New one minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Desull

Post by Desull » April 13th, 2019, 1:23 pm

This is my first try at a one minute test. I used a USB microphone and recorded with Audacity. Let me know what you think.

thanks,

DeSull

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1minute_test-deesull.mp3

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 16th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Hello there, nice recording! I hope you can start recording soon! First there is one little thing we need to get taken care of, and that is your background noise. It is pretty loud. Luckily this is an easy fix:
1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 0.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.
7. Take a listen, you may find that you want to do this over again to reduce more noise. When playing around with your test, I needed to do it 2 or 3 times to fully reduce it.

After doing this, I suspect you will be under the volume limit of 86 dbs. We do ask for 86-92 with 89 being preferred. If you haven't already, downloading the program Checker can help you see your volume. If you find yourself under the required limit:1. Select your entire recording
2. Go to menu items Effect>Amplify
3. Enter whatever number you need to get to 89 in the first box
4. Hit OK.
This should get you to the required range!

Let me know if you have any questions! If not, please do these things, re upload, post in the same thread, and I'll take another listen!
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

Desull

Post by Desull » April 17th, 2019, 5:31 am

Thanks for listening Lymie.

I certainly would have processed the clip, if it wasn't for reading that the 1-minute clip should be raw. I will do as you suggest later on today.

Thanks again

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 17th, 2019, 6:37 am

Desull wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 5:31 am
Thanks for listening Lymie.

I certainly would have processed the clip, if it wasn't for reading that the 1-minute clip should be raw. I will do as you suggest later on today.

Thanks again
That makes sense. We only ask for it to be raw to check to make sure things go correctly. There have been people who have submitted processed files that had some weird quality that made them re record and submit a raw one. It's never fun to tell somebody to do that :cry:. Thanks for reading the directions carefully, that is very great :D
Campbell

Desull

Post by Desull » April 20th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Here is the processed file. Got it a little hot I guess, just under 92 dB. I think I would have re-recorded it, if this was something for an audience. I am pretty sure I know the noise is the fancy LED fans on the computer, so I can turn those down next time. It seems capturing a better raw recording would be better than playing with the processing. However, I thought I should go through that exercise as well, anyway.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1minute_test_processed-dsullivan.mp3

Many thanks Lymie.

DSull

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 20th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Desull wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 5:05 pm
Here is the processed file. Got it a little hot I guess, just under 92 dB. I think I would have re-recorded it, if this was something for an audience. I am pretty sure I know the noise is the fancy LED fans on the computer, so I can turn those down next time. It seems capturing a better raw recording would be better than playing with the processing. However, I thought I should go through that exercise as well, anyway.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1minute_test_processed-dsullivan.mp3

Many thanks Lymie.

DSull
Nice work! You did well. If I were you I would run one more pass of noise reduction on it, and it would be good :D. Otherwise it sounded amazing! You have the OK to begin recording! I am glad you know what the noise is, can help prevent it in the future :D. Hope to see you around!
Campbell

Desull

Post by Desull » April 20th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback and all the guidance. Now to find something to read...