COMPLETE [SOLO] Visions and Revisions by John Cowper Powys-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gppetersen

Post by gppetersen »

Perfect read and sounds great. That's quite an intense chapter aye?
keri

Post by keri »

Wasn't it? Really interesting chapter. Powys loves Dostoievsky. Only two more writers to go and a short conclusion.
gppetersen

Post by gppetersen »

Looking forward to the Poe very much. I wish he'd done a chapter on Melville. That would have been fascinating.
keri

Post by keri »

I think I'll do Poe next weekend. I'm really glad that my appreciation of this book has if anything grown through reading it, to me Powys manages to see important things in each writer but I also am impressed by Powys, he's extravagant but it doesn't obscure the writer he is talking about.
keri

Post by keri »

I loved this line:

"A generation that allows itself to be even interested in such types as the "strong," efficient craftsmen of modern industry and finance is a generation that can well afford a few moral shocks at the hands of Dostoievsky's "degenerates.""
gppetersen

Post by gppetersen »

I thought it was great and it stood out for me too but I felt like we had all had failed some kind of test when I heard it.
keri wrote: March 24th, 2019, 6:41 pm I loved this line:

"A generation that allows itself to be even interested in such types as the "strong," efficient craftsmen of modern industry and finance is a generation that can well afford a few moral shocks at the hands of Dostoievsky's "degenerates.""
keri

Post by keri »

gppetersen wrote: March 24th, 2019, 10:16 pm I thought it was great and it stood out for me too but I felt like we had all had failed some kind of test when I heard it.
Yeah, I think we're a generation that thinks about the wrong things, we are accused by the vapidity of our obsessions
keri

Post by keri »

gppetersen

Post by gppetersen »

Another perfect read Keri. I must dig up the Poe's collected works I have and give his poetry a proper read. It's a lovely hard copy illustrated by Arthur Rackham that I'm quite proud of. He seems to deserve ornaments like that.

One to go.
keri

Post by keri »

That sounds like a great edition. I have a book of his poetry as well as collected tales neither illustrated though. Am currently reading Goethe's "Italian Journey"

So yeah just Walt Whitman and conclusion, I'm feeling a little hint of reluctance to finish it off, but might do it over easter weekend all going well.
keri

Post by keri »

keri

Post by keri »

Hi Grant, don't know if you're around this weekend, but lay off proof listening that last section for a little bit as I discovered a few errors I want to change and I will upload it again. Then probably move onto the conclusion and then the reading is complete.
gppetersen

Post by gppetersen »

Roger
keri

Post by keri »

Hi Grant,

new upload for Walt Whitman:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/visions_18_powys_128kb.mp3

time 14:12
keri

Post by keri »

Final section: Conclusion

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/visions_19_powys_128kb.mp3

Time: 9:17

Wow bar any corrections my reading is finished, all done. Do you know what is next?