Post by Lynnet »

I have uploaded section 13
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 13

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hello. Can I read sections 5 and 6, please?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 13th, 2019, 2:53 am Hello. Can I read sections 5 and 6, please?
Thank you for claiming
realisticspeakers

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_05_babbage_128kb.mp3

[28:06]

I have read an additional two paragraphs beginning with "If the reader will take the trouble to calculate with his pencil...",
which begins section 6, as these two actually end a bracketed section.

Therefore, I respectfully request that Section 6 begin with
〈TRIANGULAR NUMBERS.〉
Perhaps my young friend may now ask me, What is the use of such Tables?...
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
realisticspeakers

Disclaimer:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 10:22 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_05_babbage_128kb.mp3

[28:06]

I have read an additional two paragraphs beginning with "If the reader will take the trouble to calculate with his pencil...",
which begins section 6, as these two actually end a bracketed section.

Therefore, I respectfully request that Section 6 begin with
〈TRIANGULAR NUMBERS.〉
Perhaps my young friend may now ask me, What is the use of such Tables?...
Thank you for both sections... and the adjustment is fine. When I am breaking a long chapter, I randomly pick what looks like a good place 8-) When the same reader claims both parts, I usually allow discretion as to where makes more sense for the break (when I remember).
noisydaddy

Post by noisydaddy »

Hey there. I'd like to take a shot at section 24. Let me know what your think.
Regards,

rwg
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

noisydaddy wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 5:33 pm Hey there. I'd like to take a shot at section 24. Let me know what your think.
Regards,

rwg
Enjoy!
noisydaddy

Post by noisydaddy »

Lynnet wrote: April 4th, 2019, 6:00 am
noisydaddy wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 5:33 pm Hey there. I'd like to take a shot at section 24. Let me know what your think.
Regards,

rwg
Enjoy!
Lynnet,

I have a couple of items to run by you to be sure this turns out the way you'd like.

1. There are a fair number of characters in this short passage. I plan to read the name of the character when speaking their lines. I plan to have a dedicated character voice for a few of the main characters (e.g.: Turnstile, Lord Flumm, Lady Flumm, Smooth). If you prefer a more characters have a distinct sounding voice -- more like a readers' theater -- I'll have a go at it, but no promises.

2. Being a play, there are stage directions, usually in brackets. (e.g: “[Knock at the hall door.]”I will read those so that the listener can mentally picture how the characters are moving.

3. There are instructions to the actor, usually in parenthesis. I will read these when they pertain to movement (e.g.: “(Bowing and looking after him.)”; “(Taking the cigar from his mouth.)”).

4. When these instructions are for vocal inflection, tone, etc. (e.g.: "(Aside.)") I will read as these instruct, rather than read the instruction itself.

5. On page {286} there is a footnote. I think that reading the footnote disrupts the flow of play, and it would not be part of the dialog if the play were actually being performed. However, if you prefer it to be read I will find the most appropriate spot to do so.

What do you think? Please let me know if you agree or if you have another preference.

Very best regards,

rich
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTIONS - 5, 6

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

noisydaddy wrote: April 6th, 2019, 7:29 am
Lynnet wrote: April 4th, 2019, 6:00 am
Regards,

rwg
Enjoy!
Lynnet,

I have a couple of items to run by you to be sure this turns out the way you'd like.

1. There are a fair number of characters in this short passage. I plan to read the name of the character when speaking their lines. I plan to have a dedicated character voice for a few of the main characters (e.g.: Turnstile, Lord Flumm, Lady Flumm, Smooth). If you prefer a more characters have a distinct sounding voice -- more like a readers' theater -- I'll have a go at it, but no promises.

2. Being a play, there are stage directions, usually in brackets. (e.g: “[Knock at the hall door.]”I will read those so that the listener can mentally picture how the characters are moving.

3. There are instructions to the actor, usually in parenthesis. I will read these when they pertain to movement (e.g.: “(Bowing and looking after him.)”; “(Taking the cigar from his mouth.)”).

4. When these instructions are for vocal inflection, tone, etc. (e.g.: "(Aside.)") I will read as these instruct, rather than read the instruction itself.

5. On page {286} there is a footnote. I think that reading the footnote disrupts the flow of play, and it would not be part of the dialog if the play were actually being performed. However, if you prefer it to be read I will find the most appropriate spot to do so.

What do you think? Please let me know if you agree or if you have another preference.

Very best regards,

rich
Hi Rich
Sorry I didn't get back to you... as you can see from my signature, we were totally technology-less all weekend (we had to rediscover conversation :shock: )
All your suggestions sound reasonable to me. I always find that when adding character voices, I get tied in knots and assign the wrong voices as I'm reading (Mr. Brown suddenly sounds exactly like Mr. Green... although I can usually make Mrs. Brown sound different :lol: ) It's up to you how much differentiation you use.
As for footnotes... to be honest, I hate them :evil: Please feel free to leave them out.
TwoRavens

Post by TwoRavens »

Could I claim Sections 17, 18 & 19, please?
Cheers,
Stephen
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

TwoRavens wrote: April 14th, 2019, 3:20 pm Could I claim Sections 17, 18 & 19, please?
Cheers,
Stephen
Absolutely!
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Claim sections 4 and 14 please.
Signature: KATHLEEN