COMPLETE [History] The Byzantine Empire by Edward A. Foord-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

The Byzantine Empire: The Rearguard of European Civilisation by Edward Foord ( - 0).
A concise and comprehensive guide to the Byzantine empire from Constantine to its dissolution. Foord explores in an accessible manner why it was important to history, the significance of noteworthy events, and how it eventually fell. While sometimes describing the experience of the everyday people, he mainly focuses on the wars and policies of Byzantine emperors. (Summary by Elsie Selwyn)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-byzantine-empire-by-edward-foord/

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/byzantineempire00foor/page/n10
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
    Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Byzantine Empire. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Byzantine Empire: The Rearguard of European Civilisation, by Edward Foord. [Section number and title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section number]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Byzantine Empire: The Rearguard of European Civilisation by Edward Foord. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
    Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    byzantineempire_##_foord_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. byzantineempire_01_foord_128kb.mp3)
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Elizabby on July 1st, 2019, 6:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.
DaveWindell

Post by DaveWindell »

Dear Elizabby,
Thanks for setting this project up! :clap: As mikebotez was first to say he wanted in, I'll wait for him to choose his preferences before I claim any sections.
Dave
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Beth,

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Please let me set up the MW before claiming! This book is going to require some counting and calculating, as I suspect some or all of the chapters will need to be split.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Ok, the Magic Window is set up and we are ready for claims!

EDIT: I decided to split some of the chapters after all.
Last edited by Elizabby on April 26th, 2019, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Beth

Do you mean for part 2 of the great conquerors to be at 20 rather than 14?

MaryAnn
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I think you might have been looking at the MW as I was rearranging it. I'm done now.

I decided to split some of the chapters after all, as this is quite heavy text. The longest unspllt chapter I'll read myself, as I know I can get it under an hour - and it was pretty interesting stuff!

I think I'll DPL this book myself after all.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Beth. I've put you in as DPL, and we will move over to readers wanted!
MaryAnn
hyrulehistorical

Post by hyrulehistorical »

Hello!

I would be interested in taking sections 1 and 2. One question: since I've heard it both ways, is there a preference in how to pronounce "Byzantine?" I usually go with "BIH-zantine," but have no issues with "BYE-zantine."

Thanks!
~E. Sharp
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

hyrulehistorical wrote: April 27th, 2019, 10:30 am Hello!

I would be interested in taking sections 1 and 2. One question: since I've heard it both ways, is there a preference in how to pronounce "Byzantine?" I usually go with "BIH-zantine," but have no issues with "BYE-zantine."
I use the first pronunciation myself, but I don't think there is a standard version. I'm happy for you to take both sections 1 and 2, I'll put you in the MW now.
MajorHistory

Post by MajorHistory »

Please book me from pages 5 through 11.

Thanks,

Mike
COGITO ! , (cough... volunteering) ERGO SUM !, :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Mike for your interest - but I’m not exactly sure which bits you are interested in reading?

Pages 5-11 are probably part of the introduction?

Section 5 is 11 pages long - is that what you meant?

Sections 5-11 would be a pretty big chunk of material, but I’m sure you can handle it!

I’ll put you in for Section 5 to start with - please say “Section 5” rather than chapter at the start of each introduction as the chapters are often split into Part 1 and Part 2 due to density and length.
MajorHistory

Post by MajorHistory »

Hi Elizabby,

I would like all the mentioned sections. History is my love.
I'm about to be done with the Book of Wales, so I can take the lot. If you have no takers I will take all the available sections.

Thank you,

Mike
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hey Mike! Let’s start with chapters 5-12, which also includes a new chapter I added in just yesterday! When you’ve done those you can claim more. Always nice to meet a fellow history enthusiast!
MajorHistory

Post by MajorHistory »

Thank you, I appreciate it. Let's go with the flow.

Mike