[COMPLETE] Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Presidential Election - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ktzn

Post by ktzn »

Ciufi wrote: April 25th, 2019, 2:01 pm I’ll take 17, then. Thanks!
It's yours! Thanks! And lethargilistic, 18 is yours!
Last edited by ktzn on April 25th, 2019, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_______
Kathy
ktzn

Post by ktzn »

JenniferFour wrote: April 25th, 2019, 2:06 pm I just bought for $0 the 19 hour version on Audible. It’s there. I am an Audible member so maybe that is why I can see and get it while others can’t? In any event, because I do have it, if anyone wants to know how those narrators pronounced something, just ask and I will try to help out.
I'm not an Audible member, so that seems logical. I'm sure someone will take you up on your kind offer. Thanks Jennifer.
_______
Kathy
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello, all!
I've discovered how we can all get a free version of the audio report:
https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Mueller-Report-Audiobook/B07PXN468K

If, for some reason, that does not open correctly, please see the following article and click the "released" link there:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/04/23/the-behind-the-scenes-scramble-to-record-audibles-mueller-report-audiobook/?fbclid=IwAR3_3AtmjU7dwwkSZxPAWv7q2O20mNi-v1iOh_8dcq8RXgJBJLzK5zygafw

I hope that will be helpful!

Best,
~Angelique
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

I have a thought about the legal cites. The direction is:

"18 USC §12 (a)" read as "Title 18 United States Code Section 12 Subsection A"

Would it be possible to abbreviate that, after it has been read in long form at least once per section, to "18 USC Section 12 subsection A"? That is accurate and would flow a lot better.

In the same vein, CFR could be read as "Code of Federal Regulations" the first time in a section and then shortened to CFR after that.
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
ktzn

Post by ktzn »

JenniferFour wrote: April 28th, 2019, 8:04 am I have a thought about the legal cites. The direction is:

Would it be possible to abbreviate that, after it has been read in long form at least once per section to "18 USC Section 12 subsection A"? That is accurate and would flow a lot better.

In the same vein, CFR could be read as "Code of Federal Regulations" the first time in a section and then shortened to CFR after that.
That's a good idea. Sam, what say you?
_______
Kathy
amelita

Post by amelita »

FWIW, I got the Audible version for free by signing up for a trial then cancelling my membership.

I plan to use it as one of my references for pronunciations, and I'll try to get my section done quickly (the glossary for Vol. II) since it could be helpful for other readers.

BTW, I found a helpful discussion on how to read legal citations aloud here:
How to pronounce court cases? - law civics us | Ask MetaFilter
https://ask.metafilter.com/206286/How-to-pronounce-court-cases

I was surprised not to find a YouTube video on the subject, frankly. Anybody have other resources around that challenge?
ktzn

Post by ktzn »

ktzn wrote: April 28th, 2019, 8:06 am
JenniferFour wrote: April 28th, 2019, 8:04 am I have a thought about the legal cites. The direction is:

Would it be possible to abbreviate that, after it has been read in long form at least once per section to "18 USC Section 12 subsection A"? That is accurate and would flow a lot better.

That's a good idea. Sam, what say you?
Since Sam hasn't chimed in, I'm going to make an executive decision and OK this. He'll need to add it to the rules I don't have access to edit that page.

My caveat for folks is that if they have already recorded their sections with chapter and verse all the time, every time, please do not feel it necessary to go back and rerecord and swap.
_______
Kathy
ktzn

Post by ktzn »

amelita wrote: April 28th, 2019, 12:42 pm FWIW, I got the Audible version for free by signing up for a trial then cancelling my membership.

I plan to use it as one of my references for pronunciations, and I'll try to get my section done quickly (the glossary for Vol. II) since it could be helpful for other readers.

BTW, I found a helpful discussion on how to read legal citations aloud here:
How to pronounce court cases? - law civics us | Ask MetaFilter
https://ask.metafilter.com/206286/How-to-pronounce-court-cases

I was surprised not to find a YouTube video on the subject, frankly. Anybody have other resources around that challenge?
Thanks Amelita. You're awesome.
_______
Kathy
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello.
I have checked with an attorney friend as well as a niece who is a paralegal.
They indicate that:
"18 USC §12 (a)" should be read as "United States Code Title 18 Section 12" and that "Subsection A" may be dropped during narrations such as this, (providing just the core elements of the case, so that most interested readers may still find the citation in academic resources) for the purposes of getting to the crux of the information.

This is not to be contrary, but rather to provide the best information I've been able to find.

My section 10 (here) or Section 5 of the report is almost complete, using the above form.

Best of reading to all!
~Angelique
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

I am an attorney and know that when I use a pinpoint cite in a written document I do it for a reason and would not like to see/hear only the top level cite used.

That said - agree that the word section or subsection is rarely used in speaking. One might say 18 USC 12 sub a because there might be an 18 USC 12a - which is different from 18 USC 12 subsection a, so I would err on the side of saying subsection. However, you don’t keep repeating (sub-sub etc). So, at most for a multiparty drill down, I would say 18 USC section 12 subsection a-3-iii-(4).

As an aside, USC I would say as the letters U-S-C or as U-S Code. For this purpose I think consistency and brevity is better and would default to just the letters USC.
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

My reading will stand as is.
~Angelique
amelita

Post by amelita »

Hi! I got my Russian-born housemate to look at the glossary and pronounce most of the Russian/Ukrainian/Georgian surnames for reference. I recorded it and posted the file here: https://www16.zippyshare.com/v/1sa4sqQn/file.html

NB: Have your Ad Blocker on before you visit that site! I hate the advert assault but I like that it lets you both stream to listen and to download. If anyone has a better site for that (I maxed out my SoundCloud already) please LMK

Tx
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
amelita

Post by amelita »

Thanks, TriciaG for the tip. This time I uploaded to that site. Unfortunately the player doesn't seem to work for me.

Anyway, I did a rough run through of all the names in Appendix B as a kind of warm up, and in case it helps someone out. It's here: http://ge.tt/1PVcaqv2

I'm glad I did this if only to test my setup and get back in the swing of recording and editing (it's been a minute). Sorry my voice is a bit tired and dry sounding.
ljarrow

Post by ljarrow »

Hey, Kathy or anyone,

I have a question regarding the intro text about what we say for section. Do you mean the section title Mueller has given or the Librivox section?

example:
"Section [K] of Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Presidential Election. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox
recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

or

"Section [19] of Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Presidential Election. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox
recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before

Lynne