[ARABIC] "ألف ليلة و ليلة - الكتاب الأول" - "Arabian Nights - Volume 01" - availle

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
AidaAida

Post by AidaAida »

SOLO [ARABIC] "ألف ليلة و ليلة - الكتاب الأول" - "Arabian Nights - Volume 01" by كاتب غيرمعروف Unknown (700 - 1500).
Aïda boumaza .كتاب "ألف ليلة وليلة" هومجموعة قصص من الهند، إيران،العراق، مصرو بلاد الشام كتبت باللغة العربية. نشرت هذه القصص في العصرالإسلامي الذهبي وتعد من أجمل القصص العالمية
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:425346738$1i
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of SOLO [ عربي - Arabic ] ( ألف ليلة و ليلة ) (Les Mille et Une Nuits) (Arabian Nights). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "SOLO [ عربي - Arabic ] ( ألف ليلة و ليلة ) (Les Mille et Une Nuits) (Arabian Nights), by كاتب غيرمعروف Unknown. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of SOLO [ عربي - Arabic ] ( ألف ليلة و ليلة ) (Les Mille et Une Nuits) (Arabian Nights) by كاتب غيرمعروف Unknown. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of SOLO [ عربي - Arabic ] ( ألف ليلة و ليلة ) (Les Mille et Une Nuits) (Arabian Nights), by كاتب غيرمعروف Unknown. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording. .
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "الفصل ال [رقم] من الكتاب الاول لألف ليلة و ليلة. هذا التسجيل خاص بليبريفوكس، جميع تسجيلات ليبريفوكس في المجال العام، لمزيد من المعلومات او للمشاركة زوروا الموقع ليبريفوكس دوت اورج "
    • مثال لرقم الفصل :
      "الفصل الاول , الثانى , الثالث , وهكذا "
    • If you wish, say: "قام بالتسجيل [اسمك], [مدينتك,, مدونتك , صفحتك]"
    • Say:
      " الكتاب الاول لألف ليلة و ليلة : كاتب غيرمعروف. الفصل ال [رقم]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "نهاية الفصل ال [رقم]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "قام بالتسجيل [اسمك], [مدينتك, مدونتك , صفحتك ]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      " نهاية الكتاب الاول لألف ليلة و ليلة : كاتب غيرمعروف "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename alflaylahwalaylah_##_unknown_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. alflaylahwalaylah_01_unknown_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle - availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by AidaAida on July 8th, 2019, 1:56 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Book lover :D
AidaAida

Post by AidaAida »

هل يوجد في هذا المنتدى من هو محب للغة العربية؟ :oops: Is there anyone on this forum who loves Arabic language? :oops: Y a-t-il quelqu'un sur ce forum qui aime la langue Arabe?

Aïda
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Umm... I think we're all a bit intimidated by this project. :lol:

Part of it is the language - I think we only have a couple of Arabic speakers on the forums these days - but this is just a small issue.

A bigger one is the text you want to read from. In general, we do not accept texts from wikisource, since it is almost always impossible to see when that text was published. Sometimes, wikisource has scans of the book as well, but not in this case? (I can't really check this because it's all Arabic to me :wink:) If you could find a text link that is surely in the public domain (meaning: published in or before 1923) then we can talk more easily.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Aïda,

I can DPL this for you. I speak Arabic.

Hey Ava,
I found the book on Internet Archive, will that be okay? Here's the link: https://archive.org/search.php?query=%D8%A3%D9%84%D9%81%20%D9%84%D9%8A%D9%84%D8%A9%20%D9%88%D9%84%D9%8A%D9%84%D8%A9

Also, here's the complete book's link: https://archive.org/details/123boukrika44_maktoob_20140109_2134/page/n1029

It works better when you read it as PDF. As for the publication date, I can't find it. :(

We can divide the project into 4 parts. As they are 4 books in one.

I hope this is helpful. Have a great day. :D
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for digging Sara!

Unfortunately, it's not good enough - it says there "opensource" which means that this has been uploaded by somebody we know nothing about, just like the text at wikisource. Does google docs say something? Hathitrust?

As you know, we'll have to be very careful and diligent about copyrights.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I think I found the link to the original book in the wikisource text and it leads to here: https://archive.org/details/alflailwalail01bulauoft
If we can believe archive it's published in 1935, which would be the equivalent of the Arabic date 1354. :hmm: Maybe Sarah or Aïda can confirm that this is the date that is indeed printed on the front page of the scanned book ?

So in this case, sorry, it's not a PD book for LV. :(

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kitty, I had no idea you spoke Arabic too! :thumbs:

Yes, 1935 is too late, it will be PD in the US in... 2032 if I calculated this correctly. However, looking at the second review of this book (and fiddling with google translate), we get:
The first volume of the book A Thousand and One Nights, with strange incidents and stories, the strange singer, her nights in love with Gram and the details of love and love and hyme, and tales and comic jokes, and sectarian and literary narratives, wonderful pictures wonderful of the most brilliant and wonderful scenes From the wonders of time, an interview and corrected on the print edition of Bulaq Amiri print in 1280 AH, the commitment of Saeed Ali Khusousi, the owner of printing press and library Saidia next to Al-Azhar in Egypt.
If there was indeed an earlier edition at 1280 that would be 1902 in the Gregorian calendar, no? We could definitely read from that edition - if this one is findable somewhere.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: April 21st, 2019, 1:47 amKitty, I had no idea you spoke Arabic too! :thumbs:
I don't, but I started a few lessons a while ago (and stopped again quite quickly, but I still can decipher the script, although I don't understand the words)
If there was indeed an earlier edition at 1280 that would be 1902 in the Gregorian calendar, no? We could definitely read from that edition - if this one is findable somewhere.
oh ! I didn't read the reviews ! Good find. Yes, maybe Sarah or Aïda can find this first edition on archive. At the bottom of the archive page, you always find other scans, maybe one of them is a good one.

I also just read this note: "Revised and corrected from Bulak edition of 1863" so this scan is a revised edition and not valid, but maybe we can find the Bulak edition of 1863

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

actually if I'm not mistaken some of the book links are from earlier editions. At least that's what archive says, we need confirmation from a date printed in the scan. Check out the last 4 suggestions at the bottom of the page.

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

They indeed have a publication date! :clap:

https://archive.org/details/alflaylahwalayla01bayruoft/page/n461
Volume 1 - Says 1888 on the very last page (the back cover)

https://archive.org/details/alflaylahwalayla02bayruoft
Volume 2 - Says 1889 on the very last page

https://archive.org/details/alflaylahwalayla04bayruoft/page/n469
Volume 4 - 1889

https://archive.org/details/alflaylahwalayla05bayruoft/page/n385
Volume 5 - 1889

Cant seem to locate volume 3 though.

Edit: There seem to be several different versions out there, the ones above were published by Bayrut Al-Matba'ah al-kalhulikiyah, so we'll need to find volume 3 from the same publisher.

Aida, what do you say to this text link?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AidaAida

Post by AidaAida »

Bravo Availle :clap: I like this version of the Arabian Nights "ألف ليلة وليلة". Later, I will do extensive research in order to find the other missing volume.

Sara, thank you for your offer (DPL), I will be happy to work with you.

Who agrees to be the MC of this project? Sonia, Availle, Sara, thank you very much for your time and effort (ambitious project!).

I can start by registering the volume1. I would like to divide it into 67 sections as follows:

1) المقدمة
2) حكاية الملك شهريارواخيه
3) الثورمع الحمار
4) حكاية التاجرمع الجني
5) الشيخ الأول صاحب الغزالة
6) الشيخ الثاني صاحب الكلبين
7) الشيخ الثالث صاحب البغلة
8) حكاية الصياد
9) وزيرالملك يونان
10) الملك السندباد
11) الوزير المحتال
12) بقية قصة وزيرالملك يونان
13) بقية حكاية الصياد مع الجني
14) البركة والسمكات الملونة
15) الشاب المسحور
16) حكاية الحمال والثلث بنات
17) الفلندري الأول
18) الفلندري الثاني
19) الحاسد و المحسود
20) الفلندري الثالث
21) الصبية الأولى والكلبتان السوداوان
22) الصبية الثانية المضروبة
23) بقية قصة الصبية الأولى
24) حكاية الصبية المقتولة
25) التفاحات الثلث
26) حكاية شمس الدين وزيرمصرونورالدين وزيرالبصرة
27) بدر الدين حسن بن نورالدين
28) عجيب بن بدرالدين حسن
29) سفرشمس الدين مع عجيب في طلب إبن اخيه
30) ملاقاة بدرالدين حسن مع امه وابنه عجيب وعمه شمس الدين
31) حكاية الخياطوالأحدب واليهودي والشاهد والنصراني
32) الشاب المقطوع اليد
33) الشاب الذي أكل الزيرباجة
34) الشاب الموصلي
35) الشاب والمزين البغدادي
36) المزين
37) اخ المزين الأول
38) اخ المزين الثاني
39) اخ المزين الثالث
40) اخ المزين الرابع
41) اخ المزين الخامس
42) حكاية الوزيرين وأنيس الجليس
43) نورالدين علي وأنيس الجليس
44) نورالدين علي وأنيس الجليس والشيخ إبراهيم الخولي
45) نورالدين علي وأنيس الجليس والشيخ إبراهيم الخولي والخليفة هارون الرشيد
46) حكاية التاجرايوب وإبنه غانم وبنته فتنة
47) العبد بخيت
48) غانم بن أيوب وقوت القلوب
49) ام غانم بن أيوب وقوت القلوب
50) حكاية الملك عمربن النعمان وابنيه شركان وضوء المكان
51) شركان والملكة ابريزة
52) ابريزة والعبد غضبان
53) مشاورة الملك حردوب مع أمه ذات الدواهي
54) ضوء المكان وأخته نزهة الزمان
55) ضوء المكان ووقاد الحمام
56) نزهة الزمان والبدوي
57) نزهة الزمان والتاجر
58) شركان مع نزهة الزمان
59) تعارف شركان باخته نزهة الزمان
60) سفرضوء المكان مع الوقاد إلى بغداد
61) تعارف نزهة الزمان باخيها ضوء المكان
62) سبب قتل عمربن النعمان
63) تجهيزشركان وضوء المكان العساكرللجهاد
64) قتال عسكرالمسلمين التاجر والنصارى
65) مكرذات الدواهي
66) قتال شركان مع الملك افريدون وحرج شركان
67) قتل ذات الدواهي لشركان ودفنه في الجبل

thank you so much,
Aïda :)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, here we go! With some slight trepidation, I have set this up for you.
You may speak Arabic in the thread, I don't mind, but if you do run into trouble somehow, please let me know in a language I speak too :wink:

What I would like you to do is to go full arabic on this one and use the intro/outro in arabic instead of English. Check this project for a guideline: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52351

Other than this, we're ready to go! I would appreciate if you could check the arabic very carefully once this project is catalogued, but that will take a while I guess... :wink:

Have fun, you two! It's very exciting to get this book in the original! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Aïda and Ava,

I'm so excited to start this project with both of you too! Let us do our best. :thumbs:
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
AidaAida

Post by AidaAida »

Let's go! I put the titles in the magic window.

Have fun :D

Aïda
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for jumping in. First, I can hardly express how excited I am to see this project being started. It would be a great gift to lovers of the Arabic language and literature around the world to have an audio version of 1001 Nights. I just noticed this project while browsing the language list and opened an account in part to applaud your undertaking. I also wanted to comment on the editions to help you make an informed choice. There's more information available about the Beirut edition, including links to PDFs for all volumes, here:

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008398807
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/006292686

Of course, it's entirely your choice to go with this edition, and having an audio version would be great with or without the "naughty" portions. However, if you prefer to use an unexpurgated version, here are the standard printed editions from the 19th century from which most modern translations were made:

(1) Calcutta I = ed. Ahmad al-Shirwani, 2 vols., Calcutta 1814–8;
(2) Bulaq I = 2 vols., Bulaq (Cairo) 1835;
(3) Calcutta II = ed. William Hay Macnaghten, 4 vols., Calcutta 1839–42;
(4) Breslau = ed. Maximilian Habicht and Heinrich Leberecht Fleischer, 12 vols., Breslau 1825–43;
(5) Bulaq II = 4 vols., Bulaq (Cairo) 1862.

I believe I've come across PDFs of Calcultta II and Bulaq II at the Archive before. Let me know if you need help tracking them down.

Hope this helps,
Michael