Editing in Audacity

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm having a beast of a time getting edits made. Is there a button or something I can click to make a visual mark on the scrolling 'sine waves' as I listen and that will mark when/where I have made a mistake needing corrections?

Your help appreciated.
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

You could use a label track. Usual shortcut keys are:
- Ctrl M to add a label at the current position during playback/recording. I think you can also use that to mark errors and stumbles as you record.
- Ctrl B to add a label at the currently selected edit position or selection (when you're not in play/record)

When you're inserting or deleting you need to ensure that you drag the cursor down in to the label track so you select the same interval in both tracks, otherwise your label track will get out of sync with your audio track.

You can delete the label track when you're finished with it.

Does that help?

-Ian
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This question sounds snarky, but I do not mean it that way:

Why would you need to mark places that need correction, rather than making the correction then and there? :hmm:

Unless you want to re-record, and you're not at the mic at that moment.

(I'm trying to figure out what you're doing, and maybe suggest a completely alternate method of editing.)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

When I stumble with a word or am uncertain about a pronunciation, I re-record the complete sentence until I get it right. Sometimes it takes three and even four new recordings. I'd like to mark just before the segments in question. Then I can erase easily what I do not want.

Does that make sense?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

GrayHouse wrote: April 11th, 2019, 3:10 pm You could use a label track. Usual shortcut keys are:
- Ctrl M to add a label at the current position during playback/recording. I think you can also use that to mark errors and stumbles as you record.
- Ctrl B to add a label at the currently selected edit position or selection (when you're not in play/record)

When you're inserting or deleting you need to ensure that you drag the cursor down in to the label track so you select the same interval in both tracks, otherwise your label track will get out of sync with your audio track.

You can delete the label track when you're finished with it.

Does that help?

-Ian
Thank you, Ian. That seems to make sense. I'll have a look.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: April 11th, 2019, 3:55 pm When I stumble with a word or am uncertain about a pronunciation, I re-record the complete sentence until I get it right. Sometimes it takes three and even four new recordings. I'd like to mark just before the segments in question. Then I can erase easily what I do not want.

Does that make sense?
Yep, makes sense! What a lot of people do in those cases is make a loud noise such that it causes a spike in the wave form. Snap of the fingers (if you can snap loud enough), click of the tongue (if your mic is sensitive enough), clap of the hands, air horn (ok, kidding on this one)... what we do not recommend is to tap the mic, as this can damage the mic over time.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: April 11th, 2019, 4:20 pm
KevinS wrote: April 11th, 2019, 3:55 pm When I stumble with a word or am uncertain about a pronunciation, I re-record the complete sentence until I get it right. Sometimes it takes three and even four new recordings. I'd like to mark just before the segments in question. Then I can erase easily what I do not want.

Does that make sense?
Yep, makes sense! What a lot of people do in those cases is make a loud noise such that it causes a spike in the wave form. Snap of the fingers (if you can snap loud enough), click of the tongue (if your mic is sensitive enough), clap of the hands, air horn (ok, kidding on this one)... what we do not recommend is to tap the mic, as this can damage the mic over time.
I made sense! Hahahah!

Thanks for the help!

(Where are my castanets?)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

(Where are my castanets?)
:lol:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You can just take a deep breath, watch till there is a space you can see in the waves, and try again, the gaps show up when you edit.

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Thank you!
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

Get a cheap, dog clicker from a pet supply store.
https://www.chewy.com/starmark-pro-training-clicker-dog/dp/45499?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Starmark&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIitrJ0oTM4QIVl7jACh0qkwEJEAQYASABEgIdWvD_BwE

I also keep a clickable, ballpoint pen in my booth. I usually hold it while recording, much like a conductor's wand. Although I typically snap my fingers a couple of times, to mark re-takes, I guess one could click the pen, up close to the mic, for a similar effect.
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

I saw this tip and thought it was great...mark each take. First error gets 1 click, next gets 2, third gets 3 etc. this lets you see pretty well how far back you can delete.

Another option - switch to punch and roll recording. Doing this, you basically start each take fresh, erasing the bad phrase. This is great for errors; doesn’t work if you want to choose from different takes. Audacity has it as does (for free) Ocenaudio and Studio One prime.
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Okay - newbie question here.

What is a label track? I have actually become pretty comfortable finding & deleting errors, re-recording small sections and inserting where needed. I just work with the track that has the blue waves and spikes. I assume that is the audio track. What is a label track?

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

When I find out, I'll tell you. (I bet someone will beat me to an explanation.)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Here's the page from the online manual.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/creating_and_selecting_labels.html

A label track allows you to annotate a recording in a separate non-audible (?) track. This is good for marking the beginnings of questions and answers in an interview, for instance.