[COMPLETE]World's Story 7: Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kikisaulite wrote: April 13th, 2019, 11:38 amI'd like sections 7 and 8 and 51, 52, 53 please!!!
hey, there you are :mrgreen: I knew you were back from the Dead Sea, so I was holding off on claiming for you. How was the holidays ? Did you float in the water ? Is it really impossible to drown there ? I find that so amazing to believe.

Thanks for claiming !

Sonia
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Kitty wrote: April 13th, 2019, 11:40 am
Kikisaulite wrote: April 13th, 2019, 11:38 amI'd like sections 7 and 8 and 51, 52, 53 please!!!
Did you float in the water ? Is it really impossible to drown there ? I find that so amazing to believe.

Thanks for claiming !

Sonia
He he... I do not know about drowning, the water is SOOO salty that you'd probably just die from the feeling of it getting in your eyes first. :lol: But yes, one really does float in the Dead sea, very strange feeling! And walking on salt crystals instead of sand seems also very strange. At first you think - oh, why does the salt not dissolve -- and then realize it is because there is so much of it that it can not dissolve anymore! Strange place.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kikisaulite wrote: April 13th, 2019, 11:48 amHe he... I do not know about drowning, the water is SOOO salty that you'd probably just die from the feeling of it getting in your eyes first. :lol:
ok, yes...getting a small sip of a wave in your mouth is probably deadly there :shock:
And walking on salt crystals instead of sand seems also very strange. At first you think - oh, why does the salt not dissolve -- and then realize it is because there is so much of it that it can not dissolve anymore!
is this uncomfortable to walk on ?

Well, an interesting experience in any case. Glad your holidays were fine !

Sonia
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello Sonia,
I would like to claim one of the stories about the Netherlands - is 60 still free?
Thanks,
Anna
Anna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lezer wrote: April 13th, 2019, 12:24 pmI would like to claim one of the stories about the Netherlands - is 60 still free?
hi Anna, welcome to the project. Great to have another native speaker of Dutch helping out here with the pronunciation :9: Yes, I can sign you up for 60. And I'm really curious why William was called the Silent...was he mute ?

Thanks !

Sonia
lezer

Post by lezer »

Thanks! I'd be happy to help out if there are any questions on pronunciation of Dutch names or terms.

If I remember correctly from my history lessons William of Orange got the nickname William the Silent (Willem de Zwijger in Dutch) because of his (diplomatic or strategic) habit of keeping things close to his chest, never revealing his whole intention, holding back. I'm looking for the correct English expression... Does this make sense?
Anna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lezer wrote: April 13th, 2019, 12:39 pm If I remember correctly from my history lessons William of Orange got the nickname William the Silent (Willem de Zwijger in Dutch) because of his (diplomatic or strategic) habit of keeping things close to his chest, never revealing his whole intention, holding back. I'm looking for the correct English expression... Does this make sense?
ah so that's why. :lol: ok yes you explanation makes sense. Thank you !

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kikisaulite wrote: April 13th, 2019, 11:48 am At first you think - oh, why does the salt not dissolve -- and then realize it is because there is so much of it that it can not dissolve anymore! Strange place.
Actually, my immediate thought about hypersaline lakes is ... how come the dry salt can lie around in them for a million years, but the moment it’s packaged and put on a supermarket shelf, it acquires a use-by date? :hmm:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I sort of looked around but didn't see your assignments somehow, but no matter. I will add more selections later no doubt. And of course I am honored to serve you as your listener. Jim :thumbs:
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Could I read the last two open sections on Switzerland please, 103 and 109?

Thanks! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Another thing I just recalled learning about from the Swiss grandma was “Jass”. A trick-taking card game with its own special deck of cards. I recall one suit was “Eichel” (acorns), though I don’t remember the rest. I have an idea that this game was also played across the border from Switzerland, but I don’t know whether it was in Austria or Germany.

I wonder whether this game is referenced anywhere in this book?

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: April 13th, 2019, 5:55 pmCould I read the last two open sections on Switzerland please, 103 and 109?
thank you, Ava, yes you can. Glad to have you participate here as well. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 13th, 2019, 5:18 pm Here is Section 4:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume07_004_tappan_128kb.mp3 21.61 KB
wow already a fist section done !!! And such a long one. Thank you, Jim. Will PL later, I'm about to go to the restaurant with my grandparents....

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: April 13th, 2019, 10:41 pmAnother thing I just recalled learning about from the Swiss grandma was “Jass”. A trick-taking card game with its own special deck of cards. I recall one suit was “Eichel” (acorns), though I don’t remember the rest. I have an idea that this game was also played across the border from Switzerland, but I don’t know whether it was in Austria or Germany.
I think I already heard about this game but I don't know the rules. Maybe Availle or Monika know more about it :hmm:

Well, I'll let you know if I happen to PL any reference to it in one of these sections ;)

Sonia