COMPLETE The Life and Times of Kateri Tekakwitha by Ellen Walworth - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

The Life and Times of Kateri Tekakwitha The Lily of the Mohawks by Ellen Walworth (1832 - 1915).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-life-and-times-of-kateri-tekakwitha-the-lily-of-the-mohawks-by-ellen-walworth/

Saint Kateri Tekakwitha's lifespan of only about 24 years was spent in utter humility and penitence. In spite of her natural diffidence, she summoned the strength to assert her desire to become a Christian and to consecrate herself as a virgin, and even had the courage to take part in a dangerous escape from her tyrannical uncle. This biography of her life fills in many details of the history, geography, and important persons and events of Kateri's time and setting in New York and Canada from 1656 to 1680. Interestingly, these same years were a turning point for the Jesuit missionaries in New France, as their relations with the Indians underwent a change from suffering fearful persecution to achieving widespread conversion, thanks in at least a small part to the influence of the humble Kateri. The book's many first hand accounts by eye witnesses are a highlight. Readers may also appreciate the author's personal research and descriptions of the locations where all the events of Kateri's life took place. The author's greatest achievement in this book is that she helps the reader to understand and love Saint Kateri. ( Carol Pelster)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/37421/pg37421.txt
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: Gm380sQd

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Ellen Walworth) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Hardin_Walworth

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 26
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1891
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage; *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Biographies; *Non-fiction/History

Keywords that describe the book: lives of saints, women in american history, new york history, american catholic history, saint kateri tekakwitha, 17th century us history

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Life and Times of Kateri Tekakwitha The Lily of the Mohawks. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Life and Times of Kateri Tekakwitha, The Lily of the Mohawks, by Ellen Walworth. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Life and Times of Kateri Tekakwitha, The Lily of the Mohawks by Ellen Walworth. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Life and Times of Kateri Tekakwitha The Lily of the Mohawks, by Ellen Walworth. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename lifeandtimesofkateritekakwitha_##_walworth_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lifeandtimesofkateritekakwitha_01_walworth_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Ellen Walworth
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Life and Times of Kateri Tekakwitha, The Lily of the Mohawks

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by carolpelster on June 17th, 2019, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Carol, I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you! I shortened the file name that the template generator gave us, that one was way too long! If you want to shorten it anymore, feel free. We will wait here a day or so to see if we can pick a DPL.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Great. Thanks.
Carol
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

May I be the DPL for this project? This looks interesting and I know very little about this saint.

Thanks,
Betty
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Thanks. I am very happy to have you volunteer.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

libraryanne wrote: April 6th, 2019, 5:42 am May I be the DPL for this project? This looks interesting and I know very little about this saint.

Thanks,
Betty

You are in as DPL, thanks Betty!

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I recorded the Preface today. I am not experienced enough to know whether it is standard procedure to include the preface? Do you know? If not, we can take it out. Ordinarily, I eschew prefaces. But this one wasn't too bad.
Carol
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

It is totally up to you whether you include the preface or not. I usually do, but some don't. Since this preface is a good one, I don't see any reason to not include it if you would like to.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I have uploaded sections 1 and 2. 19th century books seem to abound in geographical description.
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
Section 1 is PL OK. I'll PL section 2 later today. :)

Betty
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I've PL'ed section 2 and there's a difference you might want to redo:

At 4:38 you might want to recheck the pronunciation of Schenectady in “. At Schenectady it lingers among islands in pretty, narrow ways..”
please refer to
https://howjsay.com/search?word=Schenectady

Let me know whether or not you want to change this.

The rest of the section is fine.

Betty
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Thanks for filling me in on how to pronounce Schenectady. Oh, those Dutch words! I must admit that I am making up the pronunciation of the unknown Indian names and words as I go along. I hope they won't be too objectionable.
I uploaded a revised version of Chapter 1 with a revised pronunciation of Schenectady, and also Chapter 2.
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Hi,
Section 2 is now all set! And section 3 is PL OK too.

Very fine reading. :)

Regards,
Betty
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I uploaded section 4 today.