COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 012 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

mightyfelix wrote: April 8th, 2019, 3:37 pm Thanks, Campbell. Yes, I think you're right, and that the "his wife" at 2:12 seems to be superfluous. No need to fiddle with the volume, though. You never know how the editor will need to change the volume, either up or down, and I'd prefer to do all of that fiddling myself.
Ok, good to know. My thought was that if he was already in there it wouldn't hurt, but apparently there's a possibility it may, so better not to :D. Thanks!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Hello - I am interested in reading. I've not participated in a dramatic works reading before, just chapters from texts. I see two openings, The Old Woman and Angel. But I am confused about where I go to look over the script. There are so many links and I don't see anywhere in the MW that indicates the specific one.

Sorry if this is a lame question, but I'd love to participate if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

BetsyWalker wrote: April 8th, 2019, 5:11 pm Hello - I am interested in reading. I've not participated in a dramatic works reading before, just chapters from texts. I see two openings, The Old Woman and Angel. But I am confused about where I go to look over the script. There are so many links and I don't see anywhere in the MW that indicates the specific one.

Sorry if this is a lame question, but I'd love to participate if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Betsy

Hey Betsy!

Someone will be around soon to place your claim but I just saw your post and wanted to say hang tight, we're glad to have you in drama!

I understand how complicated the first post of the One Act Collection is, so for starters, here are the links to the plays in question so you can, at the very least review the plays right away.

5. A DOLLAR by David Pinski (BC for this play is benderca) WARNING: Although the play was published in 1920, Pinski died in 1959. This play not PD for some countries. Sorry
Text: https://archive.org/details/contemporaryonea00lewiuoft/page/324

6. Why the Chimes Rang by Elizabeth Apthorp McFadden (1875-1961) (BC for this play is silverquill) WARNING: Although the play was published in 1915, McFadden died in 1961. This play not PD for some countries. Sorry
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15290
Gender matched casting requested

Cheers!
Josh Kibbey
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BetsyWalker wrote: April 8th, 2019, 5:11 pmI see two openings, The Old Woman and Angel. But I am confused about where I go to look over the script. There are so many links and I don't see anywhere in the MW that indicates the specific one.
Hi Betsy,

well Josh already gave you the links to the plays. In the One-Act-Plays you'll always see a list of the plays at the beginning of the first post, with all the links. :)

Have you decided whether you want Old Woman, or Angel, or both ? It didn't come out clearly in your previous post.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Kitty wrote: April 9th, 2019, 4:29 am
BetsyWalker wrote: April 8th, 2019, 5:11 pmI see two openings, The Old Woman and Angel. But I am confused about where I go to look over the script. There are so many links and I don't see anywhere in the MW that indicates the specific one.
Hi Betsy,

well Josh already gave you the links to the plays. In the One-Act-Plays you'll always see a list of the plays at the beginning of the first post, with all the links. :)

Have you decided whether you want Old Woman, or Angel, or both ? It didn't come out clearly in your previous post.

Sonia
Hi and thanks to you both, Sonia and Josh. I did see all of the links above the MW, but it wasn't clear to me which ones applied to the two available characters I saw. But looking again now, I see that the MW has a blank line between the plays to distinguish one from the other. Sorry I didn't notice that before! So I'm very grateful for the guidance on that, Josh. Sonia, I'm headed off to work just now, but now that I know what links to use, I will look over the two parts and get back this evening, if that's okay. I am very excited to participate in this!

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

NemoR wrote: March 7th, 2019, 3:05 pm Hi Larry,

Holger for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/whythechimesrang_holger_mcfadden.mp3

10:10
Thanks, Nemo! So well read for this part. :D
Just two missing lines at about 6:49 highlighted below:

HOLGER. Good-bye! (STEEN goes out and shuts the door. There is a moment's pause whileHOLGER stands staring at the closed door, then he suddenly runs toward it) Oh, wait, wait for me, Uncle, I will go! (He opens the door, starts to go through it, then stops, turns and looks at the Woman, is drawn slowly backward by his gaze and comes in closing the door) No!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: March 18th, 2019, 12:04 pm Thanks! Here is Bertel for Why the Chimes Rang. A charming little play.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/whythechimesrang_bertel_mcfadden.mp3

Thanks!
Aaron
Superbly played! You've caught the essence of the uncle perfectly. :clap:
PL OK.
~ Larry
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

I stole some time this morning to read "A Dollar". I think it would be really fun to read for The Old Woman. So I'd like to request that part.

Where would I go to learn the tune for the little "sing-a-long"?

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BetsyWalker wrote: April 9th, 2019, 10:03 amI stole some time this morning to read "A Dollar". I think it would be really fun to read for The Old Woman. So I'd like to request that part.

super ! I'll sign you up for that part.

As for the tune...I'm not involved in this play as it's not PD for me as European-based. Let's wait for the BC (TJ/benderca) to chime in on that. It may be she only wants it recited, not sung, or if sung, you may invent your own tune. Possiblities are endless. In any case, with tunes we need to be extra careful that they also are in the public domain (for example, even if Mozart's tunes are PD, don't go and copy a modern interpretation of Pavarotti found on youtube :lol: )

Let's wait for TJ to give you her idea about it....

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
benderca

Post by benderca »

BetsyWalker wrote: April 9th, 2019, 10:03 am I stole some time this morning to read "A Dollar". I think it would be really fun to read for The Old Woman. So I'd like to request that part.

Betsy
Hi Betsy! Welcome aboard:

A Dollar:
https://archive.org/details/contemporaryonea00lewiuoft/page/324

Concerning the “musical Hamlet,” the stage directions say “The COMEDIAN sings the refrain alone at first and the others repeat it together with him.”

ALL: Tra-la-la, tra-la-la,
Over us, under us.
Tra-la-la, tra-la-la,
Under us, over us.
Now we are jolly, jolly are we.

The second time, the stage directions read: “REFRAIN [Same as before.]”
So one more time:

ALL: Tra-la-la, tra-la-la,
Over us, under us.
Tra-la-la, tra-la-la,
Under us, over us.
Now we are jolly, jolly are we.

At around 3:45 and again at 4:08 Jim, as the Comedian, sings his splendid and entertaining version of the musical Hamlet. You can all follow his pace:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/adollar_comedian_pinski.mp3

Please also read the lines for "ALL" and "WOMEN."

If you feel like it, you can also cry. All three women cry at some point. This is entirely optional (as it’s conveyed in the stage directions), but it could be hilarious if the women do some sobbing.

So if you feel like having some fun with it, add a little crying where the stage directions say: [The women weep all the louder.]

If you'd like, you can add a little exclamation or a "tra-la-la" where it the stage directions say: [The women dance and sing.]

Thanks!
TJ
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: April 9th, 2019, 1:24 pm
BetsyWalker wrote: April 9th, 2019, 10:03 amI stole some time this morning to read "A Dollar". I think it would be really fun to read for The Old Woman. So I'd like to request that part.

super ! I'll sign you up for that part.

As for the tune...I'm not involved in this play as it's not PD for me as European-based. Let's wait for the BC (TJ/benderca) to chime in on that. It may be she only wants it recited, not sung, or if sung, you may invent your own tune. Possiblities are endless. In any case, with tunes we need to be extra careful that they also are in the public domain (for example, even if Mozart's tunes are PD, don't go and copy a modern interpretation of Pavarotti found on youtube :lol: )

Let's wait for TJ to give you her idea about it....

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia!

I think we're safe with Jim's PD version of "musical hamlet" (although, I must say it is pretty close to Pavarotti singing Mozart... :lol: :lol: :lol: ). I do hope to get it in perfect 7-part harmony when we're finished though... :D
benderca

Post by benderca »

benderca wrote: March 1st, 2019, 6:29 pm
jfgallagher wrote: February 26th, 2019, 6:18 pm Todd,

Looks like everyone was waiting for me to go first, so here is my rendition of The Comedian from "A Dollar":

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/adollar_comedian_pinski.mp3
recording time 09:35

Please pardon my "singing"! At least this way no one will have to worry about keeping up with the tune...since there isn't one! :lol:

Let me know if there is anything that I need to fix.

Jim G.
Thanks, Jim! Of course we were waiting for you -- you are, after all, the star of the show! Can't wait to listen to it! :D
Fantastic performance, Jim!

Your laughing and singing were convincing and very entertaining -- I especially loved your donkey call!

You said "lodging" instead of "lodgings" at 1:27 and left out an "a" at 8:55, but neither change the meaning, so they're fine as is.

THE COMEDIAN is PL OK! Thanks!
TJ
benderca

Post by benderca »

jennlea wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 7:30 pm TJ,

Here is the new audio file with the refrain and the crying. I hope I put all the crying in the right place!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/adollar_ingenue_pinski.mp3
2:26
Super, Jenn! Wonderful crying (you are a natural!) and what a beautiful singing voice! Ha! I thought I was kidding above about the 7-part harmony, but this is impressive (we may have something here... :D ). I'm going to have fun putting this together.

Great performance! THE INGENUE is PL OK! Thanks!
TJ
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hi Larry,

Holger for Spot PL .... between 6:50 - 7:00

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/whythechimesrang_holger_mcfadden.mp3
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MW updated.