COMPLETE[PLAY]The Wasters by Arthur Adams - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

"a dynasty of shop-walkers....there will one day come the super-shopwalker that Nietzsche predicts" :lol: this had me on the floor laughing !

Excellent job, Chris, you're the born shopwalker, it seems. Maybe even the uber-shopwalker Nietzsche was hoping for. He's so slimy with the customers and so calculating with Miss Hebblesthwaite. He kinda deserved what he got in the end ;)

Wonderfully entertaining, thanks for the great performance ! Both acts PL ok. Definitely a funny highlight in this rather problematic plot.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty wrote: April 19th, 2019, 11:11 am Definitely a funny highlight in this rather problematic plot.

Sonia

Thanks, Sonia.

My goal is to make one think :hmm: ... then to make one laugh :lol: ... but then to make one think :hmm: .

Really complex, aren't I? :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: April 19th, 2019, 3:01 pmMy goal is to make one think :hmm: ... then to make one laugh :lol: ... but then to make one think :hmm: .
what if it turns out: :lol: ... :hmm: ... :lol:

that fine with you as well ? :mrgreen:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty wrote: April 20th, 2019, 2:19 am what if it turns out: :lol: ... :hmm: ... :lol:

that fine with you as well ? :mrgreen:

Sonia
Back in the day when I was a young single bloke, the saying was: “Just so long as she laughs ... you live.” :wink:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: April 20th, 2019, 3:23 am Back in the day when I was a young single bloke, the saying was: “Just so long as she laughs ... you live.” :wink:
of course, it's way better to make someone laugh than cry !

Sonia
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

I have Guy's final act! I couldn't figure out if Guy was actually repentant or just manipulative, so I chose the second :twisted:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wasters_guy_2_128kb.mp3
5:13
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 20th, 2019, 4:42 pmI have Guy's final act! I couldn't figure out if Guy was actually repentant or just manipulative, so I chose the second :twisted:
urgh, Guy is a bit of a despicable person :? but well played out, Campbell. Especially the snivelling part was excellent. :thumbs: I really cannot understand the mother that she would so dote on this boy. :roll:

PL ok. Thanks !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: April 5th, 2019, 8:34 am And Act 3 also ready. Act 2 is a bit longer, so I wanted to have the short ones out first.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wasters_narrator_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 5:49 min.

Sonia
All the stage directions are perfect. Thank you. PL OK.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 12:45 pmAll the stage directions are perfect. Thank you. PL OK.
thank you, Todd, I'm glad to hear all is ok :) now you can start doing your thing in assembling. (although, you probably don't do it that early in process, with only a few roles in)

Sonia
PetitPoiSon

Post by PetitPoiSon »

Hello!
May I claim the role of Mrs Clibborn?
A bientôt !
Pauline
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PetitPoiSon wrote: April 24th, 2019, 8:28 am May I claim the role of Mrs Clibborn?
c'est génial, Pauline !!! You will be excellent in this role. Short, but significant, and surely fun to create.

merci beaucoup ! I'll sign you up

And that means we're fully claimed here :9:

Sonia
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Hi -

In section 1, Act 2, is the part of Mrs. Megget still available? I'd like to read it, if so.

Betsy
ToddHW wrote: April 14th, 2019, 7:46 am Thank you.

Todd
I have not forgotten this. I'd set aside time for it this weekend, but now have laryngitis! I'll get to it within a week -- promise!

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Well, by the end of the afternoon, I got my voice back enough to record! Yay - this was fun. In the Intro I included "Act 2". It would be easy for me to delete that if you don't want it there. I figured easier to delete than to add in later. Here's the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wasters_mrs.meggett_02_128kb_.mp3

Duration: 1:57

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BetsyWalker wrote: April 28th, 2019, 5:36 pmWell, by the end of the afternoon, I got my voice back enough to record! Yay - this was fun. In the Intro I included "Act 2". It would be easy for me to delete that if you don't want it there. I figured easier to delete than to add in later.
yes, you can cut out the "Act 2" in your voice credit, it won't get used like that. The voice credit is always without "act" inserted.

Thank you Betsy, what a great performance. Those two will be a very funny double act I imagine. I know TJ will have a field-day with Mrs Cronk. :lol: They look from the start as if they were not inclined to buy anything but only waste the seller's time :lol: No wonder Tossie has a break-down at the end.

I like the prim way you're portraying Mrs Megget, especially in her fervent speech against 'ips. :mrgreen:

Great job, but you are missing a few lines at the end of the act. Also, I'd like you to insert 2 longer breaks in two places:

> at 1:25: (p. 23) you forgot to leave a break of 2 seconds between these quotes: “It says here, Mrs Cronk (... pause for narrator ...) in this advertisement”

> at 1:46: (p. 30) "if it's not too much trouble (...stage directions...) it's quite early yet" - same here, you need to remember to leave a long break even in the middle of your sentence, if there is a stage direction to be inserted. It will make Todd’s job easier if he doesn’t have to fiddle too much around small spaces. This one is very short, but still long enough to easily cut and paste, so here it's optional, but the previous one has no room at all and would make editing tricky

> at about 1:54: (p. 33 & 34) four missing lines in the final pages of this act:

> This rose du barry looks smartest to me.
> Why, it’s past twelve, I do declare.
> How any decent woman, let alone a widow, could be seen dead in one of these shameful things beats me.
> Good-morning !

thank you :)

Sonia