17 of the United States Code.
Current law: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 7, Slice 3

U.S. Copyright Renewals, 1951 July - December (there are a ton of these, if you search under "copyright renewals")

Wholesale Price List of Newspapers and Periodicals, by D. D. Cottrell's Subscription Agency (Season 1905). - easiest view is plain text rather than html

The New England Historical & Genealogical Register, Vol. 1, No. 3

A Catechism of Familiar Things; Their History, and the Events Which Led to Their Discovery With a Short Explanation of Some of the Principal Natural Phenomena (chapters 2-4 recorded; other chapters available)

The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Book 3 Chapter 2, "A Bird's Eye View of Paris" (Plain text version is better; html has character errors in the French)

Census Statistics of the Negro by Walter F. Willcox (not tables, but paragraphs of text about statistics)

Texts on Archive.org: (These are some I came up with, especially when searching for "directory". There should be plenty of other material on Archive as well.)

A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles: Founded Mainly on the Materials Collected by the Philological Society (1900)

Directory of the Dominion Methodist Church (Ottawa, Ont.), 1877

Directory of Grinnell College, 1922

Aberdeen (Scotland) Post Office Directory, 1869-1870

The Library of Congress area of Archive.org has a lot of rosters and lists. Browse here: https://archive.org/details/library_of_congress

Telephone Directories:

San Francisco 1905 https://archive.org/details/telephonedirecto1906paci

Abstract of the Massachusetts School Returns - nothing but data

"I found these at Project Gutenberg by searching under various terms such as 'history', 'lecture', 'essays', 'analysis' etc. However, there are likely to be all kinds of gems with quite interesting names, which are actually akin to ditchwater in practice, so feel free to do whatever you like!"
Texts on Project Gutenberg (search for them by title key word):
  • A System of Instruction in the Practical Use of the Blowpipe, Being A Graduated Course Of Analysis For The Use Of Students And All Those Engaged In The Examination Of Metallic Combinations
  • Spalding's Baseball Guide and Official League Book for 1889
  • A Manual of Analysis of All the Structural Factors and Designs Employed in Musical Composition
  • The Natural History of Wiltshire
  • Elements of Civil Government
  • Greek in a Nutshell
  • Fires and Firemen: from the Eclectic Magazine of Foreign Literature, Science and Art, Vol XXXV No. 1, May 1855
  • The formation of vegetable mould through the action of worms, with observations
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ha! I ran across some great candidates for this the other day, and was thinking of asking you if we might have another collection soon. I'll dust those off and bore you silly. :wink:
~ Larry
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm reading the Copper entry from the Encyclopaedia Brittanica, with one or more subsequent entries if Copper is not long enough.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds good! I'm up for the challenge. Bore me!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Would reading the 'boring' chapters of "Moby Dick" not be in the spirit of things here?

EDIT: This would be the only way I will be able to force myself to get the book finished.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yep, that would work! 8-)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: April 27th, 2019, 8:31 am Yep, that would work! 8-)
I may give it a try after I finish my last section of the Home Rule project. I'll have to look to see if the vocabulary of whale parts and the like is too much for me.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Readers Wanted!

Book 3, Chapter 2 of the Hunchback of Notre Dame would make a good piece, IMHO. "A Bird's-eye View of Paris" describes the layout of Paris - its principal bridges, neighborhoods, character of the buildings in each neighborhood. And I think it might have talked about the history of the city's borders, how it grew out from its center. It almost put me to sleep while listening to it (although the reader did an excellent job with it). 9500 words, or about an hour of recording. The PG html version has a lot of character errors in the French, on my computer anyway. The plain text version looks correct. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2610
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins004_geographicproceedings_unknown_128kb.mp3

Time is 4.24
Proceedings of the National Geographic Society
Session 1896-97
National Geographic Magazine May 1897
Author unknown
archive.org/details/nationalgeograph81897/nati/page159

Short and boring....

BettyB
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm sorry, Betty - the recordings for this project need to be between 30 and 70 minutes, not shorter. We need nice, long recordings to give people time to fall asleep. :)

Perhaps you could rename the file and submit it to the Short Nonfiction Collection?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

This is part of the entry for Copper in the Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition. I wasn't sure how to handle the title, author, and filename; I'm happy to change them if they need it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins004_copper_unknown_128kb.mp3

(1.09.57) ... just scraped under the boundary!

You are falling into a deep sleep ...

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

And so it begins...

Thanks, Peter! I'm not sure how to handle the author, either. I guess we'll figure it out at some point. :)

(And technically, sections can be 72 or 74 minutes - can't remember which - to fit on all audio CDs.) ;)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Oh I'm so excited there will be another insomnia collection! I often use Librivox recordings to fall asleep (Federalist Papers has been a years long project) but when I'm having high anxiety, the insomnia collections are the big guns! Those town directories work every time!

Very excited at the idea of contributing to one. Will have to watch for a good piece to use!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Copper:

29:44 - throat clearing "constitute the principal expense of the method. *clear* The other items of cost..."

38:33 - repeat: "in the same solvent by J... by James Douglas and..."

I think we're fine sticking with "Unknown" as the author in the file name. It'll show up as being by "Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th Ed." in the catalog; that's good enough. :)