Editing in Audacity

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

On a recording, when not recording, do Ctrl-B. It puts a new track below your original one, with a mark where your cursor was when you did the Ctrl-B, and a field to type in a label.

That whole thing is a label track.

It comes in handy when you want to make a note of something at a specific point in a recording. It only saves in the Audacity file format, though - not in MP3, etc.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

TriciaG wrote: April 19th, 2019, 4:16 pm On a recording, when not recording, do Ctrl-B. It puts a new track below your original one, with a mark where your cursor was when you did the Ctrl-B, and a field to type in a label.

That whole thing is a label track.

It comes in handy when you want to make a note of something at a specific point in a recording. It only saves in the Audacity file format, though - not in MP3, etc.
Wow, Kevin - you are fast! Thanks so much - :clap: :clap:

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG is the smart one.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I am late to this discussion but would like to suggest simplicity. Just repeat a mistake until it sounds right and keep on recording. No clicks, no bumps, no verbal cues, just saying the phrase until it sounds good to me. That's it. I tried adding clicks but they are not necessary since when editing, the mistakes are so obvious and can just be cut out. Here is a video of how I edit. Just one method but keeping it super simple keeps me editing without frustration at all. It also makes recording simple; just keep on reading. :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMHG6WbiEYg
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

KevinS wrote: April 19th, 2019, 6:45 pm TriciaG is the smart one.
Oops - right - but you BOTH are. You responded with helpful info, too. Thanks, also, to TriciaG!

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

philchenevert wrote: April 19th, 2019, 8:29 pm I am late to this discussion but would like to suggest simplicity. Just repeat a mistake until it sounds right and keep on recording. No clicks, no bumps, no verbal cues, just saying the phrase until it sounds good to me. That's it. I tried adding clicks but they are not necessary since when editing, the mistakes are so obvious and can just be cut out. Here is a video of how I edit. Just one method but keeping it super simple keeps me editing without frustration at all. It also makes recording simple; just keep on reading. :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMHG6WbiEYg
Phil - this is what I do, too. I don't have to worry about technical manipulation while I am reading. Just repeat till it sounds right. I do try to make sure that I give myself one or two full seconds before I repeat. That's it.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe