COMPLETE [Weekly Poetry] On The Sea by Ivan Turgenev - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

On The Sea by Ivan Turgenev (1818 - 1883). Translated by Constance Garnett (1861 - 1946)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/on-the-sea-by-ivan-turgenev/
Ivan Sergeyevich Turgenev was a Russian novelist, short story writer, poet, playwright, translator and popularizer of Russian literature in the West.

Constance Clara Garnett was an English translator of nineteenth-century Russian literature. Garnett was one of the first English translators of Leo Tolstoy, Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Anton Chekhov and introduced them on a wide basis to the English-speaking public. ( wikipedia)
Each week a poem is chosen to be recorded by as many LibriVox volunteers as possible!
This week's poem can be found here.

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 kHz

Have questions on "how"?
Check LV's Recording Notes thread before recording. If this is your first recording, you'll also find this Newbie Guide to Recording useful.
Begin your reading with the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
On The Sea by Ivan Turgenev, read for LibriVox.org by [your name].
[Add, if you wish, date, your location, and/or your personal url.]
Then read the poem:
I was going from Hamburg to London in a small steamer. We were two passengers; I and a little female monkey, whom a Hamburg merchant was sending as a present to his English partner.

She was fastened by a light chain to one of the seats on deck, and was moving restlessly and whining in a little plaintive pipe like a bird's.

Every time I passed by her she stretched out her little, black, cold hand, and peeped up at me out of her little mournful, almost human eyes. I took her hand, and she ceased whining and moving restlessly about.

There was a dead calm. The sea stretched on all sides like a motionless sheet of leaden colour. It seemed narrowed and small; a thick fog overhung it, hiding the very mast-tops in cloud, and dazing and wearying the eyes with its soft obscurity. The sun hung, a dull red blur in this obscurity; but before evening it glowed with strange, mysterious, lurid light.

Long, straight folds, like the folds in some heavy silken stuff, passed one after another over the sea from the ship's prow, and broadening as they passed, and wrinkling and widening, were smoothed out again with a shake, and vanished. The foam flew up, churned by the tediously thudding wheels; white as milk, with a faint hiss it broke up into serpentine eddies, and then melted together again and vanished too, swallowed up by the mist.

Persistent and plaintive as the monkey's whine rang the small bell at the stern.

From time to time a porpoise swam up, and with a sudden roll disappeared below the scarcely ruffled surface.

And the captain, a silent man with a gloomy, sunburnt face, smoked a short pipe and angrily spat into the dull, stagnant sea.

To all my inquiries he responded by a disconnected grumble. I was obliged to turn to my sole companion, the monkey.

I sat down beside her; she ceased whining, and again held out her hand to me.

The clinging fog oppressed us both with its drowsy dampness; and buried in the same unconscious dreaminess, we sat side by side like brother and sister.

I smile now ... but then I had another feeling.

We are all children of one mother, and I was glad that the poor little beast was soothed and nestled so confidingly up to me, as to a brother.

November 1879.

At the end of your reading, leave a space and then say:
End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
Save your recording as an mp3 file using the following filename and ID3 tag format:
File name - all in lowercase: onthesea_turgenev_your initials in lowercase_128kb.mp3
(e.g. placeofburial_wordsworth_klh_128kb.mp3 )

ID3 tags (Version 2.30): ID Tags are completed during Cataloging

*Readers, please check back in a day or so for any feedback regarding your reading.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
When you post your link, please include your name as you would like it credited on the catalogue page and any URL by which you would like it accompanied. (Note: This is only necessary if you have not done so for another project.)
(If you wish to contribute, please have your readings submitted by 0600 GMT Sunday, April 21, 2019 (12:00AM CDT)

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!<p>

Magic Window:

BC Admin

(And remember, anyone can suggest a poem for a certain week and/or coordinate an upcoming weekly poem! If you'd like to suggest a poem or coordinate a future Weekly Poetry project, please visit this thread.)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Thank you for this really interesting one!

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/onthesea_turgenev_sws_128kb.mp3
3:12
Scotty
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is my contribution to this project:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/onthesea_turgenev_gg_128kb.mp3

Run time is 2:54

Take care,

Greg
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Great start to this week's project ! Thanks Scotty and Greg. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

aradlaw wrote: April 15th, 2019, 7:39 pm Great start to this week's project ! Thanks Scotty and Greg. :thumbs:
Thanks, David!
brucek

Post by brucek »

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Bruce. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Kevin. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
irondog70

Post by irondog70 »

Cornel Nemes
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Looks like there might be room for one more, so here's mine:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/onthesea_turgenev_jfg_128kb.mp3
recording time 02:48

Thanks!

Jim G.
fshort

Post by fshort »

Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

A little later get mine in. Strange little piece...

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/onthesea_turgenev_lcw_128kb.mp3 2:47
~ Larry
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Phil, Cornel, Jim, Florence and Larry. :thumbs:

Cornel, I'm not sure if you've been asked in any of the other projects, but... what name would you like to appear in the LV catalog and if you have one, we can put your personal URL link on your catalog page too. :D
David Lawrence