Gauging Interest - Mueller Report [LAUNCHED]

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
stinssd

Post by stinssd » April 18th, 2019, 9:34 am

So, it has been my intent to MC and read the first material for the Mueller Report (that is now out). I’ve just downloaded the PDF from ABC News. Previously, I helped us create the 9/11 Commission report. My interests are largely in recording the document for posterity. I just read a few of the messages in this read just now. Would this be okay?
Samuel Stinson

"And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12, ASV)

"My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." (Psalms 45:1, ASV)

ktzn

Post by ktzn » April 18th, 2019, 10:45 am

Yes, absolutely. I want to read as well. Here's the link to the justice department PDF: https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf Don't know there's a difference.
_______
Kathy

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » April 18th, 2019, 11:11 am

I am up for this! I also was thinking of recording just the two executive summaries for the non fiction collection.

I am trying to do a quick read through for myself but I keep thinking about how I would read it aloud—emphasis, how to describe redactions etc—and it was slowing me down so much I decided to come on here and see what’s doing so far!

I haven’t done a BC before but I’ve been planning to try it. I’d prefer a more low key project for my first one but if no one else starts one in the next day or so, I will figure it out! Otherwise I will gladly volunteer to take part in the reading.

The links from various places are probably all the same but to be safe we should probably make the official link for any recordings the one on the actual DOJ site.

My suggestion for handling redactions is to read up to the break point and then say, “Redaction” then the label on the redaction (the report has them categorized by reason for redaction and each barred-out section has a label on it) and then maybe the length of the redaction to give a listener an idea of how much is cut out there, so “less than one line” or “approximately 3 lines” or “approximately one half page”. Since visually, a part of a line redacted suggests that it’s probably just a name and longer ones contain more info so it may or may not be something to communicate to the listener.

Colleen

Colleen

Foon

Post by Foon » April 18th, 2019, 11:19 am

I am definitely interested in this too!

I was doing the exact same thing as you Colleen, trying to imagine reading it out loud--"Redacted [for] Personal Privacy" etc seems quite logical.
I don't know if you'd need to estimate the length, because that might be too much information for the listener, but maybe "Phrase/Sentence/Paragraph(s) redacted [for] [reason]" or something like that?
Foon - Please correct my pronunciation!

Readers needed:
NEW! Arabian Nights (Vol. 11)
Dialogues of the Gods (Drama)
Zeus the Tragedian (Drama)

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » April 18th, 2019, 11:31 am

I definitely think redactions should be specified and the reason is technically part of the text and we try to read texts completely. The length is debatable, I would do it if it were up to me because I would be thinking of trying to recreate as well as possible in audio the information you would get from looking at the page. As a reader you sort of interpret or guesstimate the meaning of a redaction by how much is covered— A partial line is probably a name, a half a page is a significant amount of discussion— so I was trying to think of a way to efficiently give those context clues that a reader would see, so a listener would get the same understanding.

But in the other hand that could get pretty clunky too especially in the sections that have text/redaction/text/redaction/text/ redaction within a few lines.

Whatever is decided, it would be good to agree on a standard format and include it in the first post so all readers do it the same way.

Colleen

ktzn

Post by ktzn » April 18th, 2019, 11:41 am

I definitely think we should do the "redacted for x purpose". My only concern is that it might become tedious to the listener if we listed out the length for every redaction. I haven't had a chance to read everything, but from what I've seen there are words, paragraphs, lines, etc. and when they bump against one another it might be hard for people to keep track.

I'm currently bc'ing a solo project right now, so I have a little bit of experience with it. I'll check everything out when I get home from work today and see how it can be segmented out.
_______
Kathy

Foon

Post by Foon » April 18th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Sorry, I just realised my message was badly written; I absolutely think we should specify reason for redaction. That's definitely relevant for the listener. I only meant the length could be optional. I'd probably limit it to "sentence" or "paragraph" or something like that, more specific details (e.g. "four and a half lines") would just be confusing.

I'd be happy to BC or help out in other ways if need be, but of course I don't want to "steal" someone's project so I'll first wait to see what happens. :D
Foon - Please correct my pronunciation!

Readers needed:
NEW! Arabian Nights (Vol. 11)
Dialogues of the Gods (Drama)
Zeus the Tragedian (Drama)

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » April 18th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Hi all,

I am up for reading for this. We should get going soon so we can have it ready asap! ZOOOOM!

EDIT: I’ve just seen that Audible’s free version is currently slated to drop on the 30th. Wow, that is fast.
Rob Marland
● NEW! A Woman Is a Weathercock by Nathan Field. A bawdy Jacobean comedy.
● DONE Amends for Ladies by Nathan Field.
● DONE The Doves' Nest & Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield.

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » April 18th, 2019, 1:11 pm

I hope we will still do it. Audibles might not always be available, or always free...

Colleen

KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE » April 18th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Bookmarking this topic to stay apprised. I am interested.
Josh Kibbey

ktzn

Post by ktzn » April 18th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Foon wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 12:28 pm
I'd be happy to BC or help out in other ways if need be, but of course I don't want to "steal" someone's project so I'll first wait to see what happens. :D
If you would like to BC it, GO FOR IT. :) I just raised the topic, which Colleen had already raised a while back.

We need a PL. Anyone interested in doing that? Glad to see other folks are interested.
RobMarland wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 12:31 pm
Hi all,

I am up for reading for this. We should get going soon so we can have it ready asap! ZOOOOM!
I think we should get rolling on it, too.
_______
Kathy

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » April 18th, 2019, 1:46 pm

I read somewhere that Audible's version might actually be automated, so not real people. And I agree that the fact that other versions exist doesn't mean we shouldn't do a LV version.

For what it's worth, I echo the encouragement for Foon to go ahead and BC so we can get this moving. It might be a large task to decide where to break up the sections too, before we even start reading. Happy to help in whatever way whoever decides to BC might need.

As for PL, maybe we could distribute that between us? Just an idea. It's a lot for one person to listen to.
Rob Marland

KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE » April 18th, 2019, 1:54 pm

RobMarland wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 1:46 pm
I read somewhere that Audible's version might actually be automated, so not real people. And I agree that the fact that other versions exist doesn't mean we shouldn't do a LV version.

For what it's worth, I echo the encouragement for Foon to go ahead and BC so we can get this moving. It might be a large task to decide where to break up the sections too, before we even start reading. Happy to help in whatever way whoever decides to BC might need.

As for PL, maybe we could distribute that between us? Just an idea. It's a lot for one person to listen to.
I agree completely..."choice of voice", as we say here! Important thing is to get it out there. I can help in any way, as well, on top of recording.
Josh Kibbey

stinssd

Post by stinssd » April 18th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Okay, I've got it posted as a new group project on the launch pad. I haven't created a new project in almost a decade, so I'm eager to get back into the game. :-)

As for the redacted parts, I have a suggestion: there are two tags that show up most of the time, HOM and IT. I think to avoid clunkiness, it may just be better to try reading "H-O-M" or "I-T" for each of these, since speaking out the abbreviations for redactions would take a lot of time--there are quite a few redactions, I don't mind saying.

Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74693&p=1580711#p1580711
Last edited by stinssd on April 18th, 2019, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Stinson

"And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12, ASV)

"My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." (Psalms 45:1, ASV)

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » April 18th, 2019, 2:15 pm

stinssd wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 2:00 pm
Okay, I've got it posted as a new group project on the launch pad. I haven't created a new project in almost a decade, so I'm eager to get back into the game. :-)
Nice one!
stinssd wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 2:00 pm
As for the redacted parts, I have a suggestion: there are two tags that show up most of the time, HOM and IT. I think to avoid clunkiness, it may just be better to try reading "H-O-M" or "I-T" for each of these, since speaking out the abbreviations for redactions would take a lot of time--there are quite a few redactions, I don't mind saying.
I don't think I agree about this, just because some people might dip into certain chapters. I agree it's very repetitive, but I would favour stating every time "redacted: harm to ongoing matter" or "redacted: grand jury" or whatever.

Other things to be decided for consistency will include what to say when we read the footnotes (e.g. "footnote 268... xxx. End of footnote"). How to deal with numbers and dates (we could agree to say e.g. "December 25th 2017" instead of "12 - 25 -2017", or whatever you prefer.) And there are also symbols: I've spotted the paragraph symbol and some others that refer to sections of documents.
Rob Marland