LibriVox and Ubuntu

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Greetings!

I'm ready to switch from Windows to Ubuntu and would like to hear any suggestions from those of you who've done the same.

What should I expect? How should I prepare? Will I be able to use "Checker"? Thank you for your help!

Peace be with you,
Sister
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

I am working on Ubuntustudio. It is a non-official flavor of Ubuntu which comes with a lot of audio-, video- and graphics software. Of course you can add the programs you need to Ubuntu or one of the official flavors, too.

I use Ardour, it works fine. Ubuntustudio also comes with Audacity. Usually works fine, too. Sound can, due to pulseaudio, sometimes be tricky, but in general it works. https://ubuntuforums.org/ usually has answers to questions you might have :)
Java might have hassles to install, but if you have it, checker will work - I do have it and use it.
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Thank you, Monika! I'd forgotten that Checker uses Java. I can't keep that updated even on Windows.

I appreciate your other comments as well and will keep them in mind while I'm exploring my options.

Peace be with you,
Sister
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I've been using Ubuntu longer than I've been using Librivox so I can't help with your switch over but I've bookmarked this thread to check back in case you have any questions down the road. I have Checker installed and haven't encountered any problems with it. I use Audacity for recording and editing.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
loon

Post by loon »

I use Linux Mint, which is downstream of Ubuntu. Checker and Audacity work perfectly for me. You should have no problems.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Thank you, Bev and Rich!

Peace be with you,
Sister
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Egad, I'm so embarrassed. I thought this might be a philosophy thread.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Just my congratulations for switching to Ubuntu :D :clap: