COMPLETE[PLAY]The Magnificent Lovers by Molière - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

You're such an encourager! Thanks. :wink:
Noted, and I will try to get to it tomorrow.
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Good day,
I would dare to claim:
1 A Triton, Act 1
2 Other Tritons, Act 1
3 A Cupid, Act 1
4 Another Cupid, Act 1
5 Yet Another Cupid, Act 1
6 Third Sea God, Act 1
Let me know.
Cheers,
Cornel :)
Cornel Nemes
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

irondog70 wrote: April 19th, 2019, 3:42 pm Good day,
I would dare to claim:
1 A Triton, Act 1
2 Other Tritons, Act 1
3 A Cupid, Act 1
4 Another Cupid, Act 1
5 Yet Another Cupid, Act 1
6 Third Sea God, Act 1
Let me know.
Cheers,
Cornel :)
You can claim only one of these parts since they are all in the same act. Please pick one.

Thanks, Todd
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Ok,
I'll do "A Triton+ The Chorus lines(Act 1). Do you have any way of reading/interpreting the Chorus, in mind? Or, my (whichever) way is fine?
I can try another one too:
Section 7/ Aristione, a princess, mother to Eriphyle, Act 1. I'll do a neutral voice on that. :lol:
Thanks.
Cornel Nemes
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

irondog70 wrote: April 19th, 2019, 7:54 pm Ok,
I'll do "A Triton+ The Chorus lines(Act 1). Do you have any way of reading/interpreting the Chorus, in mind? Or, my (whichever) way is fine?
I can try another one too:
Section 7/ Aristione, a princess, mother to Eriphyle, Act 1. I'll do a neutral voice on that. :lol:
Thanks.
Just wanted to chime in: in plays we claim by character rather than section. If you want to play Aristione you'd have to claim all her acts. And as she's a major character who also appears in Act 1, you wouldn't be able to play the Triton, too. Ideally a different person plays each character, and they voice only one character in each act.
Tomas Peter
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Good advice!
I'll do the Aristione parts then.
Can I? :hmm: :wink:
Cornel Nemes
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

irondog70 wrote: April 19th, 2019, 9:26 pm Good advice!
I'll do the Aristione parts then.
Can I? :hmm: :wink:
I'm not the coordinator, but I assume he may prefer a female reader to play a princess. Or, at least, he'd probably want to wait and see if one comes along. :P Since you're new here, I'd recommend starting out small for now, to get a handle of how reading for a play works. So maybe the Triton would be the best fit. And then once you've practiced you can try something bigger!
Tomas Peter
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Hahahaha! Don't get tricked by the word Princess here. She's an OLD PRINCESS. More like a Mother-in-law type of character. Generally, in Moliere's plays, men were playing many if not most of the old female or female parts. I know I'm new here, but I'm not new to real live stage playing. I do have a BFA in Acting from my native Romania. Of course, I'm mostly used on live stage performances and this might be a different thing. I've studied Moliere in my drama college for a few months and I did play a few male roles. Moliere shouldn't be played like a Greek tragedy. Moliere gave us comedies and satires of the bourgeois society, with its impostors, false pretenders, hypocrites, etc.... I thought it would be fun to play an old female part, but no problem. I'll try my "amazing talent" :lol: in a different project.
Best of Luck! ;)
Cornel Nemes
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

irondog70 wrote: April 19th, 2019, 9:50 pm Hahahaha! Don't get tricked by the word Princess here. She's an OLD PRINCESS. More like a Mother-in-law type of character. Generally, in Moliere's plays, men were playing many if not most of the old female or female parts. I know I'm new here, but I'm not new to real live stage playing. I do have a BFA in Acting from my native Romania. Of course, I'm mostly used on live stage performances and this might be a different thing. I've studied Moliere in my drama college for a few months and I did play a few male roles. Moliere shouldn't be played like a Greek tragedy. Moliere gave us comedies and satires of the bourgeois society, with its impostors, false pretenders, hypocrites, etc.... I thought it would be fun to play an old female part, but no problem. I'll try my "amazing talent" :lol: in a different project.
Best of Luck! ;)
Again, it's up to the coordinator to decide. You're the first male reader to request a prominent female role in quite some time (I actually can't recall when this last happened), but you also make a good point that this is a comedy and back in Moliere's time men had the opportunity to play older females. And I think Todd follows gender neutral casting policy, so if he's OK with it, he can slot you in. I just commented because there are some play coordinators who want gender-perfect casting for major roles. On a stage it's much easier to differentiate who is playing who, whereas in an audiobook listeners will need to remember that a man is playing a female role, unless he pitches up his voice to make it really obvious. So yes, there are several notable differences between acting on a stage and acting behind a microphone. One has to adapt accordingly. :P
Tomas Peter
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Thank you for you candor and good advice Thomas!
You are making perfect sense.
I really appreciate your honest opinion.
I'm, most likely, under the Librivox-Novice enthusiasm spell here! :lol:
Cheers! :clap: :thumbs:
Thanks again,
Cornel.
Cornel Nemes
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Well, a lot went on while I was sleeping in my timezone.

Welcome, and yes you can have Aristione - I always do gender-neutral casting. Just follow the instructions in the first posting about file names - oh, heck, here's a whole set of hints prepared recently by Kitty, our overworked and underpaid DPL on this project and many others:
I have made a short summary for the important special rules in drama, so here goes, as a reminder:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Aristione, a princess, mother to Eriphyle, read by Cornel" (or whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. For a bigger role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting

4) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because our editor (Todd) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out.
By the way, that "Librivox-Novice enthusiasm spell" doesn't necessarily go away. It can take over your entire life...

Thanks, Todd
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Morning from Nevada Todd,
:lol: I think that amateur love for this , is staying, 'till the end, for all of Librivox folks. Otherwise, what the heck are we doing here?! Haha.
I'll immerse myself into Aristione's skin soon and see what I can bring out of her character.
Thanks for all the good directions,
Cornel.
Cornel Nemes
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Hi Todd,
Here is my 1st version for Aristione(Act 1). Let me know if you want it in a different style:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magnificentlovers_aristione_1_128kb.mp3
Duration: 7:31

Aristione(Act 2) here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magnificentlovers_aristione_2_128kb.mp3
Duration: 1:02

Thank you,
Cornel :wink:
Cornel Nemes
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Aristione Act 3:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magnificentlovers_aristione_3_128kb.mp3
duration 4:03

Aristione Act 4:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magnificentlovers_aristione_4_128kb.mp3
duration: 3:39

Aristione Act 5:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magnificentlovers_aristione_5_128kb.mp3

Please, let me know if anything else is required, especially post PL!
Thank you for allowing me the chance to play here.
It was fun! lol!
Merci Beaucoup ;)
Cornel Nemes