Emily of New Moon PG text

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hello everyone,

As you probably know, Elijah and I have decided to start doing DRs together. One of the books on the list was Emily of New Moon. It was released into the public domain at the beginning of this year, as it was published in 1923 and thus now PD. From my searches (first starting on March 1) , Project Gutenberg has not made this an ebook yet. I didn't want to get involved in asking PG to make it, because I'm definitely not good at that kind of stuff. So I decided to just wait till they eventually made it into an ebook.

Yesterday I was checking to see if they had yet, and the PG website was down (meaning buffering, in this case) so I Googled 'project gutenberg emily of new moon'. I found that Project Gutenberg Australia had made an ebook of Emily of New Moon. The text is here:

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0201141h.html

My question is, can people in the U.S. (like Elijah and me) use this ebook, even though it is Project Gutenberg Australia? Emily of New Moon is PD all over the world, so is that all right?

Thanks in advance,
Rachel
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

On that page it says
Project Gutenberg of Australia eBooks are created from printed editions
which are in the public domain in Australia, unless a copyright notice
is included. We do NOT keep any eBooks in compliance with a particular
paper edition.
So what you would need to do is somehow prove that what they used did not differ from the 1923 edition.

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑April 19th, 2019, 10:02 am Hello everyone,

As you probably know, Elijah and I have decided to start doing DRs together. One of the books on the list was Emily of New Moon. It was released into the public domain at the beginning of this year, as it was published in 1923 and thus now PD. From my searches (first starting on March 1) , Project Gutenberg has not made this an ebook yet. I didn't want to get involved in asking PG to make it, because I'm definitely not good at that kind of stuff. So I decided to just wait till they eventually made it into an ebook.

Yesterday I was checking to see if they had yet, and the PG website was down (meaning buffering, in this case) so I Googled 'project gutenberg emily of new moon'. I found that Project Gutenberg Australia had made an ebook of Emily of New Moon. The text is here:

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0201141h.html

My question is, can people in the U.S. (like Elijah and me) use this ebook, even though it is Project Gutenberg Australia? Emily of New Moon is PD all over the world, so is that all right?

Thanks in advance,
Rachel
The book is available as a free ebook by Google. It shows the 1923 copyright. Does that help?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's on Archive, too, but I assume it doesn't help because they want a straight text version to make a script out of for a dramatic reading. :) The text format of a book at Archive is a mess because it's not proofread or corrected, just a raw OCR (Optical Character Recognition - computer guesses what the letters are supposed to be).

There's copyright clearance at PG for EoNM: (list here: http://www.pglaf.org/~ccx074/gutip.html )
Emily of New Moon - Copyright cleared 16 Feb 2019

So either someone is creating a text for it, or they just did a copyright clearance on it. I'm guessing/hoping the first.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

What if they did screen shots of each page from the Google book? Can one be prohibited from photographing a book that was already scanned and is in the public domain?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That wouldn't help them make scripts.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

It is currently in process at Distributed Prooferreaders: https://www.pgdp.net/c/project.php?id=projectID5c773f4a8378f
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

FYI,

There's a project at Distributed Proofreaders for a PG ebook of Emily of New Moon. It's in the 3rd round of proofreading now. Don't know how long it will take to finish up (it's been in the rounds for about a month so far), but I can (1) keep an eye on it and give periodic updates, and (2) help work on the book at DP to move it along, as I am a member there.

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
ej400

Post by ej400 »

DACSoft wrote: ↑April 19th, 2019, 4:58 pm FYI,

There's a project at Distributed Proofreaders for a PG ebook of Emily of New Moon. It's in the 3rd round of proofreading now. Don't know how long it will take to finish up (it's been in the rounds for about a month so far), but I can (1) keep an eye on it and give periodic updates, and (2) help work on the book at DP to move it along, as I am a member there.

Don
This is why we need Don! If it wouldn't be a pain, can you please do that for us?
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Sure will. In fact I'll proof some of it tonight. :)
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: ↑April 19th, 2019, 4:50 pm That wouldn't help them make scripts.
Easy to print screenshots. Tedious, though.

Or am I missing something?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

People usually take a text and highlight different characters speeches in different colours when they setup a DR (dramatic reading)
Yes they could use a scan I suppose but I've never heard of it being done.

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: ↑April 19th, 2019, 6:24 pm
TriciaG wrote: ↑April 19th, 2019, 4:50 pm That wouldn't help them make scripts.
Easy to print screenshots. Tedious, though.

Or am I missing something?
Scripts like this one:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CmS8565oVKbEYdqwj5DZtHBj3NW2HOLlw4kiGicMIlE

It's pretty crucial to be able to copy/paste the whole text, so you can mark it up.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thank you all for your responses!
DACSoft wrote: ↑April 19th, 2019, 4:58 pm FYI,

Don
Oh my gosh thank you, Don!
Yeah, I don't really have time/money to print the screenshots...it does sound pretty tedious and I'm very busy.

I mean, anybody could always copy (by hand) the text into a Google doc...but (*groan*) that's SUPER, SUPER tedious. Almost everybody would rather wait for a copy-and-pastable text to be made. Myself included.

Thank you everybody!

Don, could you report "(1) keep an eye on it and give periodic updates" here at this thread for us? Thank you so, so much. I wouldn't even know how to begin getting involved in working on the ebook itself, you don't know how much this helps us.

Thank you and God bless!

Rachel
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑April 20th, 2019, 11:06 am Don, could you report "(1) keep an eye on it and give periodic updates" here at this thread for us?
Yes, Rachel, I'd be happy to.

I've posted in the project's discussion forum at DP about your interest in making an audio dramatic version of the book, once it gets submitted to PG, and my commitment to assist in the rounds to help expedite the process (to stimulate additional interest at DP). :)

The project's Post-Processor* subsequently posted that she would assign a high priority to getting the project completed and submitted to PG once it finishes the rounds and hits her post-processing queue.

Don

* The Post-Processor is the individual that takes all the work the proof readers and formatters have done and creates the final text and HTML (web) versions of the ebook, and submits the finished project to PG.
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up: