COMPLETE[FANTASY FIC] A Traveler from Altruria by William Dean Howells-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Thank you, sir!
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Sections 3 and 4 are PL OK. Thanks again to Foon and realisticspeakers for a job well done!
taniles1364

Post by taniles1364 »

Foon wrote: March 5th, 2019, 9:44 am
taniles1364 wrote: March 5th, 2019, 9:36 am I'm sure there is an answer to this somewhere else, but it takes time that I'm hoping to save by asking here. If the first two chapters are recorded in a female voice, would it be better if we stayed with a female voice throughout? Also, if the first reader pronounces a name a particular way, should different readers go with that pronunciation? Thanks.
Hi,
I'm not the book coordinator or meta coordinator here, but in general, we don't have such requirements--anyone can join in a group project. After all, there is such a wide range of voices, and you can never match perfectly; readers can be male or female, young or old, British or American or German or French or Russian or Chinese (etc), speaking slow or fast, etcetera etcetera. Basically the only time you might find something that's only open to 1 gender is in plays or dramatic works, where everyone acts out 1 role and it can help the listener's understanding to have gender-matched readers. And then it will be specified.

For your second question, regarding names--as I've just recorded it, I can tell you that there are no names in section 1, other than "Altruria" and "Altrurian", the pronunciation of which Jeff has posted about above. :)
Huge apologies folks! Thanks for the response Foon! I'l save all the explanations and excuses for my absence and tardy response, and simply beg for forgiveness. I have been working on my home studio among other things and I am ready to do some reading. I have to regroup on the process and such. Getting old and have to stay with something new for a while to make it stick. Appreciate your tolerance and guidance!
taniles1364

Post by taniles1364 »

Keeping the fact that I am a newbie in mind, I guess I had better start small and work my way up. I'd like to volunteer for Chapter 9. Not sure if you're allowed to record out of sequence, but can't imagine why not. I have only just submitted my 1-minute test, so I understand if it takes a while to give me the go ahead. Looking forward to being a part of the project!
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

taniles1364 wrote: March 26th, 2019, 4:31 pm Keeping the fact that I am a newbie in mind, I guess I had better start small and work my way up. I'd like to volunteer for Chapter 9. Not sure if you're allowed to record out of sequence, but can't imagine why not. I have only just submitted my 1-minute test, so I understand if it takes a while to give me the go ahead. Looking forward to being a part of the project!
I checked your one minute test, and it passes all the standard validation tests. I'm not sure who on LibriVox can officially give you the go-ahead to record, but I'm going to hold the section for you at this time pending approval of your test (Amy??). The only thing I noted is that your volume is right at the lower limit of what is acceptable (86.4). You should probably record a bit louder, or use normalization when you do the post-processing, so that your audio doesn't slip below the minimum.

Welcome to LibriVox!!

Jeff B.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Jeff and Taniles1364,
The test is approved in the Listeners Forum now.
Cheers,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
taniles1364

Post by taniles1364 »

Awesome Jeff, Amy! Looking forward to getting to work. Thanks for the volume suggestion Jeff.
brightwriter419

Post by brightwriter419 »

Hi, Jeff!

This story has kind of intrigued me; and I'd like to claim chapters 6 and 7, if I could.

Matt
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

brightwriter419 wrote: March 27th, 2019, 8:13 pm Hi, Jeff!

This story has kind of intrigued me; and I'd like to claim chapters 6 and 7, if I could.

Matt
Thanks Matt,

I now have you down for both chapters!
brightwriter419

Thanks, Jeff!

I saw your posts about how to pronounce the characters' names, etc. Did you have a certain pronunciation in mind for Mr. Twelvemough? I was thinking of using "TWELVE-mau".

Matt
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

brightwriter419 wrote: April 1st, 2019, 11:22 am I saw your posts about how to pronounce the characters' names, etc. Did you have a certain pronunciation in mind for Mr. Twelvemough? I was thinking of using "TWELVE-mau".
That is the pronunciation that I had in mind!
brightwriter419

Perfect! Thanks!

Matt
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Jeff,
I think I'm going to read this book in full, so I might as well claim another chapter! Can you sign me up for the next available one? :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
taniles1364

Post by taniles1364 »

Almost finished with Chapter 9 and would like to request Chapter 11 if I could. I understand if you want to hold off until I submit Chapter 9, which I should do by Monday. :) Foon was my inspiration here :wink: