[Complete] A Collection of Supreme Court Opinions - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

A Collection of Supreme Court Opinions by United States Supreme Court .

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/supreme-cases-from-1803-2010-by-united-states-supreme-court/
These cases involved questions that came before the Supreme Court that needed answers. The questions in order of appearance in this project are as follows.
Does Congress have the power to pass laws that override the Constitution? What shall we do about the international slave trade? In what respect does the right of an author differ from that of an individual who has invented a most useful and valuable machine? Is there any difference between property in slaves and other property? Can the House of Representatives impeach the President? Why were women excluded from suffrage in nearly all the states by the express provision of their constitutions and laws? Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? What is double jeopardy? What shall we do about a child born in the United States who has parents who are subjects of a different nation? Are lotteries legal? Should motion pictures be censured? Is speech protected under the First Amendment during wartime? Why did we stop saying the pledge of allegiance? Where does the idea of "one person, one vote" come from? How does the First Amendment protect us from a claim of defamation or libel? Is electronic eavesdropping legal? Why are churches tax free institutions? How was the decision to allow abortions made?

How to read sections.

We are attempting Word Perfect reading using the discretion of Colleen, the prooflistener.

We are reading main decisions only, not concurring or dissenting opinions or the syllabus.

Citations: This writ tests the validity of New York's permissive eavesdrop statute, N.Y.Code Crim.Proc. § 813-a, [n1] under the Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and Fourteenth Amendments.

You would read the citation above because it is the ruling under question.

The trial court upheld the statute, the Appellate Division affirmed without opinion, 25 App.Div.2d 718, 269 N.Y.S.2d 368, and the Court of Appeals did likewise by a divided vote. 18 N.Y.2d 638, 219 N.E.2d 295.
Read it this way.
The trial court upheld the statute, the Appellate Division affirmed without opinion and the Court of Appeals did likewise by a divided vote.

Use your best judgment with citations as well as with footnotes. Some footnotes provide no information others are crucial.

Say "quote" and "end of quote" around all quoted material unless it is very brief.
( Soupy)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): The links are in the Notes section of the Magic Window.
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Word Perfect

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( United States Supreme Court ) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 25
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    10. Original publication date (if known):
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Law; Culture & Heritage; *Non-fiction/Social Science

Keywords that describe the book: supreme court, court cases, judicial branch

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of A Collection of Supreme Court Opinions by The United States Supreme Court. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Say: "[Title in MW] For example Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137 decided February 24, 1803 Part 1 Then say: "Please note: This is a reading of the opinion of the court only. This reading does not include the syllabus or any concurring or dissenting opinions. For ease of listening this reading omits legal citations found within the text of the court’s opinion."

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section #]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Collection of Supreme Court Opinions by The United States Supreme Court . "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    supremecourtopinions_##_unitedstatessupremecourt_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. supremecourtopinions_01_unitedstatessupremecourt_128kb.mp3)

ID tags are no longer necessary. The system adds them.
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Artist: The United States Supreme Court
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: A Collection of United Sates Supreme Court Opinions

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by soupy on April 17th, 2019, 3:58 pm, edited 20 times in total.
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I'll set this up.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ready to go. Do you have a DPL in mind?
soupy

Post by soupy »

Do you have a DPL in mind?
Nope

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

I have it set up. I wonder if I didn't choose the right template. I tried to choose the one that would allow me to add text links.

Craig

Let me know if you have any questions.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

There is no template that specifically offers links to texts. You will need to do as you are doing -- however, when I tried clicking on your links, I got an "invalid" message unless I right-clicked and opened in a new tab.
You can link to the texts in the metadata if you wish, but that will not show up until the project is catalogued.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Is it possible for me to volunteer as DPL and also to claim some sections? Or should I pick one or the other?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
soupy

Post by soupy »

You can do both Colleen. I'll PL your reading.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Craig, if you add

target="new"

to the links, they work fine. David did the first one, and it tests perfectly 8-)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Lynnet :D

All fixed.

Did you put Colleen as DPL?

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

soupy wrote: April 11th, 2019, 8:43 am Thanks Lynnet :D

All fixed.

Did you put Colleen as DPL?

Craig
No. Senior moment :roll: Doing it now :thumbs:
Also moved to RW--short works

I've been told this is the preferred text for Supreme Court decisions:
https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-18-026/historical-supreme-court-cases-now-online/2018-03-13/
https://www.loc.gov/collections/united-states-reports/
soupy

Post by soupy »

I went with the links used in a previous project. The other project doesn't have any link.

https://librivox.org/author/4323?primary_key=4323&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

The link below takes us to pdfs that are not very reader friendly.

https://www.loc.gov/collections/united-states-reports/

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

I'll claim 3, 9 and 24, please!

I won't record these right away so I'll wait until the source text is cleared up.

Thanks!
Josh Kibbey
soupy

Post by soupy »

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

Thanks!

The PDF looks legible enough to read from but I can read from either.
Josh Kibbey